Let’s talk about ASIC mining

Just technicaly. Did you consider, or are you sure that this will work/being effective on the Bitmain 1680 AI chip that is used in their high end gpu cards as well?

I’am still stuying the 1x B3 Antminer i received some days ago which has an interesting design and uses the first time the new Bitmain 1680 AI processor. Seriously, i have a feeling that the next generation Asics will be based on this chip and it’s follower, BM1684 (if i remember right). It seems like a chip that is able to do way more than all Bitmain Asic chips bevor and from what i see on each chip 16GB RAM can be attached as well.

I’am writing this amateurish of course as i’am not an expert, but i think this AI chip has a huge potential and is mostly underestimated by a lot of people.

gpu resellers are actually much more fair. They limit max 2 cards per costumer and have a centralized way to control that. Schools, institutions and redndering company have priority and are always served first.
If a gamer has intentions to buy a card from the new series he can easy get in contact with an official reseller and reserve a card for his needs without any real difficulty (and/or high overprice).

Don’t know how an AI chip could boost performance over arithmetic functions… who love some information on this :smiley:

Your search was bad. Since 01/2018 1080ti’s was in stock on EU ebay, https://www.computeruniverse.net , www.alternate.de and much more site’s with pricing about € 950-1100.

I have contacted exactly this reseller 2 times and none is available (if i remember right in February and March). Don’t get fooled by having them offered on their site. When you purchase them they are not available than, eventually with some luck you can get a returned one

I don’t know it either, hence why i’am asking for an expert view. This AI chip is used in Bitmains high end GPU’s as well, so all i’am asking is having this in mind when talking about a new algo, fork, tweaking, whatever. Following amateurish logic sense here my logic is that after 2 of these chips are used in their 32GB GPU cards (if i remember right, don’t nail me on that) that they are capable to do just normal GPU work as well.

Hi,

In this case AI is simply marketing speak for the parts of a GPU that are non graphical related. They are another set of maths instructions. Deep Learning is another buzzword for this. Essentially this card wont be able to render GTA5 or games, but it will be able to do all the other maths stuff that GPGPU computing does.

nvidia/amd use this marketing speak too.

This is somewhat inline with what intel do/did with their server end graphics cards. (the code name escapes me at the moment.)

I hope this helps.

1 Like

So I have one proposal. ZcashCo in cooperation with Bitmain opens big store’s in every region, such as North and South America, Africa, EU, Russia, Asia with adequate supply and service. No fork needed, everybody (miners, zooko, bitmain) happy and continue to contribute. Looks like a fairy tale, but it’s only available win-win situation with no harm to anyone in community.

Sorry for the fact that I do not know much English and can not explain it intelligibly. Maybe a little clarifies the essence : Vector processor - Wikipedia.
The GPU is not completely a vector processor. It has a part of the vector processor, which is trying to assign protection from ASIC. How long will it last?

To all Pro Asic people. Be very honest and NO BS! What would you do if you got your Z9 mini’s on June 20th. Then login and found out you could not mine Equihash at all. Be honest no BS.

IF this would be the case i would mine another coin if i had no other option.

There are 16 mineable coins on equihash algo, so somewhere there should be some work for the 1x Z9 i purchased.

But even in case there would be NONE, than i had to write off the Z9 as a bad investement. Happens, nothing bad and unusual at all in business. That’s risk of taking risks.

And the last thing i would do is crying …

1 Like

Thank you for being honest.

I’m not totally pro-ASIC or pro-GPU. If anything I’m anti private-ASIC and think Zcash should act to avoid a hidden ASIC (do nothing or find a pow that is actually provably ASIC resistant).

That said, in the case that it didn’t mine any other coin, I would happily continue GPU mining, disassemble the Z9 and make a modern art piece for my wall. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Private-Asic? I think it’s better to call it Secret-Asic in the meaning you have in mind as i consider myself for example Private-Asic in the meaning of an Asic in private hands. Just a suggestion to avoid confusion.

About secret mining. I guess that’s one thing that comes decentralized networks somehow.
I have no idea what the receipe could be against that having in mind that someone can always mine in a private pool anyway.

This rises as well the question if this is like it was intended to be? I’am not taking any stance here, just loudly thinking about it …

1 Like

Why don’t Zcash company release a statement that Zcash will always be mineable with commodity hardware (GPU’s) competitively with any ASIC that might be developed to process it’s POW and they will take steps to ensure this level playing field. That would be a clear a statement, not this we are studying it, it is so weak. There is no analytical answer to this but a vision thing that is why people are losing confidence in the leadership of this project and they appear to be just programmers, success is not just a technical thing but a vision thing.

