Zcash4win BETA is out!

POSIX says:

For C-language programs, the POSIX locale shall be the default locale when the setlocale() function is not called.

The POSIX locale can be specified by assigning to the appropriate environment variables the values “C” or “POSIX”.

This is also the case for Windows:

A value of C specifies the minimal ANSI conforming environment for C translation. The C locale assumes that all char data types are 1 byte and that their value is always less than 256.

At program startup, the equivalent of the following statement is executed:

setlocale( LC_ALL, "C" );

zcashd doesn’t appear to explicitly call setlocale (but I did not check dependencies). So, it should be using the C/POSIX locale which has “.” as decimal separator. Still I could believe that Windows (or MSVCRT) is doing it wrong, or that something is calling setlocale that my search didn’t find.

1 Like

awesome, thank you for double checking all that…I’m currently running a recursive grep on the entire source tree to see if any of the dependencies call setlocale

1 Like

oh wow, @daira, yeah, boost is dirty with a bunch of setlocale stuff, which leads to:

Binary file src/zcash-cli.exe matches
Binary file src/zcash-tx.exe matches
Binary file src/zcashd.exe matches
Binary file src/zcash/libzcash_a-util.o matches
Binary file src/zcash/libzcash_a-prf.o matches
Binary file src/zcash/libzcash_a-Proof.o matches
Binary file src/zcash/libzcash_a-NoteEncryption.o matches
Binary file src/zcash/libzcash_a-Address.o matches
Binary file src/zcash/libzcash_a-Note.o matches
Binary file src/zcash/libzcash_a-IncrementalMerkleTree.o matches
Binary file src/zcash/libzcash_a-JoinSplit.o matches
Binary file src/libzcash.a matches
1 Like

so this rabbit-hole just got very deep indeed :frowning:

1 Like

I have reproduced the issue. It appears to be a problem of the GUI wallet for locales that redefine the decimal separator. It is not a bug in ZCash itself. Will be fixed.

2 Likes

Awesome, I’m glad you figured it out! Can you ping me when you push an update to github with a fix? Thanks!

1 Like

Fix is pushed. One more minor bug exists in showing the zcashd memory consumption on such systems. I will fix it tomorrow perhaps.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll probably wait to pull from you until that’s done

1 Like

I have pushed the final fix for sampling the zcashd memory size. I have tested on Windows 7 only. Would be nice if you could test on Windows 10…

1 Like

I’ll pull and do a test on Win 10 right now

2 Likes

shows resident memory perfectly in Windows 10! :thumbsup:

I’ll update zcash4win with that in the morning, and also test that on 2k16 Server then

3 Likes

For Windows user, how to easily run Zcash4win through Tor:

1. Download, install, configure and run Zcash4win
  2. Synchronize the Zcash blockchain
  3. Close Zcash4win
  4. Download and install Tor Browser
  5. Open the file %appdata%\Zcash\zcash.conf, add this line and save it:
    proxy=127.0.0.1:9150
  6. Start Tor Browser
  7. Run again Zcash4win :slight_smile:

If you want to go back running Zcash outside Tor, just remove/comment the new proxy line.

4 Likes

hello i am newbie i want to know what kind of benefit this windows gui mining wallet before i was set my miners on mining through flypool.

you can do private transactions without having to mess with command line nonsense, I think that’s the main benefit to miners for using it for their payouts

@HostFat @anon47418038 @vaklinov

is there any interest in baking in Tor support in the UI? Basically the ability to set the proxy in a user-friendly manner

2 Likes

there might be…also a way to toggle solo mining on and off in it has been asked for by quite a few people

someone on twitter just confirmed that yes, the same thing works on Mac with zcash4mac when you edit zcash.conf (which I would have expected to be the case), which is at ~/LIbrary/Application Support/Zcash/zcash.conf

1 Like

Can you also add a way to make it possible to set a different folder where to put the zcash data/downloaded blocks?

1 Like

that would best be done during installation I think, as you need to pass the -datadir option to zcashd when it launches…I’ll look into adding that as an option, as I"m still working on enhancements to the installer. The installer not being up to snuff in my opinion is why I still consider this a beta: I need to get it signed to banish all the warnings, have it create desktop and/or start menu shortcuts, etc.

3 Likes

love the wallet, is there a way to clear the huge transaction log?