Zcash4win updated to 1.0.8

I’m not very familiar with computer language, how can i do the node sync exactly?
Thx

Can you help me there?

sorry, missed the earlier reply, lemme find the command you need to run in PowerShell

the one you need run is:
c:\Program Files\zcash4win\app\zcashd.exe -daemon=0 -showmetrics=1

That will sync the blockchain, and when the block height reaches the same as on the block explorer at https://zcha.in you can fire up the GUI

so i did the operation and launched zcash UI and same error message.

here is the message i get in the powershell

it’s wieird because my zcash.conf is exactly where it is supposed to be.

i searched for the example file but didn’t find i had no such files directory as contrib/debian/examples/zcash.conf or
/usr/share/doc/zcash/examples/zcash.conf

thx in advance

here is my zcash.conf

Did you move the installation after the msi file was done installing? It is not very happy unless it is running from c:\Program Files\zcash4win\ where the installer drops the files

I somehow didn’t install the files!

Now i ran the setup and it’s working fine! I’m talking about zcash4win 1.0.8.msi

One last question. So in the context of this wallet having some ZEC inside. What happen if my computer suddenly stop working? Is it possible to access the wallet from another computer with the private key or something?

Best regards,
vifzor

you will want to export your private key(s) and have a backup of the wallet.dat file on another computer (back it up when zcashd is stopped!), then you can import the key(s) or just copy the wallet.dat file into a fresh installation on another machine

Where can i find the private key(s)? And how to know if there is one or more?

Thx for your precious help radix42.

1 Like

In the toolbar under “Wallet” are all the options for viewing, exporting and importing keys

Thanks for your quick answer.

I’m not so good at finding files I’m sorry so …

and for the wallet.dat do you know where i can find?

I guess it is wallet → backup for wallet.dat ?

yes that will export a copy of it to the place you select, than copy that file off of the machine (to a USB stick or something else not online ideally)

So once I’m on another computer, i simply import the private key and put the wallet.dat file in the file directory?

If you have copied the raw wallet.dat file into the directory that is all you need to do…the export single key option displays it so you can copy/paste it somewhere to bring into another wallet via import

So you need EITHER the wallet.dat or the private keys that you can view, either gets you there…the first is best for a fresh, new machine, the second if you need to add one or more keys to a wallet that already has other keys you need to keep in it

So to make sure i correctly understand, the wallet.dat is sufficient on his own?

So what is the point of the private key? Or i still need both of them?

the wallet.dat is enough, it has the private keys in it, the “export single key” lets you export the private key for a specific address for importing into another wallet

Thx for your great answers, and the time you took for me.

Have a good evening!

1 Like