2 Likes

So if you couldn’t mine Zcash, you would mine another coin. When you said earlier that GPU miners just move from coin to coin and asics are more loyal, what in this statement makes you different than a GPU miner?

2 Likes

NO, i said when i had no other option.
You put it out of context totally.

There is a difference if you have no other choice than moving ahead, like in the example, that i can NOT mine on zcash, what would be the sense to stay on the network for 0,0000 reward having only rejected shares?

It’s a different story that a gpu switch due a 0.10 USD higher coin profit forth and back all the time from algo to algo and from coin to coin (just generally talking).

A Z9 asic has no other option than staying ot equihash, simple as that. Even if i would like to mine ethereum i can’t because there are no “OhGodAnETHlargementPill-r2” Mod neither something else around that makes it possible to leave equihash. Simple as that.

You should stay fair …

Fair has nothing to do with it. By your own statement you go where you can make money. You disparaged GPU miners for chasing profit but are you telling everyone that if Zcash dropped in worth to 1.00 USD and Zencash or whatever coin you could mine was worth 15.00 USD you would still mine Zcash. I don’t see the difference.

4 Likes

Again, you took it out of context. So after you seem to have a problem following the posts/threads here again to what i actually answered:

To all Pro Asic people. Be very honest and NO BS! What would you do if you got your Z9 mini’s on June 20th. Then login and found out you could not mine Equihash at all. Be honest no BS.

On that i answered i would be forced to look for another coin.

So if you quote me, at least make it fair and objective, that’s the last thing someone can ask.

And NO, i’am NOT going where i make the most profit actually. Don’t copy on me how you run your rigs. Actually i have a totally different approach and i even mine coins that are not yet listed. And while you mostly go after whattomine i do daily my own research on coins and projects that are promising and investe into them, be it with mining or directly buying shares.

Actually with this sentence you outted yourself allready:

Zcash dropped in worth to 1.00 USD and Zencash or whatever coin you could mine was worth 15.00 USD you would still mine Zcash. I don’t see the difference.

You don’t see the difference because you are a short time daily profit oriented miner. Nothing bad actually with that as it’s up to everybodies own discretion how to run his mining operations.

But there are miners out, like myself, that are strong believers in given projects and for these the reward at the end is more important than your daily-whattomine-hourly-profit-switch-multi-algo option.

I get your point and i personally can agree to a lot of things, especially that there are as well loyal gpu miners, totally agree on that, but it’s a minority in my opinion, same mostly will the same with asic miners of course, no doubt here as well, but than again, with an asic you don’t have the freedom of the gpu switching through 79 algos and 963 coins … means no matter if it’s less or more profit you are stuck with that algo and have to support the coins algo network, period, there is no moving away…

I understand the the problem with zookos Asic resitance, but calling him a liar isn’t the right thing. I mean than back everybody thought that equihash is just an asic resistance algo, and than back that statement was true and i doubt that zooko at this time thought that 2 - 3 years later it would be an easy task for asics to get on equihash.

This said i totally understand the point of view from every gpu miner, but as the CEO of such a big multi million dollar project nowadays he as well has to adapt to changed envirement and check the possibilities and options in fully and not just emotional make a decision. He and the foundation could even come to the consensus that in 2019 the best would e POS, we don’t know. It could be 2 chains, we don’t know, it could be back to cpu mining, we don’t know, it could be indeed a final at some time asic resistant move, we don’t know again.

And if i remember right the foundation as well stays behind the research first and if i remember right ZenCash takes the same path, first researching and than acting. Seriously, i write this as a business owner, and not as an asic miner, moslty nobody will believe anyway with their blinkers on, but from a business CEO point of view it’s just logical first to make an analytical research and than a decision and not reverse. Sure, it’s easy to make a decision and than over time to analyze if it was the right one, but that’s not how successfull big businesses are run.

Someone else suggested allready that some experts for marketing, security, tech, whatever should be hired or having them inhouse. Makes perfect sense by the way and Zcash really should consider that if the main target is to get stay as a top 25 coin.

1 Like

A man is only good as his word! And if gpu miners had decided not to mine Zcash in the beginning. Zooko would have no Zcash!

2 Likes