Zcash 2.0.0 has announced that it will affect ASIC mining?

Blockquote

SAPLING ACTIVATION

MAINNET

This release is consensus-compatible with the Sapling network upgrade, and so we’re encouraging all users and miners to upgrade as soon as possible. The first block of Sapling will be block 419200, which is expected to be mined on the 28th of October 2018, the second anniversary of Zcash’s official launch. You can read more about the Sapling network upgrade here or on the Sapling Network Upgrade page.

There’s nothing about ASIC mining in that post.

What does “miners to upgrade” mean? What should miners upgrade for?

After a quick read of the links posted above, seems to me that the only upgrade needed by miners are the wallets, as they will use a different format z address

The reason miners will need to upgrade, is because the transaction format is changing to support Sapling. Thus their coinbase transactions need to be in the new format, and the signatures need to use the updated SigHash (that covers the Sapling additions).

2 Likes

thanks a lot for your explanation.

I hope that LedgerWallet with its Nano-S will be ready for the upcoming Sapling update.
I hope that ZCashCo and the community in general will solicit LedgerWallet to have its firmware/software updated BEFORE Sapling goes live so to have it working at day 0.
Having a supported hardware wallet is critical for many users.