WinZEC, Zcash4win/mac, Overwinter and Sapling: an uncertain future

Well while I slept the community (mostly a large anonymous zaddr donation) dropped 80 ZEC into the “WinZEC on Sapling” fund, as can be seen via the block explorer links up-thread, so consider things Back To Normal, and I’m not gonna do a chainfork or walk away from WinZEC or anything extreme like that.

Just please everyone understand the bursty and unpredictable nature of down-stream platform/OS/processor support, which is why the (nearly there!) goal of having non-linux and eventually non-x86 builds be in mainline zcash is such a big deal, and thank the god of your choice we’re all nearly there (props to @kozyilmaz again on such excellent work on the Mac side and getting things upstreamed!!)

Mac users are still somewhat left out in the cold, they will have to either run the just mentioned excellent command line version and manually run the Swing UI Wallet, and there needs to be a good FAQ written up for that…and unfortunately the “manifest MacZEC” donation addy above still is at a big fat ZERO. This is why companies’ mac releases tend to version lag, disappear or never happen in the first place. Too small of user base (which saddens me as I am typing this on my beloved macbook pro, and my mac port is how I splashed onto the whole crypto scene in the first place!)

Anyway, community support has come through yet again, so I don’t think I’ll be needing Foundation support to make it through to Sapling with a Windows GUI wallet, @acityinohio

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.

Peace,

-D. Jane

12 Likes