Let’s talk about ASIC mining

Thank you so much for posting this. I really appreciate it.

I have been looking for the original images, I cant seem to find them on his GitHub. Are there any board layout images that you know of?

Oh btw the link to his GitHub you put a : at the end so it 404’s - his website seems dead at the mo too.

Thanks,

1 Like

I have been looking for the original images

I took them from a private discord channel where GPUHoarder shared them.

Are there any board layout images that you know of?

Like this?

PS: I fixed the github link.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. I can stop looking. :slight_smile:

thank you for sharing. I really hope they do a full teardown.

and the people who are waiting on this :D.

Hey @root. I remember you talking about how unsecured the network is when the gpu miners jump back and forth to different coins. Well I was on another forum and came across these guy’s talking about jumping from Zen to Zcash and back to Zen because of profit. Now there where at lease 10 different people talking about doing this.The best part to me was they all had several Z9 Mini Asic’s! So blaming it all on gpu miners when you have Z9 Mini’s out there doing it to!!! I even have guy’s in the same city I live doing coin jump with Z9 Mini’s.

6 Likes

You can see this behavior clearly in the large increase in difficulty variance over the last 2 weeks or so. As I’ve said to @root before, ASIC adoption does not necessarily equal improved stability/security as he had claimed in other posts. Even ASIC operator have a choice to switch to another equihash coin if ZEC becomes undesirable.

5 Likes

@chucky732 I agree this is happening with ASICs, but to a smaller degree than gpu miners. Hopefully these smaller coins will change their Equihash parameters, leaving ASICs with just Zcash to mine.

@stealth, you clearly picked a starting low point in order to conform to your narrative, but the difficulty has overall been only slightly higher if not flat for many months.

I’m not talking about the overall difficulty, I’m talking about the swing between each point of the graph. Earlier in the month, we we’re seeing a variance of 1-1.1.5 million in difficulty between graph points. The last 2 weeks or so this variance has increased to 2-2.5 million. Its my opinion that this is the product of ASIC activity on the ZCash network auto-switching to another equihash coin due to ZEC’s low value at the moment.

3 Likes

18 posts were off-topic and split to a new topic: Moderating the ASIC thread

Please stay on-topic in future posts to this thread.

So I think I finally understand the position of @zooko and others on this topic.

Zooko is trying to fit Zcash into a neat little constrained box of game theory. To be fair the block chain is an elegant example of game theory. However, having used game theory for real world situations, its weakness has always been the inability to capture a real world situation in adequate detail.

Without getting into the details of the theory (you can look it up is you want). Zooko and others have come to the conclusion that we must force miners to mine one coin so that the Grim Trigger equilibrium of game theory is maintained on the Zcash block chain. The problem with this analysis is that the matrix is restricted to one block chain. Unfortunately this does not represent reality and the Zcash block chain is in a very complex game with the other alt coins and miners. Even if Zcash had a dedicated ASIC, it will not be able to maintain a zero sum game and Nash equilibrium specific to the Zcash block chain indefinitely.

This argument is exactly the same as the GPU vs ASIC argument, only here you will endlessly be trying to maintain ASIC specificity to the Zcash block chain. This also ends in a cat and mouse game, and will be just as difficult if not more difficult than ASIC resistance.

By denying the reality of the game Zcash is playing, and ignoring the larger game and market dynamics, you will ultimately cripple Zcash to failure. We will remember Zcash as the Betamax of the 2010’s. Oops, showing my age.

6 Likes

You should read the last line of my post again :wink:

Zcash is base on a lie…and they try to hide it with ridiculous posts.

In 2 days BTG will change parameter to <144,5>
And that parameters were actually build for Zcash and curent <200,9> that Zcash is using and that heavily favor ASIC were just for testing…they are totally non memory intensive and use only 144 mb off RAM …and Z9 use ancient SDRAM .
But Zcash even promised in initial posts (by same Zoco that now promotes ASICs) never changed parameters and left this one that heavily favor ASIC .

<144,5> would require 2.7 gb off latest probably DDR5 memory per chip and not like now just 144 mb off probably used SDRAM from 15 years ago and ASIC would be on pair with GPUs when it comes to efficiency.

holy moly batman! joking aside. i know you guys are worried about profitability with gpus. even if asics were kicked off today. the days of $10 per 1080ti are long gone.

getting rid of asics isnt going to magically bring it to $3 a day let alone $10.

you can thank Nvidia asus msi gigabyte evga for massively overselling 1080ti this year when its EoL was supposed to march and not doing a damn thing about overcharging its own customers for it.

theres your decentralization. everyone has a 3 year old $1000 1080ti and making $1.25 a day for it. good job team.

ps. how could anyone not call what nvidia pulled this year a scam. give me a break.

It might be useful to consider the last paragraph from David Vorick’s recent blog post on ASIC/GPU devices:

“The choice for ASICs is distasteful, because the disadvantages are more visible vs. other choices we could make, but I strongly believe that ASICs are far and away the best long term decision. Exploring why required a deep dive into all the components that make Proof of Work viable at all, but hopefully you’ve walked away for a deeper appreciation of everything that Bitcoin does well. Proof of Work is a very impressive system, and it’s impressive in spite of all the miner centralization that plagues it. If you want true decentralization and trustlessness, it is the only solution that has stood the test of time.”

1 Like

There’s a huge difference between promising everybody Asic resistance to get the gpu miners to mine a coin that other wise would of not gone anywhere with out the gpu miners. Because Asic had nothing. Nvidia and AMD make video cards period. They don’t promise when a new card is coming. And if they hold back to clear stock because of a over stock well. Bitmain held back making a Asic for zcash when zcash first came out why? You cannot compare them.

P.S. The reason these members believe that zcash a scam is very simple. Zcash promising everybody Asic resistance to get the gpu miners to mine a coin. Then turn around and stuck a knife in there back!!

6 Likes

A couple of differences:

1. The Sia developers choose an ASIC friendly algorithm and never endorsed ASIC resistance from the start. The Zcash developers choose an ASIC resistant algorithm and pledged ASIC resistance from the start.

2. The Zcash total mining reward per day is 600% of Siacoin’s mining reward. This means that far more energy will be spent securing the Zcash network, which makes a GPU-based 51% attack a lot more challenging than a similar attack on Siacoin.

3. It’s not the developers’ responsibility to prevent 51% attacks. It’s the exchanges’ responsibility to thoroughly vet large deposits and to have reasonable confirmation times for smaller coins.

4. ASICs and proof of stake (which is an even more extreme version of ASIC mining) result in centralization and a narrow distribution of the cryptocurrency supply. They also create an unfair Ponzi dynamic, in which insiders can create coins for free or nearly for free and then sell them to outsiders for money. In GPU mining, both insiders and outsiders have to pay the exact same cost to produce a coin. In my view, these factors make it harder for ASIC and PoS cryptocurrencies to catch on than GPU-based cryptocurrencies.

4 Likes

That is not going to happen root as komodo already said they will not fork. And smaller coins said they will wait for ZCashs decision and will follow it all the way.

4 Likes

That is not going to happen root as komodo already said they will not fork. And smaller coins said they will wait for ZCashs decision and will follow it all the way.

That is still fine because the coin switching will be to a much less degree than with gpus.

1 Like

Coin switching will happen all the time doesnt matter if its with gpu’s or asic’s diffence being with asic’s you will loose more hash power than with gpu’s. As long as the coin is more profitable to mine than zcash and it supports asic mining there will be coin switching.

2 Likes