AMD Hardware GPU Questions

With GPU there are not a lot currency you can mine…, and ETH looks not really better, with monero you need free electricity. You play against the big guys with botnets and chinese with cheap prices …

PS: But if you mine for yourself and not for profit because you believe in cryptocurrencie, go for amd =).

thanks for the reply, but I’m not asking AMD vs. Nvidia.

I’m asking would you buy 2 2GB cards or 1 4GB card?

I would buy 8 gb cards (faster memory bus). RX470 or RX480.

that doesn’t help… but thanks anyways

But at minimum 4 GB cards for mining.

RX 470 8 GB is the sweet spot if you can get new w/ warranties ~$220 or less.

44 - 50 Sol/s w/ memory strap bios mod.

Interesting, so you wouldn’t even go with multiple 2 gb cards then?

No because in 2 months you won’t be able to use them for ETHEREUM.

Who knows if ZEC will be around by then.

Memory requirements of Eth and others based on that same alg and perhaps others are only growing in size as time progresses.

2GB Cards have their days numbered before they are useless in the scope of GPU mining with a certain subset of profitable cryptos.

Very interesting perspective guys thanks, I’ll prob stick to 4gb cards then.

Go for 4GB or even 8GB cards. Some miners need a lot of video memory!

The RX 470/480 perform very good at zcash and eth. I have a setup with 12x RX470 cards. Struggeling with driver setup right now, but when I get it up and running, I’ll mine some zcash undtil the profit drops below eth. After that I hopp over to eth mining as it seems to be quite stable right now.

You can never tell the future, just guess, but you can always fail. You never know. But hey, no risk - no fun! :wink:

Yea that was the plan for me too - switch over to ETH if zcash fails. Might even do it sooner because I keep reading zcash isn’t (and won’t) be worth anything. This is my first time mining any type of cryptocurrency. At least the 470/480 will have some re-sale value too.

my rx 460 2gb hashrate is around 70-80 sol/s…
and don’t know yet if I need more to invest / pursue ???

Anyone got some hashrate numbers on the RX 470 and RX 480 ?

I get about 11H/s on an RX470/4G using my OpenCL kernel ported from @tromp’s work.

1 Like

The variance is actually quite high. On consectutive 5 second runs, I get between 10-15 H/s. What’s surprising is that my old 7950 is only able to squeeze out between 2.5 and 5H/s.

Hi are you working on a gpu open source miner which is what im looking for
i have 2 5 cards rigs atm one rig running rx470 8gig nitro cards.
im new to all this and linux so any hints or tips where to look and learn
would be greatly received .

Is this your private miner ?

It’s still private, its future depends on what @tromp does with the solver.

It’s way too early to say something about which card is most efficiënt, especislly if two cards are of the same generation like RX470/480. I hope to test Fury and 390X tomorrow. Would be nice if we can match @jtoomim.

3 Likes

Can you also test a 290(x)?

sorry to sound like the total noob i am but i thought its only cpu and ram mining for zcash? also how to enable gpu to mine on test?