The FACTS about GPU mining electrical specifications

at least that is how i understand his first post >D 2x SATA-to-6pin
Like from the view of single numbers SATA connectors seems to be a possible solution but viewed from they build design and considering conditions they will be in it isnt save to use them

the 2x 6pin-to-8pin is normally used also by GPU manufactures and since he has 2x6 pin on PSU the PSU is old and could still have the multilead design

Yes koso16 has it correct. And the issues you brought up are good to know, I hadnā€™t thought about that.

1 Like

well its up to you its your money invested in the HW and you need to decide if you play it save or if you like to live dangerously

Sure I understand the premise of what he is suggesting but we are talking about main power to the card. First fire hazard is the 6pin to sata adapter. Those are notoriously bad to use on the riser which usually does not pull the full 75w unlike the 6 pin port on the card which could pull the full load. Then we have the sata cable and connection to the psu. The connection at the psu is rated for 75w not 54+54. Some people mistakenly believe they can string 2 or 3 cards together because of the chain. This is incorrect. The reason for these 2 or 3 sata chains is because hard drives might pull 15w so 3x would be 45w.
All around itā€™s a risky situation. Fire be ware

P.s a little electrical info. Most electrical fires do not happen right away. Overloading a wire or connection builds up heat. Heat over time wares down the wire, covers and connectors. Fires happen after the wire and connectors fail. That could happen in 5 days or 5 months of 24/7 use. If you are lucky you are around when it happens and can prevent a house fire.

that is wrong the connection rating depends on the PSU type single rail PSU have one rail for all the 12V cables for a 1KW PSU it is about 83A you could theoretical draw the 83A thru a single connector if it wouldnt burn ā€¦multi rail PSUs has this divided into multiple rail and each such designed PSU has this rating written on the side of it or in the manual in case u get some expensive one like corsair HX1000i that has a Switch and support booth designs
your assumption that the rail is rated only on 45W because it has only 3 connectors on the cable is wrong first not all psus has 3 connectors there are also 2 connector and 5 connector version second if the PSU is multi rail the sata rail wiil be rated much higher than 54W since you need also some headroom otherwise the psu would shut off with each spike

This is how the HX 1000i is rated on in multirail mode this can be different on other brands
Enabling multi-rail mode will also enable Over Current Protection (OCP). +12V OCP is set to 40 A on each modular 8-pin connector (for PCIe and EPS connectors), 40 A on the 24-pin ATX connector, and 40 A for all the 6-pin modular SATA and peripheral connectors combined

as for the rest u just confirmed what i have written in the first and second replay to petre ā€¦

I think I am confusing the issue. I am thinking of a modular psu with a male 6 pin connection. (I only get fully modular psus now)If you have a 12v rail, and you are pulling much more than the connector can handle, then it could burn out the connection at the psu. That was my idea when posting. A lot also depends on how good the parts are. Anyways, the whole idea of powering a 1080ti via a 6 pin to 2 sata adapters seems like a bad idea no matter which way you think about it.

i thing you getting confused XD u thing that a 6 pin connector can supply only 75W but that is false the power draw depends on the GPU check the pinout of the 8pin and 6 pin u realize they have the same numbers of +12 cables they can boot give the same amount of power a good example is the 6+2 Pin connector the +2 are the sense that are setting the gpu to draw more from the single connector the problem is that some crappy cheap manufactures didnt really followed the cable thickness or didnt connected 3 cables for the +12 but only 2 (the middle one is optional and in case it is not connected the circuit is save to handle 75W only) for the 6Pins

Thanks for the update. Yes I have seen where some bad component pieces have melted. At least we agree that the 2x sata adapter to 6 pin to power the GPU is definitely a risky proposition. I donā€™t even know why the riser sellers can sell those things. I wonder how many are out there which are not good quality and the leads are slowly melting away. Kind of like little fire bombs waiting to go off.

1 Like

Hey ZC93 ā€¦ thank you so much for writing this. I just want to have you confirm that I have everything straight:
1)Never use SATA for powering riser cards unless you have a fire extiguisher handy
2)If you have to use Molex, limit it to one riser per cable.

Now hereā€™s the tricky bit:

Corsair PSUs are supplied with PCIe power cables that are 8-pin on the PSU side and have two 6+2 pins on the other. A tech support person assured me that despite the connection on the PSU side being 8 pin, the cable as a whole can support up to 300 watts.

Further, he told me that I could either use that cable as is or, if using an appropriate 8-pin to 2x 6+2-pin splitter, that I could use four 6-pin connections per cable.

