Let’s talk about ASIC mining

You can’t see a difference between this:

“Question #2
The Zcash community wishes to preserve ASIC resistance, discouraging the use of ASIC mining equipment in favor of GPU mining equipment. The Zcash Foundation should therefore adopt this as a priority.”

and this?

“Question #3
The Foundation should commit to a plan for migrating the Zcash protocol to a new proof of work algorithm with a hard-fork planned between September 30, 2020 and December 31, 2020, with the following tasks: 1) Selecting a thermodynamically efficient (not ASIC-resistant!), currently unused proof-of-work algorithm 2) Hosting and building an open hardware specification for the selected PoW algorithm 3) Assembling a consortium of hardware companies to build hardware against this open specification, while encouraging upstream contributions 4) Building an open source, cross-platform, user-friendly, p2pool-esque piece of mining software for use with this hardware 5) Manage the hard fork upgrade process across users, wallets, exchanges.”

The latter question is far more descriptive and enthusiastic. The former gives very little information and describes none of the benefits of GPU mining (such as allowing more people to mine, and enabling people in countries with restrictive governments, like Venezuela, to earn Zcash). The two questions should have been made with a parallel construction – either both should be descriptive and persuasive, or neither should be.

2 Likes

These questions were proposed by different community members, I believe.

I voted against #2, but for #3 (despite the fact that it will brick the Z9 mini).

do i miss something? is the majority complaining about security? or is this thread about security?or did i qoute your post that was about security? i think not…

This question makes no sense unless they want to sell toasters to suckers, why not just use sha256 plenty of ASIC hardware available, how can you have question 2 and 3 on same ballot? do you not see the circular logic here, who is eligible to vote? people with accounts here, how come no email sent to registered users here?

actually no, seriously and honestly:

Question 1 is just clear and doesn’t need any wording at all. Even “We want asic resistance” would have done the job.

Questions 2 has more wording because it’s a not usual direction that can’t be written/explained just with 5 words.

And still i have seen these questions posted weeks ago, why didn’t someone mentioned it if it’s that blatant unfair uncorrect? Now after the voting a sudden it’s unfair.

1 Like

why not just use sha256 plenty of ASIC hardware available

Because this wouldn’t force miners to mine only Zcash. When miners switch based on profitability it leaves some coins less secure.

I don’t think many people here knew about this poll.

Second, the first question still could have been worded differently. For instance:

“The Zcash Foundation should honor its promise of ASIC resistance and modify the Equihash parameters to preserve GPU mining, which is accessible to more people than ASIC mining.”

Suddenly this choice is a lot more appealing, right?

3 Likes

Do you not see the fallacy in this line of thinking, it does not appear you know anything about ASIC or processor development, fabrication nodes, manufacturing volume, markets…let me simplify it for you BITMAIN will control Zcash.

2 Likes

It looks like Bitmain has a big competitor with Innosilicon. I think you’re completely wrong, especially due to the Zcash copyright being handed over to the foundation soon.

Like they are competing in Bitcoin mining now, sure.

Mining has always and will continue to change and evolve over time. Miners have to evolve also, or stop mining. It’s been this way since the beginning of cryptocurrencies.

This has to be the best forum topic/thread ever!..

What?
1.) Than how it comes, me as a relatively new member have readed them weeks ago?
2.) They are for weeks posted/discussed gifthub channel/foundation page? Anybody even checks them?
3.) There are several topics/references to them on the forum.
4.) 64+ voters knew about the questions for weeks but nobody mentioned them as unfair but only 2-3 guys here think they are unfair?
5.) It’s not just a random poll, it’s the Q2 Zcash Foundation Community Governance Panel Election by the foundation. And there are serveral crosspostings that people should candidate for some board places so they can vote in future…

Come on, not 1 single person posted anything upfront about unfair wording while for weeks it was openly available just for everybody interested in zcash. You know this just looks like the typical bad loser right now…

1 Like

There is no point arguing with you, how much is ZcashCo payed or was this the plan all along, I thank god for free market, save this post read it end of year.

If I had a ‘Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs’ why would I sell it to you?

2 Likes

Agree. Change is good. Let’s change the proof of work algorithm.

1 Like

I had to stop right there. You are too much :wink:

So by that statement we can finally agree that the most important thing is accessibility right? Then why not campaign for PoS.

You don’t care about ZEC eventually breaking away from the BTC tether and rather all focus be spent on protecting you.

Bitmain has sold roughly 10k units. What about the miner that sees a $850 a great way to get into crypto with very little knowledge. Or a small company that wants to mine but doesn’t want to deal with the headache of maintaining a GPU farm? Who cares? as long you make your nut right?

The priority must be sapling. What the hell is zcash then. Just another coin? Do you want it to become something other than a coin you mine? Then you need get on board my very good friend.

@bentusi I haven’t been paid anything by anyone, but I do find it important to understand the conflicts of interest that others might have behind their opinions.

There is a quote by Upton Sinclair, “It’s hard to get a man to understand something when his job depends on him not understanding it.”

The entire crypto community, especially mining, is built on conflicts of interest. In many ways Zcash and other cryptocurrencies are revolutionary technologies that will changed the world over the long term, but in the short term are perceived as “get rich quick” schemes. We’re dealing with money and privacy, which is bound to induce strong opinions by those with agendas.

1 Like

My point was more to show how the wording of a question can easily change people’s minds. Polling companies like Gallup have known this for a while – for instance, they can get majorities of Americans to support or oppose issues like affirmative action by emphasizing the positives or the negatives.

GPU mining is more accessible than proof of stake. With GPU-based proof of work, all you have to do is download a program onto your computer and run it. You’re earning coins. Proof of stake requires registering with an exchange, completing KYC, linking a bank account, transferring money over to buy Zec, and then storing it on a node that is connected to the internet 24/7 for a very meager reward. GPU-based proof of work is simply more accessible.

2 Likes

well tbh i didnt know there is such voting and i missed it :smiley: but to be fair that was mainly my fault since i didnt visit the forum for some time (busy with work projects and health issues ) and stopped watching zokos tweets some time ago

well let me tell you something mining with ASICs isnt an option for me because of 2 main reasons
1st i dont have a place where i could put these nosy blocks nor money to rent some room for them
2nd i dont have 850 bucks to spare on them i have been building my tiny mining farm by getting one gpu (1060) at a time mostly funding it from the already mined coins and tbh the only parts for a miner i bought has been the PSUs,GPUs and riser cards most of them i got used from aftermarket for the rest i used old PC parts mostly AMD AM2 and FM2 mobos and old chips that i get mostly for free from friends in exchange for PC maintenance (OS reinstalls, cleaning building a new PC, atc.)

2 Likes