Z9 performance and general discussion

There’s a router xxxxxx

1 Like

ok thanks. can i connect it straight from the pc to the z9?

i doubt this will work.

1 Like

It’s possible. Read something about local networks.

1 Like

i don’t have a wifi network as i use a modem to connect to the internet. so i wanna know how i can connect internet from pc to the z9

Pretty sure your “modem” is also a NAT router. If your router does not have additional ports, get a small, unmanaged switch to wire up your network devices.

1 Like

thank you maesitos! they are really loud! how warm is it there? and the second one on the top doesn’t look like a Z9mini?

All three are Z9mini. It’s a very tall industrial building and the temperature is lower than outside. These week is being a very hot week and the miners are reaching 79ºC :scream: We are reaching 40ºC today in Madrid…

They are louder now with the fan spinning at 5100 r/min. Last week it was about 4500 r/min.

and how much degrees are it in the building?

I would downclock them as long as it’s that hot at your place, 79 C is pretty hot for a modern Asic. I personally don’t let mine go over 70 C to prevent them from overheating/damage. Just a good advice, of course you can try to squeeze them all the time, but i think it’s better to go safe than sorry.

1 Like

My z9 mini runs at 68-80 degrees depending on whether it is day or night (fully overclocked). The weather has been dry and overly hot for weeks now.

I figure I rather risk it than sacrificing precious hashpower. We don’t know if these miners will be obsolete in the near future, so I’d rather have all the power now rather than later. But hopefully it will get colder soon.

why risk a whole Z9mini unit for some temporary 10% overclock decrease for example? You can comfortably mine with 14.5k hash for example in the range of <70C for some days when the weather is hot, when it gets colder just set it back to max. overclock and you are on the safe side.
Seriously, for some 1 or 2$ per day and some days only i wouldn’t risk it, but ok, if you are comfortable with the risk/gain ratio, why not…

1 Like

Life is short, especially if you are a dog or an ASIC

1 Like

I would have to clock it to almost stock settings to get temp <70 throughout the day. I had to put right under the roof in my garage, so the ambient temps will be high. But as long as it stays <80 most of the time, it should be good…probably :grin:

supplement extra air movement, even with ambient temperatures being elevated if you increase the volume moving across should be ok
Will they operate with the cover removed? If you haven’t already done that

If that would even help I’m not even sure
My mining rig has five passively cooled cards to which I complimented with 13 computer fans
You can find the sweetspot
A warm day like today yeah could hit the 70s low 80s even (C° obviously) but with a box fan sitting right next to it stays in the mid to low 70s thru the hot days
Hmmm z9 open air cases? I bet they’d be way quieter

1 Like

my personally does just that. Supplying more air from outsite with some bigger fans. And of course the hot exhaust is sperated directly from the miners. The room itself stays very cool that way with minimum afford.

I’am not sure if removing the cover would reduce temperature as the airflow wouldn’t be directed anymore directly to the chips. Would need some real test to find out i guess. Same with them getting quieter, not sure about that either, could be.
I’am pretty sure that if not overclocked a normal high performance 120 fan (not an industrial one) would do the job way more silently, but not with overclocking.

1 Like

Reward system is really not that important if you mine consistently and do not switch pools too often.

On Slush Pool we currently have 0% fee with transaction fees shared. So it really is a zero. :slight_smile:

In general, the performance of Z9 is really solid on our pool, we can see dozens of overcloced Z9s running at about 17 ksol/s. But it can of course differ from device to device.

3 Likes

I’m logging my experience with a Z9 Mini and tracking the overheads versus revenues:

• 44% of breakeven reached after 58 days (& 1/3 of the hash power).
  • DIY silencer works surprisingly well.

https://steemit.com/mining/@unfairfunfair/mining-zcash-with-the-antminer-z9-mini-part-5-progress-update-and-silencing

1 Like

This makes me pause. Clearly someone running an ASIC is an at-home user and I’m wondering what the percentage of at-home versus farm miners are right now after the introduction of ASICs. Did you mine before buying an ASIC?

Disclosure: I own one Z9 mini, hundreds of 1080 tis.

I did not mine prior to this. GPU mining has never really appealed to me, far too much maintenance.
I’d guess that there are more at-home miners than professional, however I think the vast majority of mining hardware is controlled by professionals. At home people probably own 1-10 devices, where as professionals have 500+. Large set up have many thousands of devices.

1 Like