Let’s talk about ASIC mining

You don’t understand what a monopoly is, can you beat or even start to compete with Microsoft OS from there current market position? how many years will it take 10 years, 20 years.

1 Like

Indeed…

Given the argument in this forum so far this is a much better option.
CPU only POW would lead to a much greater decentralization than a GPU mineable POW.
Every time there is GPU mining software available there should be a fork.

How about this?

1 Like

GPU mining is much more decentralized than CPU mining because it’s easier for normal people to set up multi-GPU rigs than multi CPU rigs. CPU mining is also far more prone to botnets.

GPU mining really is the best way to secure a network and distribute coins. It would be a shame to see Zcash lose it.

2 Likes

GPUs are ASICs also but general purpose.
How many companies are pioneering in them only two AMD and nVidia. How many years did it take from those companies to pioneer in their field? may be around 20 years.

So how many 10s of years do you think it would take to break a monopoly in ASICs mining?
If you asked my opinion I would expect most of zcash will be already mined until we see a fair competition.

can defend against botnets with elastic rewards.

Really liked the idea of monero crossing the gap between GPUs and CPUs and would be happy to see CPUs be able to mine along side GPUs with small gaps in hashrate but botnets were such a big concern.
So if their is a solution I would be much interested to see such a coin that will be CPUs bound and is able to stop botnets.

Sry, this is nonsense.

You are totally missing the point.
GPUs are more efficient than CPUs but they are 10 to 20 times more expensive which would justify their efficiency and they are still general purpose commodity that is used for gaming, graphics and AI. Moreover they are highly available compared to mining ASICs.
I can import GPUs whenever I want in Egypt but I will be in prison if I tried to import an ASIC from bitmain. No government will be able to buy or control millions of GPUs but they can more easly control a smaller number of ASIC miners.

Bitmain is not a government but they already control a large portion of the bitcoin network.

1 Like

I’m mining with xmr since 2016, I thought I can make more profit after asic resistance fork of xmr, but other coin miner all switch to mine xmr after fork, and that make my profit not much different from before fork,things never change,I don’t know if zcash decide to make asic resistance,but if they do , you guys will never make more profit than before,we’ll see.

How can you possibly compare Bitmain to Microsoft? Microsoft is currently worth over $650 billion and has been in existence for 43 years. There are countless organizations and even individuals that could easily dislodge Bitmain from their dominant position in this space.

1 Like

If you looked at the whole picture you will know that bitmain (ASICs) are eating profitability indirectly.
Miners came to Monero because there are still ASICs in Electroneum, Bytecoin, Siacoin, Ethereum, Ethereum classic, Zcash, Zcash classic, Zencash and many others.

You my friend are looking at “would have, should have, could have”…how long 1 year? 2 years? I look at reality of what is going to happen as things are and not some imaginary happening. Zcash needs to be ASIC resistant till the first halving to distribute coins otherwise it will be on the path to failure…see my other post for explanations.

2 Likes

WalterMagnum, post:1147, topic:27353, full:true"]
I would imagine most folks who are against ASICs are GPU miners.I wish we could have this discussion without miners being involved.

Why? This affects gpu miners!! If you take away the gpu miners then ASIC wins!!

Very sad to see how the Zcash dev desn’t have a clear answer about the ASIC threat like Monero or Bitcoin gold devs have…

I think at least until Bitmain is no longer the monopoly that they are, the dev should do everything to remain ASIC resistant.

1 Like

Also the fact that ASIC are an easy target for governement should ring a bell to the Zcash dev! Zcash is supposed to be private. How can you be private if your miners are easy targets?

2 Likes

I am using logic and economics, not my imagination. Sometimes you have to think ahead and not live in the moment to make the correct choices.

1 Like

I don’t think I’m missing your point. It clearly visible.

Mining ASICs are not interesting or innovative hardware, which is why reputable companies like Nvidia, AMD, Intel, etc. will never develop them. They have much more interesting things to make products for, like AI and cancer research.

You’re stuck with shameful companies like Bitmain and Halong if you want ASICs.

Personally, I’d much rather have Nvidia and AMD manufacture the mining hardware.

3 Likes

You’re mixing two different things. Pls inform you how privacy in Zcash works.

BlockquoteGPUs are ASICs also but general purpose.

That statement is categorically false. ASIC devices perform a specific set of functions, and only those function(s) and cannot be changed. They are purpose built to be fast and highly efficient in a singular task. GPU’s have more in relation to a CPU than to ASIC. They are general purpose hardware capable of doing many different tasks, although not necessarily with high efficiency. They can also be retasked by software, where ASIC cannot.

To says GPUs are general purpose ASICs is the equivalent to saying “General Specific”…they contradict.

2 Likes