Let’s talk about ASIC mining

I’m not arguing against power usage.

Efficient in economic sense. Currently we are mining with GPU’s but we don’t know if there’s someone else that using ASIC? Which is more efficient for them.

You are compairing apples and oranges. A PCB with commercially available components is NOT an ASIC. An open source ASIC will be Fab specific and likely restricted to one or maybe two foundaries.

I understand what you were talking about with the regulations and the danger of potentially shutting down half of the (daisy) chain, but given the versatility of gpus they could probably just switch over to mine the old algorithm too?
Edit- i know im harping on this idea

ASIC chips are very small, shipping them is simpler, it’s still efficient to get it assembled were you want to use it.

What you describe is akin to making mining illegal. How is this even remotely related to regulating a techology? Going after miners requires a law in place to allow this. Regulating the technology used to mine requires no such law.

So I don’t get the point you are trying to make.

What is your point? If the ASIC is regulated you are not going to ship it anywhere unless you meet the regulation and are permitted to aquire the tech.

I’m not comparing it against GPU mining. ASIC to ASIC.
I’m GPU miner too.

With ASICS you ship more quantities which leads to more assembly and shipping vs. one rig. So even though the size is smaller, you need more hardware which ends up filling up as much space,as your old rig did… Example, my heavier “complicated” 200Mh GPU rig could be replaced by 4 antminers in the future because the difficulty and efficiency has gone up due to everyone getting ASIC’s. This will weigh just as much, and setup may even be worse (more power cables, and ethernet links). Seems to me that no overall energy, or space is ever saved by ASIC’s, except initially. It always becomes an arms race.

2 Likes

I am not comparing to GPU mining either.

If there is an open source ASIC and multiple companies make commercially available ASIC miners… even with multiple commercially designed ASIC’s and miners. They can still very easily be regulated as they only do one thing, and will not impact any other industry but the targeted crypto.

If mining is creating jobs for local economy we can debate it politically.

I’m not concerned about this sort of regulations. It’s like saying it’s illegal. And might be big enough miners there to fight it back.

Mining does not create jobs. Mining operations are mostly autonomous dark facilities.

I think you are a bit naive. These regulations don’t make anything illegal. You just need proper authorization for the transaction. Without that authorization, even as part of a company, both company officers, and you personally can be fined and or imprisoned. This happens all the time in the US.

1 Like

@hosseamin You might find this video about Plattsburgh (NY) informative, previously mentioned here and here.

1 Like

MB is one of my favorite channels

No dice for paying someone else to solder components to boards to mine. Larger, well to do, corporations would have the advantage over the little guy. I believe Zooko wants to be one of those “larger guys” having advantage over the little guy. He and a few friends of his that will meet up in Montreal in June to Zcon0.

1 Like

Heres Monero, it would appear asics showed up in Dec sometime and increased by 100% the difficulty about every 30 days till the HF where according to this article, 80% of the total hashrate dropped which is now XMRO and burns about 870 Mhs

Although Zcash spikes every 150-175 days or so (which is normal) its nothing like Monero and if the same held true, it would be about 30-45 days before hashing dominance

Edit- If zcash asics had come at the same time, we’d be at about 30M (% basis)

2 Likes

Okay I know this is super nerdy but I’m going to equate daisy-chain mining idea with an episode of Star Trek the Next Generation. Ep21, Sn2, “Peak Performance”
Data was challenged to a game of Stratagema against the best player in the Galaxy (he happened to be on the ship). After his first loss and knowing that he could not win, Data employed an alternate strategy aiming for stalemate to deliberately block his moves for an indefinite length of time forcing the challenger to concede in frustration. (He describes to Polaski his goal was to match scores) :heartpulse:

I agree, Equihash is more resistant to ASIC. Also making it more likely to be monopolized when a company successfully designs ASIC for it because of captical cost.

Has a pre-test ASIC farm just gone offline? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

1.0.14 auto-senesced at height 313512 (current height is 313,896), so it could also be that the zcashd node(s) used by a mining pool hadn’t been upgraded and went down.

1 Like

This site shows otherwise. Hmm. Which one is accurate?