Was there news this morning?

Bitcoin and major alts started going down 2 hours ago. But ZEC took off. That’s a GREAT position to be in. What in the world could cause ZEC to be viewed as a safe-haven compared to the other coins? It went up in absolute dollar terms as the others went down so it’s not just an exchange rate effect. The traders preferred ZEC over the dollar and other major coins when they got spooked. Things have retraced some, but ZEC is still ahead and it’s those sudden instantaneous moves that show people’s heart.

Edit: in looking at it further, ZEC has had a nice smooth up trend the past 2 days. That gave it a good base to start from this morning. One thing hurting ETH and Monero is that they had a big jump in the past two days, so their base was more fragile. But these recent accidents do not explain why ZEC went up while they went down when the market was spooked. These are the professional traders doing the short-term moves early Sunday morning, and if they know the future better than others, ZEC has a nice mid-term outlook. Maybe ZEC is more of a U.S. coin and something spooked China and Europe, but still it does not explain the rise.

3 Likes

i’m one of those traders - here’s a quick-n-dirty analysis: you either buy zcash under $100, or you buy zcash over $100… those are the two options!

2 Likes

I think you’re more of a holder, already maxed into ZEC. What I’m saying is that in addition to holders like you, there are traders on the sidelines “playing the field” that just let it slip this morning that they have a secret love, ZEC. They’re out there getting nooky on the side, but came back home Sunday morning when they got scared.

2 Likes

actively trading - BTC-ZEC-USD in a triangular fashion, but you’re somewhat correct - won’t be making major trades until we’re recieving fair market value @ $100+
; )

1 Like

PS, it reached $81. If you exclude the 1st month, that’s a new high. (edit: correction, it reached up to $90 on March 18)

2 Likes

That’s really impressive when considering how new it is. When more casual cryptocoiners adopt it and it breaks $200, it might get viewed by everyone as a real alternative to bitcoin. This forum is so dead, there seems to be a lot of room to grow.

1 Like

Kek, where’s the safest place to buy ZEC?

depends on use case, and location… as a US based trader; prolly use kraken, and bitfinex… if privacy’s a concern believe cumberland mining sells OTC, or shapeshift (I’ve never used either service)

have no special information, but my spidy senses are telling me there’s going to be a few big announcements soon…
also, believe people are starting to realize how bad ASICs are for an alt network. imo, ASICs are a slow agonizing death!

1 Like

How is this stuff regulated? I mean it’s not a stock, but it works exactly like a stock. So insiders seem to have the legal freedom to capitalize on inside information. And in this case, it’s even a formal company, selling “shares” to the public without even needing an IPO. The employees get ot sell their “stock options” immediately, completely negating the whole incentivizing that exists in stocks. It has characteristics of a Ponzi scheme, insiders can pump and dump, there’s no wait period on selling their shares, there’s no investor protection, and they can act at will on inside information. I’m just curious. Is this just an example of technology getting ahead of law or are there actually some laws regulating this stuff that I’m not aware of?

From what I could see, a new hashtag #UASF (user activated soft fork) was really trending on Twitter this morning about the time Zcash and the other alts took off. It seems any bad news/FUD no matter how small for Bitcoin is good for ZEC/Alts. And the inverse correlation of a increase in Bitcoin price weighs against the price of ZEC/Alts.

Disclaimer: I am not giving investment advice, just my observation.

1 Like

Thx!

R u mining Zcash? I’m learning on a couple of CPU machines.

yissss!! not large-scale, tho… have 12 RX 480s, basically, enjoy tinkering with them. as-a-matter-of-fact, just received a couple flow 6.1 gpu cases!! they’ve bee. hard-to-come-by …i’m soooo gunna post a pic in the rig pr0n thread \o/

GAWD, those are BEAUTIFUL!

1 Like

there’s more traffic on the zcash rocket.chat, especially in the topic-specific channels.

I regularly use shapeshift for trades and have had no issues (aside from bitcoin network congestion when trading a btc involved pair, which hits everyone!)

Also shapeshift is integrated into Jaxx and some other multi-coin wallets (and has transparent address zcash support)

2 Likes

and thank the gods that zcash is ASIC resistant for mining. the bitcoin ASIC designer I know in China still laments the memory bandwidth needs of zcash, which is still out of reach for any of the affordable fabrication processes

3 Likes