Risers: Version 3.0 vs. Version 6.0?

I have a few risers that look like this, got it from a local pc store which didn’t really understand what they’re selling:

Is this a Version 3.0 card or a version 6.0 card? And more importantly, because I have other cards which specifically say the version on them, what is really the difference between version 3.0 and version 6.0? Can someone give an explanation?

Hmm… Not sure. The “common” style of them is like below - which when you look at the photo shows “VER006C” indicating version 6. The one below also has a PCI-E connector rather than molex that yours does.

No difference, only color and maybe power connectors

That card is a version 03 card. The main difference with 6 is the power circuitry and connector are better on the 6. I suggest in the future you get the version 6 cards-- you can tell they are 6 because they have the 6 pin power connector (yours is 4 pin)

But those four pins are ok to use. Just don’t use the SATA Adapters that they come with and find a good high amperage 4 pin cable to support them (these often come with 2 or 3 for pin connectors on them)

You can tell the version on the part number- on yours it says PCE164P-NO3 – the NO3 is common on all version threes. On the sixes it often says V06 – it’s just the number not the V or N that matters.

Please do not post false information if you’re not sure about it at all. A pcie connector doesn’t mean it’s version 6 at all! (Although it is half true for the time being)

NO3 is the ‘variant’ of the riser, they have other boards with the same purpose, but different size and possibly components. As for version I’m not too sure if V00x changes anything but colour, but the letter printed after the numbers signify the power connecter, V007S has a sata connector, V006C for pcie connector, these only appeared in market recently(PCB holes for them have been there since the V001 board), the pcie version costs more as i believe they use a different method to convert some of the power to 3.3v. V006 also exists with just a molex connector.

The board posted by OP above is either made by an entirely different manufacturer or printed with another name.
To clarify: It does look the same as the usual boards, just that the name is different, maybe build quality too(For better or worse).

So, you admit this board is not using the scheme you talked about, and you talked about V001 being earlier than V006, but V006 is not version 6?

OK

I would assume the manufacturers had some common sense and named their product V001 before they named a V006? Also, when did I mention V006 is not version 6(What else can V stand for?) If you were referring to my first sentence, I meant that the manufacturers may come out with V007C in the future.
I just said there may not be a difference in versions except for the color scheme and perhaps components.
The whole second paragraph was just to correct the errors you posted before, fyi.

All I’m trying to do is answer the OP and reduce confusion with the board names/types with a proper argument and statement. I do wish people understood that not everybody is trying to provoke them by replying with the opposite of what they said.

There is already a version 7.

Then don’t claim people are posting false information when they are not. You have basically admitted I was correct.

Then don’t claim people are posting false information when they are not. You have basically admitted I was correct.

Odd,

That card is a version 03 card. The main difference with 6 is the power circuitry and connector are better on the 6. I suggest in the future you get the version 6 cards-- you can tell they are 6 because they have the 6 pin power connector (yours is 4 pin)
But those four pins are ok to use. Just don’t use the SATA Adapters that they come with and find a good high amperage 4 pin cable to support them (these often come with 2 or 3 for pin connectors on them)
You can tell the version on the part number- on yours it says PCE164P-NO3 – the NO3 is common on all version threes. On the sixes it often says V06 – it’s just the number not the V or N that matters.

Bold text is false and/or is half true.

My Correction

NO3 is the ‘variant’ of the riser, they have other boards with the same purpose, but different size and possibly components. As for version I’m not too sure if V00x changes anything but colour, but the letter printed after the numbers signify the power connecter, V007S has a sata connector, V006C for pcie connector, these only appeared in market recently(PCB holes for them have been there since the V001 board), the pcie version costs more as i believe they use a different method to convert some of the power to 3.3v. V006 also exists with just a molex connector.
The board posted by OP above is either made by an entirely different manufacturer or printed with another name.

Please tell me if I made a mistake, but I’m very sure you just posted more false information.
Also, what did I admit you were fully correct in?

If all you still see in your first post is “True information”, then my conversation with you here is done. I prefer not to waste time fighting a severely one sided argument.

You accused me of posting false information. That was a lie. You even admitted you don’t understand the markings on the board- and then quoted yourself admitting it again just now:

Your dishonest selective quotes and repeated dishonest assertions are not appreciated.

All you had to do was express your opinion. The fact you admit these markings don’t fit your knowledge would have made that opinion inoffensive. But making accusations towards other people is inappropriate.

1 Like

@nirvana @leroy627 After reading through this thread if I was the OP I still would not have a good answer to the simple question of “is this a V3 or V6 riser?”. Your disagreement has only served to cloud the issue.

Please try to treat each other with respect @leroy627 I don’t believe anyone is purposely trying to mislead anyone.

1 Like

I think we can agree that this is a later version of a PCI riser than was on the market two years ago, and that it uses markings that don’t make it’s version clear.

In the past I’ve observed the “N03” or “N06” indicating revisions from one manufacturer, but we don’t know if that’s what’s intended by this manufacturer.

I will say that on visual inspection it looks ok to use.

For buying new risers I suggest the ones with the 6pin PCI connector (so you avoid burning out a SATA to molex adapter) and I like the ones with the PCIe x1 USB port pointing sideways- away from the back of the computer.

What a debate… OP here to update that I’ve been using those for a month now and they’ve been super stable. Have received since then risers that are clearly marked V6 but saw no reason to replace those since they work well so far.

Thank you all.