Let’s talk about ASIC mining

well, the price of asic means a lot only for gpu miners.

asics are bought by wealthy people. who don’t want to build rigs, maintain rigs, choose coins or whatever.

it is just another game.

we made zcash huge with gpu, mostly because dev team promised asic resistance.

now, when asic manufacturers found way to buy those resistant coins, we have to search for another.

P.s.
50 000 sols for 10 000 usd. This price is high, because innovision will start shipping asics tomorrow (10.06.2018). Im sure in the future the price will drop.

P.p.s
For 50 000 sols you will need 70 pcs 1080ti (~56 000 usd) + motherboards, Psu’s, etc, etc, etc…

And power draw by 70x1080ti will be 14kw!!!

compare:
10 000 usd for asic tomorrow VS or 56 000 usd for 70x1080ti + building time + maintenance…
600 watt asic consumption VS 14000 watt consumption…

This is just a joke, right in the face, for those who believed in asic-proof.

p.p.p.s
just business :slight_smile:
nothing personal

You are right man, there is no competition, when they are let into the game - they take the whole thing under control.

Very funny to read zooko, about bitmain fair play.

They have mining facilities - yes.
They have the power at around 0.04$ for kwh - yes.
They produce asics - yes.

But according to zooko, they play fair, they do not premine coin - loooool

Now those big players are going to mine with their own massive machines. No one could be capable to attack Zcash network.

No more 51% attack, nothing but a secure network.

oh yeee man,
soon you will have ultra safe network with difficulty 50M
hahah

I don’t know if you are being sarcastic or just ignorant about blockchain network. You don’t see Bitcoin, Litecoin or Dash being 51% attacked.

Have you seen Ethereum or Zcash being 51% attacked?

The ASIC networks aren’t more secure. They are actually less secure because a 51% attack could likely be performed with the collusion of two or three parties.

That said, a 51% attack from an ASIC manufacturer probably isn’t a concern because an attack would likely lead to a fork away from their ASICs. They would likely lose money in the long run.

Resistance to a 51% attack is mostly a function of the value of block rewards.

2 Likes

I can’t tell this is a pro-ASIC arguement or an anti-ASIC arguement.

P.S. I saw Verge, Bitcoin gold, Zencash, plenty of GPU-only network being attacked rencenly.

3300 Posts by now and nothing new …The whole topic is by now total useless as facts and arguments have no validity, but rumours, guessing and personal opintions are taken as fact for each side.
Saying that just in generally without taking any side… :thinking:

2 Likes

im just ingorant, lol

try using thoughts:

20x innovision miners = 1M sol hashrate.

zcash never been 51% because it is very expensive to buy GPU hashrate that is needed for attack.

now with asics, it is not anymore.

1 Like

And who mostly owns those ASICs and huge mining powers? The manufacturers, who are kinda direct investors of Zcash by mining it and have no motivation to 51% attack their profitable mining networks.

1 Like

wait… so you are saying that asic manufacturers most likely stay behind 51% attacks on ZEN and BTG?
Because the raction of the DEV teams was clearly against asics?
is that what you are saying?

I have to feel good, when coin which I invested time and money in, is given in hands of bitmain?
I have to believe that they will play fair?
They already showed their business style in the past, what makes you feel that they will play fair this time?

When did I say something like that, exactly? Are you CNN-ing me right now?

Plus, there’s no evidence that it was BITMAIN who attacked those networks. Some said it was BITMAIN, some said it was a hackers, some said it was a bug.

If only the price grew as fast as this thread… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

for those who wait for price to grow, you have to visit at least some farms with 100+ asics.

some of the owners hold their coins, but mostly they fix profit as soon as possible.

i know people who have 500+ asics, and free electricity. They mine and sell, mine and sell, no matter what is the price on the market. They are happy to work when 1 asic gives 1 dollar per day. Not netto profit, but just brutto return.

This heavy duty mining - asic mining commnunity, is completely different from gpu mining community.
Those people think different, they invest much more, and they care much less.

1 Like

friend, if you can not connect the dots… than good luck waiting for clear evidence :))))

It’s an anti-ASIC argument, for the most part.

I’m saying that resistance to 51% attacks is largely a function of the block rewards of a cryptocurrency and less a function of whether GPUs or ASICs are mining.

Some ASIC proponents have argued that ASICs are more secure, and I’m arguing that this doesn’t appear to be true.

2 Likes

You just admitted yourself that you have no solid evidences. Further arguing is now pointless.

Bitmain has much more hashrate then 51% on litecoin and on Dash so they could attack right now if they want…they own all ASIC coins.

They can probably even Bitcoin.
Only coins that cant be attacked now is ETH and Monero…Monero could be potentially attacked by nicehash but nicehash dont have enough power to attack Monero …nicehash has 100mh while for 51% attack would need 200mh.

1 Like

Off that every 3th is yours…and we all know your side which you repeat every day

2 Likes

Good that you never post and never repeat your view :joy: