Zcash4win BETA is out!

It says im am getting denied? Is that normal and should i just proceed with the next command line code?
“C:\Program Files\zcash4win\app\zcashd.exe” -showmetrics=1 -daemon=0

oh it looks like it is having trouble because there is a space in your username (“Timothy Odell”), and hence a directory name which is not enclosed in quotes. I don’t have the time today to try and apply a fix so that it won’t barf on that.

So your options at this point are to make another username that does NOT contain spaces, and run it under that account, or wait until I get a chance to develop and test a fix for it with usernames with spaces in them, which will probably not be until next week.

2 Likes

The install to Win7 went very well, thanks. I was able to free up enough space on C: for the full install including blockchain.

But in trying to move the blockchain from c: drive to another drive I did the following:

after closing zcash4win:

1. copied the entire zcash directory from

C:\Users\xxxx\Application Data\Zcash to S:\Zcash

1. ran: C:\Program Files\zcash4win\app\zcashd.exe -datadir=S:\Zcash

2. restarted zcash4win

I got the error message: There was a problem communicating with the ZCash daemon/wallet.

Suggestions anyone? Thanks.

I don’t have a Windows machine with more than one drive available right now…I’ll have to add a volume to a virtual machine to test it…and next week I’m going to see about adding support for running it like you are trying to explicitly in the GUI

Contratulations by your creation radix42 also to vaklinov and many thanks by sharing with all community. I suppose that althought personally I prefer the original setup for línux distributions of the ZCash wallet/node, this is only by historic principles because at origin ZCash was designed to run in Línux, and I love Linux. I don’t know exactly when, but I want to install Zcash4win some day also I like the ZCash Java wallet developed by vaklinov.
Thank you very much to both. Keep in touch.

1 Like

I have thought about updating from 1.0.5 to 1.0.6 zcash4win. Message pops up that I must unistall the previous version. What might be involved in doing this. I don’t want to loose funds or addresses. Thanks so much in advance. BTW It has been working flawlessly and have been mining directly to it from Flypool.
Thanks again.

When you uninstall via the Add/Remove Programs control panel, it only removes the files in C:\Program Files\zcash4win\
NOT the files that make up the blockchain or your wallet…If you want to be extra careful, shut down the current version, copy %AppData\Zcash\wallet.dat to a safe place, uninstall, and then install the new version.

Thanks again…I’ll give it a go…

1. Under Wallet in Zcash4win there’s an option to backup the wallet. How do you restore that?

2. If you copy the wallet.dat file, uninstall Zcash4win and later re-install it, can you restore the old wallet by overwriting the newly created wallet.dat file with the old copy (when the prog is not running of course)? Thanks.

the answer to 1 and 2 is the same, as 1 is the same as manually copying the wallet.dat file when zcash is shut down: you do merely copy the old wallet on top of the newly created wallet.dat file of a new installation while zcash is stopped.

can i mine zclassic to the zcash wallet?

No - you need a ZClassic wallet. There are GUI wallets available for ZClassic too.

its my first time trying to send cash with this wallet and i am getting this error.

Well, in reading the error message it is telling you the reason for the error. The last line says you can not put a memo /notes when transferring zcash using a T address, you can only use it when sending via a Z address.

send it again without the memo/notes

When sending to a T address (T->T, Z->T) no memo may be specified since ZCash does not support it…

After installation 1.0.8 version. I can’t open app.

doh! that happens sometimes on startup when zcashd.exe is slow to respond when it starts.

You can launch the zcash daemon by hand in the command line and then wait a minute or so and then launch the app if it keeps doing that. In a PowerShell window run:

'C:\Program Files\zcash4win\app\zcashd.exe'

(and yes copy and paste the quotes around all that)

Let me know if that works, I’ve had to do that before myself (yes, needs better error handling, part of why still a beta!)

It works now. Thanks.

1 Like

The app should be online all the time?

It doesn’t HAVE to be, but it is a full node (has a complete copy of the blockchain), so if it isn’t, you have to let it sync when it starts up again, which can take a while if its not been running for too long.