Zcash4win BETA is out!

All sounds good and working fine for me. thank you @anon47418038

1 Like

my internet connection sucks sometimes, so took me a long time (about 2 hours) to download the proving key. Otherwise it worked great! and I did not get any ā€œUnknown publisherā€ warnings. Maybe my user control settings are set to low or off, not sure why I did not get those warnings.

Such a simple installation, I hope that ZECC gave you a hefty donation for your completed work.

3 Likes

yeah you must have your stuff dialed way down, with the defaults on win2k16 server it whines something horrible because its not signed, both to download it and to install. Iā€™ll be getting a code signing certificate in the next couple of days and that pain should all go away.

2 Likes

I dont like getting pop up warnings when i test out stuff or install stuffā€¦ though I should probably turn it up when im not doing a video and turn it down before I do a video.

2 Likes

that sounds like a wise course of action!

2 Likes

heh, i only use windows on this computer to do videos though :stuck_out_tongue: so LOL i guess it would be turned down like 99% of the timeā€¦ I use Linux/Arch/Manjaro on this computer 99% of the timeā€¦ I game on my desktopā€¦ this is a kickass 4930m CPU laptop with SLI gtx780mā€™sā€¦ GPUs are a bit oldā€¦ but hehā€¦ no need to upgrade as i use desktops to game nowā€¦ used to not have desktops as was always renting and moving aroundā€¦ bit more settled now.

2 Likes

I do all my Windows dev and testing in VMs, either on my linux machine, or AWS or Azure

1 Like

yeah I only used a Vm when trying to create hackintosh USB installers LOL
I dont really like VMsā€¦ though I guess for this kind of installation I could use oneā€¦
but for video editing,. better use the full resources so better to just do it directly in windows

this laptop i triple boot win10/linux mint/linux arch manjaroā€¦ and mint is just there for a back upā€¦ windows is just there for video editing - and IF i ever take the laptop out of the house - to play a video gameā€¦

1 Like

@ anybody whoā€™s installed this: how big is the install including blockchain? Can it be installed in a directory other than os? I keep a small os for easy bu and restore. Thanks.

BTW, thanks Radix42 for making this!!!

1 Like

The current blockchain is a bit over 1.5 GB, and zcash4win is 206 MB. You can have the blockchain files in a different location than the default %AppData%\Zcash\ if you move them while its stopped, but then you have to start zcashd.exe by hand in the command line before the GUI with the -datadir= option with the location where you moved that directory to.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. Iā€™ll give it a try. Can I direct the blockchain to another drive before it installs to the default location? Thanks.

1 Like

to do that youā€™ll have to create the Zcash folder and zcash.conf file by hand and start zcashd.exe manually in powershell before you launch zcash4win the first time, but yes you theoretically can do that.

1 Like

Have installed it and all works fine. Is there somewhere to provide feedback? For example, after install ask ā€œDo you want to run zcash4win now?ā€ - rather than having to find it in the start menu? When I installed, it didnā€™t give any confirmation at the end of install - just looked like is disappearedā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m still working on customizing the installation setupā€¦yes this is why
its a BETAā€¦and this is the right place for feedback! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, While installing it start verifying the proving key and then I get a critical error. " A general unexpected critical error has occured: com.eclipseource.json ParseException: Expected value at 1:1 See console output for more detailed error information". Iā€™m running windows 10. Very happy we now have a zcash windows just would like to get it working.

Regards,
jc

1 Like

hhmmmmmā€¦sometimes that happens when zcashd is starting up, its supposed to catch that error, but thereā€™s a race condition I havenā€™t been able to figure outā€¦that oneā€™s not a Windows specific problem, been trying to track down what triggers it for months.

Try starting zcashd.exe by hand in a Powershell window before launching the gui with these commands and see if that works:

cd c:\Program Files\zcash4win\app
.\zcashd.exe
1 Like

I am getting this:

Set-Location : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument ā€˜Files\zcash4win\appā€™.
At line:1 char:1

• cd c:\Program Files\zcash4win\app
  •   + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-Location], ParameterBindingException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetLocationCommand

.\zcashd.exe : The term ā€˜.\zcashd.exeā€™ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable
program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:2 char:1

• .\zcashd.exe
  •   + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (.\zcashd.exe:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Any thoughts

1 Like

ack I think you need quotes! Try:

cd "c:\Program Files\zcash4win\app"
.\zcashd.exe -daemon=0 -showmetrics=1
1 Like

ok that was betterā€¦

Before starting zcashd, you need to create a configuration file:
C:\Users\Jeffrey Chudyk\AppData\Roaming\Zcash\zcash.conf
It can be completely empty! That indicates you are happy with the default
configuration of zcashd. But requiring a configuration file to start ensures
that zcashd wonā€™t accidentally compromise your privacy if there was a default
option you needed to change.

You can look at the example configuration file for suggestions of default
options that you may want to change. It should be in one of these locations,
depending on how you installed Zcash:

• Source code: contrib/DEBIAN/examples/zcash.conf
  • .deb package: /usr/share/doc/zcash/examples/zcash.conf
    PS C:\Program Files\zcash4win\app>

What must I do next?

Thanks for your quick helpā€¦I really appreciate it.

jc

2 Likes

Ugh the gui makes the config file on first launch!

Try this:

cd "c:\Program Files\zcash4win\app"
.\first-run.bat
.\zcashd.exe

And then once zcashd.exe is running ok, try launching the GUI

1 Like