My First Rig Build 1080 Ti GPUs

Why are you posting the SAME question in multiple threads?

lol wanted a quick reply!! Chill BRO

Great job, you just ensured that I will no longer be answering ANY of you posts/questions, and when others see how rude you are they probably will not either.
Have a great day and good luck on your build.

2 Likes

Got to love the people who do no work. I should sell them completed computers for 25-40% margins. They would have no idea that they are getting taken…

1 Like

Are you overclocking the memory and core at all? It doesn’t look like you are undervolting.

add --pec to the bat file to get the fancy watts and watts/sol graph

Thanks!! It is working

I have built 3 of the 8x 1080 Ti rigs - you can run them fine with 2600w or 2400w worth of PSU.

1. EVGA 1600 G2 + EVGA 1000 G3
  2. HP 2400W Server PSU w/ Pico Setup from Parallel Miner (most cost efficient method but requires 208V+ for their cheapest solution. Still cheaper than consumer PSU even w/ 120V version.)

Hope this helps. Each card (FE cards anyway) run 250W at 100 TDP. So you’re looking at roughly 2050-2100w total including mobo and cpu.

But you need a 30amp breaker, right?

No, a 20A breaker works fine for an 8x 1080 Ti rig.

Quick math:

Eight 1080ti at 250w each = 2000w
cpu,fan,mobo,HD, misc fans, = 150w
2000w+150+= 2150w
2150w / 110v = 19.545454 amps…

Any additional overclocking, increase of power to the cards or and if you are TRULY getting 110v from the outlet would make a 20A breaker an unwise option. Will it work, yes. Should you do it, no.

If the voltage drops, from your provider, to say 105v you are now at 20.48A, and POP goes the breaker

Couple of things here. We are on 120V power and have been running many of these rigs on 20 amp breakers for months without any issue. They literally pull 2086w from the wall via a killawatt meter at 100 TDP.

1 Like

Just for informational purposes where are you (Country/state/province) and who is your power company? For my day job I work with dozens of utility companies (seven that distribute power) and it is rare that a power company delivers a constant 120v.

Are your rigs perchance connected behind a UPS system to provide a constant 120v? If that is the case then yes you can get away with a 20A breaker, other’s not so much.

Located in the US. The rigs are plugged directly into a 20A receptacle. No UPS. These are for the rigs at my apartment.

In the warehouse, we run groups of 3x 1080 Ti rigs into a 208V outlet via an APC PDU @ 80 TDP. Up the chain, each PDU has a dedicated 30A breaker. The PDUs run at roughly 24A which is 80% of what they are capable of but perfect for running 24/7.

However, before we installed the new power outlets, we were running each 8x 1080 Ti rig at 120V to a 20A breaker. No issues there either.

I run 2x fully overclocked (2ghz) aorus 1080 ti xtremes at full mining load with a skylake i7, 3 mechanical hdd and 1 ssd at 4k on a 850w PSU and it runs fine. No hiccups whatsoever that I have seen.

If you want 8x 1080 tis running stock clocks you’ll want 280w per card, so 2,240 watts for the gpus + another 650 for the risers (50 watts each) and mobo/cpu/ssd. an 850w PSU gives you plenty for that plus overhead for spikes in load.

Keep in mind that many residential circuits (in the US) are NOT built for that kind of load, so you’ll either need dedicated circuits for the rigs or you’ll have to power the PSUs from separate locations to divide the amperage drawn from your breaker panel.

If you want to go big like this, I would advise starting with an 850w psu to power what you’re getting now because the price point is not outrageous, then when you build a full rig, use server PSUs and breakout boards because they’re more cost effective and efficient to run. Any server PSU over 1200w will need a 220v circuit though, so you’re probably going to want 2x 1200w PSUs to power the GPUs to keep it on 110v unless you’ve already got wiring that will carry 220. That’ll draw about 30 amps total under full load, so keep that in mind when you’re figuring things out.

good luck!

What volts is your kill-a-watt telling you are coming through the outlet. We have 110-120v service but almost always get around 112-114v at the plug. Point being, I wouldn’t advise counting on consistency at 120v because the range for residential standards is 110-120v, and if you don’t have any overhead when your power dips below 120v then your rig shuts off and the breaker trips. Downtime can get expensive when you’re pulling 6000 sol/s on a rig =)

Still have three 8x 1080 Ti rigs running at 120V on a 20A breaker - they have been running solid for 3+ months and haven’t tripped a breaker yet. Killawatt meter shows 116-118V.

What powerlimits are you using, out of curiosity.

By my math one rig with 8x 1080 ti @ 100% TDP, assuming the cards draw 250w and are not overclocked at all, that gets really close to a 20A limit without any other hardware. 2000w for the cards + PSU minimum overhead of 6% + about 400w in risers (50w each), ssd, mobo/cpu is almost 22A at 115v.

And you have THREE of these on a 20A circuit? What kind of hashrate are you getting?

Overclocking the cards doesn’t pull more power - common misconception. We only have one rig per 20A breaker - I get how that could have sounded like I meant 3 rigs per breaker. At 100 TDP for FE cards, total system draw with an i-7700 and 16gb of RAM is just under 2100w.

Also, risers don’t pull 50w, not even close. A lot of people don’t understand that risers will pull almost 0 watts if the cards are powered adequately by the PSU. The combined draw (even if a card is in the PCI slot itself with no riser) between the card, the riser and the PCI slot is 250 watts.