My First Rig Build 1080 Ti GPUs

Based on @BUTUZ numbers, to keep your PSU in the sweet spot you would want 198w @685 sols or less.

Remember the mobo,cpu,fan(s), and HD use 100w to 150w alone

2 Likes

No doubt, Thanks for chiming in. Being conservative and bumping up the 1080ti needs to 250 W each then, the 1000W PSU should still cover everything for 3 cards. In fact at his highest numbers I’d come in at 1008W if the rest of the gear draws 150 W. I’ll stick with it for now unless I can get something bigger for comparable value

You might be better off with something like the EVGA Supernova P2 1200W. It does cost more than the P2/1000W version. But you get more efficiency, and the ability to run another GPU later. Also, you probably don’t want to be running your PSU at full tilt 24/7 (even though the EVGA/P2 sports a 10-year Warrantee). Imho.

1 Like

Finally I have built my rig. Sorry for the huge delay. I only have two cards right now. But here is my build. Any questions or comments are welcome! I hope this helps somewhat for people wanting to build a rig with 1080 Ti’s.

• Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB Graphic Cards GV-N108TAORUS X-11GD

• Crucial 4GB Single DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) CL15 SR x8 Unbuffered DIMM 288-Pin Desktop Memory CT4G4DFS8213

• Intel BX80677G3930 7th Gen Celeron Desktop Processors

• ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard

• CHICPICK USB3.0 PCI-E PCI Express 1X to 16X Riser Card Adapter, Mining Dedicated Graphics Card Extension Cable with SATA Power Slot Connector ,60CM US

• SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB Solid State Drive (SDSSDA-120G-G26) [Newest Version]

• EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 80+ GOLD, 1600W Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready 10 Year Warranty Power Supply 120-G2-1600-X1

I do have a question.

I have two of the Aorus 1080 ti and one of them is running at 76 degrees C while the other is running at 67 degree C.

They are not near each other, not connected to the monitor, pulling same wattage and putting out the same sol/s.

Anyone have any guess as to why?

Thanks for the tip, So far I’ve got the rig at 2 1080ti’s and a 1060 6GB running on an 850W PSU and it seems to be running ok. (Using the 1000W on a diff rig, also bought a 1200W for a 4x RX580 rig but can swap out as needed).

No idea, but I experience something similar, but my two 1080ti’s are SLI’d as well (its my gaming/htpc machine when its not mining). Card 1 runs close to 80 degrees at full power, while card 2 runs below 70. But I usually decrease power and increase fan speed on card 1 to get cooler temps, but then sol/s suffer. Hopefully the tradeoff is longer lifespan of the card

With AMD cards you can check the ASIC quality via GPU-Z, but I don’t think that works for Nvidia GPUs - That way you could tell if one of them has better capacity.

Do you use the Precision-X utility, and do both cards show the same settings?

Others on the forum report much greater efficiency, for Cash mining, when the Power (& Temp) is dialled down.

I Have a MSI Aero 1080ti making 684 sol/s at 100% power, +150 core +500 mem at full speed cooler.
I want to upgrade another 1080ti, maybe Gigabyte AORUS, but I saw this article http://yiimp.ccminer.org/bench?algo=all&chip=387 based on real users, what do you think guys?

Is the one that is plugged into the monitor/ gpu0 the hotter one? That might be the cause.

I use Afterburner on both cards. They both have the same settings applied to them.

The one that is hotter is the GPU1 actually. Neither of the GPUs are plugged into the monitor.

At least I am not the only one experiencing the same problem. But it is a bit odd why it is though.

Besides the odd temperature, it is running without any problem for me

Just an update! I got two more 108Ti’s I could only run one of them because I ran out of SATA cables. Will probably get another PSU or if anyone knows where I can get individual EVGA SATA power cables please share! I will be sharing a screenshot of my Afterburner and miner soon.

I use ZEC, how do you get it to display the stats so nicely?

Using Nvidia Zec miner 0.3.3b it displays fancy stats like wattage automatically and seems as fast as claymore.

Here is my pic, shipped from amazon to VN.
GPU0 to GPU3 is EVGA, GPU4-5 is Gigabyte

What is the model of the EVGA?

It’s FTW3. Amazon.com <3

Guyz help!! I am buying 8 EVGA 1080 ti FTW3 will i be able to run all 8 cards on 1 mobo!? will i be able to overclock that !? thnaks