Whats more important to you? Sapling or ASIC Fork

There is no issue with you replying to anyone, including myself, but please do so professionally/respectfully. I’m a volunteer moderator and I do not in any way represent the Zcash foundation the Zcash company or any of their specific opinions other than by coincidence. I’m here to try and keep the discussion productive and non-toxic.

In terms of “toeing the line”, my personal belief is that Zcash should stay ASIC resistant, but only if doing so is actually possible - which seems like a very big if. This is something the Zcash foundation is going to have to figure out. This outcome needs to assert that privately held gpus can’t be developed, or if they are possible, that they will be significantly more equitable to consumer grade hardware (cpu/gpu). After reading the The State of Cryptocurrency mining, an ASIC-resistant outcome seems less probable. Public ASICs are much preferable to private ones.

This topic is about priority. In my opinion Sapling is an order of magnitude more important than an ASIC fork. General advancement of the protocol is incredibly important at this stage of Zcash’s growth.

4 Likes