Let’s talk about ASIC mining

Who came up with the questions for this poll?

It seems very biased to me. The question about ASIC resistance gives very little information, while the question about creating a new ASIC-friendly PoW gives a lot of information and seems to be presented in a positive light.

It’s funny as hell. It looks like not many people care for or about zcash to come out and vote!

David Vorick said (above) that he thinks the best solution for small coins is to nominate a single ASIC manufacturer and to give them a monopoly…

How is this better than having two manufacturers competing which lowers the price of miners? This is centralization at its worst.

Further his rationality is that at least you get to choose rather than having a “greedy” manufacturer come in. That doesn’t make any sense, because hardware manufacturers are involved in the first place in order to be profitable.

1 Like

Well, yes & no. If an algo requires resources that don’t fit on-chip (ie: huge memory) then an ASIC is much less effective, but if an algo change is ‘just a different number cruncher’ then ASICs will always win.

Also agree with your comment re: gpu-miners. Anyone who puts serious money down will oppose a change that threatens their plan, I’d expect the same reaction from ASIC miners if a fork is announced after Sapling - its just human nature.

2 Likes

Yes, but the “social contract” is very important for blockchain. It’s what allows the community to manage the selfish interests of various parties.

For instance, Bitcoin miners would love to see the Bitcoin block reward increase or have it be extended forever. But the social contract forbids this. Similarly, holders would like to see the block reward decrease so that their relative holdings increase. The social contract also forbids this.

The social contract for Zcash was ASIC resistance. GPU miners had every reason to believe that Zcash would fork if ASICs were developed, just as ASIC miners had every reason to believe that their ASICs would be rendered useless if they were discovered.

Those who are against ASIC resistance are the ones proposing that we break the social contract behind Zcash.

6 Likes

and do u see the reality? since there is a huge difference between trying hard to search for solution and eventually fail in the process and not moving a finger and giving up right from the start…

1 Like

What about Sapling?

These are the things that shrink the the tether between BTC and random altcoin.

1 Like

I’ve been saying the same.

It’s a terrible principle to say that because something is not guaranteed to succeed, it should not be attempted at all.

Second, this is the first time we’d be changing the proof of work algorithm to get rid of ASICs. If it were the second, or third, or fourth, or fifth time, then there would be a stronger case to be made that forking dosen’t work.

5 Likes

right.
imagine that satoshi would give up when BTC merely an unfinished concept just because nobody believed in it and majority told him it wont work

I think you are blind by $$ to see reality
And reality is that Zcash FAIL

In first post off Zcash ever it had may promise ASIC resistance and that that initially memory parameters will be low but will soon be raised to make more diffictly for ASIC …but that rise even promise in initial posts NEVER HAPPENED (2 lazy devs or some secret meeting ) and all this years memory requirements and parameters were low that you could have DDR1 it will mine the same.

And that now people who mined Zec from day 1 or like me day 2 are now mining ETH…much older coin but coin where ASIC dont have advantage…Bitmain ASIC is NOT more efficient then GPY rig on ETH after all this years ETH egist.

So ETH still keep its promise while ZEC totally failed.

So problem is not in technology…problem is in Devs.

8 Likes

All seeing eye’s. hehehehe :rofl::sunglasses::laughing::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

can you something else than offending people? People that call others dumb are the most brainless. Old saying from where i come… Now go to mommy and cry her a river …

Are these the final election results?

Looks like, zooko and others tweets it

Someone calling Zcash a scam over and over again should get the ban hammer, seriously…
I have no idea why someone calling this project a SCAM should be here.

2 Likes

A solution to what problem? The network being more secure?

Well, since I have many GPU systems that are still mining Zcash, I’m not blinded by anything. ASICs are actually bad for me because I’ve put a lot of time into building my system and software to handle it.

Guys watch out root will hide your post. It’s not free here.

1 Like

Guys watch out root will hide your post. It’s not free here.

This is correct. If anyone breaks the Code of Conduct, you will be given a warning. If you violate that warning you will be silenced or banned at my discretion. If you disagree with that you can appeal to a higher-up moderator (any other moderator).

Let’s keep it civil: no name calling and no calling Zcash a scam. If you don’t believe in Zcash then leave.

2 Likes

True, my English isn’t the best but where is the blatant unfair wording?

Question #2
The Zcash community wishes to preserve ASIC resistance, discouraging the use of ASIC mining equipment in favor of GPU mining equipment. The Zcash Foundation should therefore adopt this as a priority.

These questions have been online for weeks now and been visible for everybody. Why didn’t anybody that thought the question is not made correctly contact someone from the Foundation, made a proposal, made a note, made a correction, whatever???

In my opinion this is the exactly what everybody wanted to have an election about.