Zcash4win BETA is out!

just open it in notepad, that’s what I’ve done when I’m not on a system with all my dev tools on it

So pasting c:\Program Files\zcash4win\app\zcashd.exe -daemon=0 -showmetrics=1 in Powershell did not work. Could you explain step by step?

you can try changing directories in powershell before running it:

cd "c:\Program Files\zcash4win\app"
.\zcashd.exe -daemon=0 -showmetrics=1

Thanks! That worked. So what’s the next step?

Just asking, you do realize that the program in teh screenshot is the wallet, it doesn’t mine… it’s where you get your wallet address and this is where it sends the coins you mine, that is a different program.

It should have Block Height listed there, check that against the current chain height at https://zcha.in o r https://insight.mercerweiss.com, and when it has sync’d (this will take a while, some hours!) go ahead and launch the GUI

if you leave the wallet running all the time it will stay sync’d and not use too much RAM/CPU and you’ll always be caught up. I have zcash, komodo and hush nodes all running on one dedicated system, for instance.

1 Like

Yes, and thanks for asking.

An error message told me to add -reindex, and now I’m currently at block height 46000. I will start the wallet when it reaches the latest block height according to the link you provided.

Hello! How about Windows 10 IoT (x64) - a version for micro-computers like Raspberry Pi-3?

the rasp pi 3 has an arm processor that isn’t fully 64 bit, so zcash can’t run on it. I’ve ported it to arm64, but rasberry pi 3 does not have the right processor architecture (believe me I have one…it can’t build libsnark because it isn’t fully 64 bit).

also the command line windows port (which is embedded inside zcash4win) should run just fine on Win10 IoT on x86

Thanks for Your reply! Maybe you can advice some fully 64bit packed compact device to build a wallet on?

are you married to ARM or is x86 ok?

I’m thinking of getting an Intel Compute stick to see how it runs on Win 10 IoT on that now

No, I’m ok with x86, thank you for the hint! But Intel stick looks a bit pricey, the cheapest model with x5-Z8300, 2 Gb RAM & 32Gb SSD onboard costs around $150USD in my country. Do you think it will work fine with zcash4win? Would you add the selection of installation path option, one can deploy zcah4win & all the node heavy data on extra microsd card.

I’m synced!

zcashd (Zcash node with a JSON-RPC server) uses 358 MB, and zcash4win uses 125 MB. Is that as expected?

How do I encrypt the wallet?

Is it possible to minimize to tray?

zcash4win should work on it fine, I’m wanting to give the command line only version a whirl

Hi @anon47418038,

I’ve just set up a Virtual Machine with Zcash4win installed and it’s working perfectly, thank you for this great piece of software!

If you could just clear up one thing for me I’d be very grateful: I have ZEC in my Transparent (T) Balance but nothing in my Private (Z) balance - does this mean people can see what I’m holding? If so, how would I transfer this to my Z balance please?

Apologies if this has already been asked, I tried searching but didn’t find much!

My wallet is sync and running, thanks for your work!

just 1 question, if i need to format my pc how can restore my wallet? y see a backup option and save that file to a pendrive but cant find how to restore, thanks!

If you have the wallet.dat file backed up, you can drop that into a fresh installation in the %AppData%\Zcash\ dir before you start it up and it’ll all be there