My First Rig Build 1080 Ti GPUs

I’ve got a 8x 1080ti rig + 1 1080 in my gaming pc. I’ve tweaked my settings in afterburner to find a sweet spot in efficiency for my power costs. Right now I’m pulling about 650-670 sol/s from my 1080ti’s with efficiency of 3.7-3.8 sol/watt. I’ve noticed that my 1080 is significantly more efficient, pulling 500-510 sol/s at 114-119watts…so about 4.3 sol/watt. Depending on your power costs, the circuits in your home, and how much you pay for the 1080’s… a 1080 rig might be an overall better option. My 1080ti rig will pull over 6100 sol/s if I boost everything to the max, but it draws over 2600 watts at the receptacle (per the kill-a-watt) and reduces efficiency to about 2.7 sol/watt. With my power cost of $0.11/KWh, it’s would be marginally better ROI to run at full throttle like this (an extra $0.5/day or so), but for me it’s just not worth the extra noise and heat (at least in the summer). Also, neglecting efficiency can be problematic if Zcash happens to settle down at a lower value than it is currently. If you are HODL and paying for power out of pocket, you are going to be feeling a lot poorer…

I’m running 1x 1080 TI OC 1x 1070 and are just fine with 750w PSU and I’m feeling that it can take at least one more 1070.

That was written (on may 27th) when I was using gaming TDP information instead of mining TDP information.
A 1080TI stock will pull about 200w-230w while a OC will pull 250w-280w

A 1070 stock does about 150w and an O/C does 180w-200w

IF you are running stock, probably directly connected to your mobo since you are running only two cards, and its power needs I would guess you are pulling 530w. if you have risers for some reason, you are around 555w-580w

If OC, then you are around 600w, with risers around 625w-650w

If/when you add three, you will need risers and unless you are severely underclocking, no matter if you add a 1070 or 1080ti you will not have the room.

Hope this helps

Correct,by the way, what is your current 1080 TI settings and Sols if you can share because I’m a bit low 670-690
Thank you!

Try
Core +180
Mem + 600
100 power
Gets me 740h/s for under 250 watts.

1 Like

Hello BUTUZ , thank you for your reply
What miner you are using ?

My card is Gigabyte 1080 TI Gaming OC 11GB

EDIT:
Power 99
Core +160
Memory +500

710-720sols

Yes that sound correct for your clockspeeds. I have palit it was the cheapest out at the time (cheaper than the referece ones) and is decent clocker.

1 Like

Question: does it matter in terms of performance which version of 1080ti that I am going to get? I have got several water cooled 1080ti and it works great for me except for the expensive price tag. I saw some 1080ti with about $50 - $100 cheaper (MSI, ASUS, ZOTAC, Gigabyte) and I wonder if they can get to around 700 sol/s with +130 core +60 mem TDP 85%? And how’s the temperature range for this setting?

Thanks!

Hi everyone. I’m working on setting up my first Zcash mining rig. I’ve ordered the Asrok H110 Pro BTC+ motherboard so now looking towards GPUs. I can see that the best sol/s are from GTX1080 Ti’s. There are plenty out there. Are there any versions I should be buying or avoiding?

Also, I’m learning Linux Ubuntu as will use that as my OS when I setup the rig as I’ve read that it provides less compatibility problems with the GPU when you expand past 6. The H110 Pro BTC+ has 13 ports so I will eventually get 13 GPUs. Does anyone have any recommendations to not use Linux or is Windows preferred?

You will get better performance with less TDP using watercooled.
Yes with double or triple fan cooled, you can get that performance with this settings, but you will also put additional heat into the area.

@ajgallagher To my knowledge, you can not use more than 8 gpu’s of one brand in Windows. For the additional slots in Windows they have to be and manufacture type (AMD). I think to make it would it has to be a 7/6 split.
My understanding, in linux, all 13 (no matter type) are seen

1 Like

you are correct.

If you read my post I’m with Gigabyte 1080 TI OC GAMING 11GB managed to hit 710-730Sol ~250w

Great thanks for the info!

I’m using two of the MSI 1080Ti “Duke”. Here are my settings and sols/s
MSI Duke 1080ti

2 Likes

Are you water cooling? How are you keeping them that cool?

No, air cooling. Only 2 of them on the rig, and I keep it in my spare bedroom with the ceiling fan running. I alternate profiles between 80% power and 85% depending on how they are running. I like to keep them below 60 if I can. This pic is from when it was first built. It’s kind of a Frankenstein but it gets the job done.
IMG_3728

1 Like

You’ve got crazy good stats! Amazing job man!

I like the wooden rig too (and your fridge)! I wish you all the best for mining (and ice cubes)!

Hey guys - so we found a better solution for power from Parallel Miner. They are selling a 2400w 94% platinum PSU for $159 and that includes the breakout boards and all of the cables. You can also grab the ATX adapter for $39 and then you only need the single PSU for 8x 1080 Ti rigs. You could actually probably get at least 11, maybe 12 1080 Ti on the same rig with one PSU at 80 TDP.

Here is a link to order -

IMG_1815

1 Like

Update add One card

1 Like

Rafa…how did card temperatures change after you stuffed the 5th one in?

Looks very nice! :+1:t2: