How to properly mine ZCash day 1?

Zcash currently requires a little-endian system. (Bitcoin added big-endian support recently, mainly in Big endian support by laanwj · Pull Request #5510 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub .) It is possible to run Linux on Power systems in little-endian mode: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-power-little-endian-faq-trs/

I’ve ordered Ubuntu and also Mint cinnamon versions of Linux. The compile instructions don’t say anything about the Mint version. Can I assume it would be the same as in Ubuntu?

I have not personally had luck with Mint.
I would stick to Ubuntu, the developers use Ubuntu so it is a safe bet (especially since they are still working out software bugs)

1 Like

Just sayin… Ordering Linux install discs is doin’ it the hard way.

Ok, why is it the hard way, what would have been easier?

1 Like

I think he means you can download Ubuntu 16, for free from Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

I use a tablet and my phone when away working. I get bored at night and order things, I knew it was free but this way it’s waiting for me when I get home. Upgrading to ssd storage and adding 8gbs of ram gonna try out out this Linux Os fresh on new drive. Hey any body know what the consequences of running to much ram would be?

No consequences for too much RAM, if you have a 4 core PC then be sure to have at least 4GB RAM to mine. But keep in mind that compiling the miner and running a JoinSplit (protect/encrypted coins) operation can take up to 8GB

1 Like

My main desktop is the Debian Edition of Mint. I was not able to compile Zcash on it without significant dependency problems, although that was an earlier version of Zcash and I haven’t tried recently. If you already have Mint then try the Debian/Ubuntu instructions, but it’s not the distribution I would choose if setting up a VM or new hardware to run Zcash.

I’m.planning on just stock LTS Ubuntu x64 under wmware assume that’s OK.

1 Like

Yes that should be fine.

I’ve compiled and run fine with Linux Mint 17 … which uses Ubuntu 14.04 repositories. You’d just want to avoid the LMDE (linux mint debian edition) which obviously uses debian repositories. To be honest, I’d prefer it if the zcash team used Debian repo’s as their base for development, but Ubuntu is still king I suppose.

1 Like

So Mint 18 Cinnamon uses which repositories?

Linux Mint 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04 - uses Ubuntu 16.04 repositories as it’s base.

2 Likes

Haha I successfully compiled on Linux mint 18 Cinnamon:slight_smile:

This sounds interest!!

Ubuntu 16.04 in double boot with win 8.1, it’s ok for me and works. I use it