Does this sound right or am I getting into risky territory? The splitters I am planning on using are 18AWG Tinned Copper UL1007 Wire as told to me by the company claiming to be the manufacturer (YeahWork on Amazon with the brand name Kalolary) If a link to the splitter would be helpful, I can provide that too.

Many thanks and keep up the excellent work!

Here is one of many searches on it

The question is do you want to do it? Wires and connectors are rated for a certain amount. A 15amp circuit could handle say 20amp without tripping right away, but over time heat builds up and will degrade the wires and components. The electrical safety code says that a 15 amp circuit can only safely handle 15amps for to 3 hours. The max continuous load is NOT 1800 watts, but 80% or 1440 watts.
So just like a house, just because a wire or component can handle something short term, does not mean it is safe 24/7

So are you saying that while Corsair tech support is correct in theory in the short term, that ā€“ even if the cable were to use 16AWG (which according to one report it is) ā€“ it isnā€™t wise to use both 8-pin connectors for anything long term? If thatā€™s so, it would seem to be irresponsible of the and that they should be making cables that are either 2x6-pin, 1x8-pin, or at the very least have in bold print somewhere that would plainly say the intended use.

ZC93ā€¦ can you chime in on this?

Thank you

Yeah maybe someone else has a different opinion. Lots of times with electrical it depends on the quality of components. Some might make components that are completely fine handling a certain load. For example I have several 8 pin cables that have a split with a 6+2 and a 6 pin. So technically if all were connected it would be 150 + 75 for 225w. I personally only use the suggested max load of 150w for an 8 pin. Thatā€™s my comfort level running something 24/7. So could you do something, sure lots of things are possible and may be fine, but when it comes down to mining 24/7 I like to be on the safe side. Especially when you start adding extra adapters and components into the mix. But that is my preference. Maybe someone will say go for it, itā€™s fine.

I user EVGA PSUā€™s

If the GPU calls for a 8 + 8 or a 8+6 I use the single (combo) EVGA cable that comes with the PSU. I try to make sure I buy 8+6 gpuā€™s so as not to incur the extra cost of ordering additional 8+8 combo cables from EVGA.

Riser I use either 1 sata per cable or 2 molex per cable

If the gpu calls for a single 8 or 6 pin I would also use the additional combo plug (if riser is a 6pin) to power the riser .

I would not recommend using an converter adapter as a permanent solution

Thanks for your input. I think there are too many people using adapters to change from one thing to another. Every time you use an adapter, there is a link and the link can be problematic. I have heard of many melted cables or fried psus because of wacky power setups. I think people donā€™t take into account that you are running these things 24/7 for months or years. Sure it might give you no problems for a week or a month or more, but if there is a bad connection then problems. Same with house wiring. Running 1800w down a 15amp line is fine for awhile, but eventually the thing will degrade and there could be a fire. I wonder how many houses out there have a rig pulling 1600w++ 24/7 on a 15amp line.

Ah yesā€¦ I agree it is very job specificā€¦ maybe I should be more precise: With the information given to me by Corsair tech (300w max per cable) I was planning on powering two risers and two 1060 6GB cards (that only require a 6-pin each). While employing power limit in Afterburner, I donā€™t see either card drawing a total of more than 100W each. Does that make sense or am I still pushing it?

A 1060 does not use a lot of power. Most people also reduce power on them. My 1060s are set between 70 and 75 watts. Under that condition 2 would draw 150w. Much more creative solutions are possible with lower watts. Again a lot depends on the cables and connectors. Just one faulty pin and if you are drawing so much (300w from a 6 pin)and there could be problems. So 2 cards at 75w might be ok.

Thanksā€¦ thatā€™s given enough of an encouragement for me to go ahead. As a precaution, Iā€™ll do a regular ā€œfeel testā€ of the cables for temp as I donā€™t have a FLIR handy.

If anyone else also wants to chime in, Iā€™d be happy to hear.

You can do the touch test on the connectors to see if they are getting warm, but the problem with electrical is that you never know when it will bad. Long term best to get better power supply and cables.

It also depends on your rig, what GPU do you use ?
I use a Corsair ax 860 for my 1080 Ti, I use the 2 x 8 cable to connect them, running for a long time, no problems. 2 are connected with the 2 x 8 and 2 are connected with 4 single 8, risers are connected with a 2 x 8 that is splitt into 4 x 6. Running for more then 7 months now without any issues.
On my other rig 2 1070 GPU and 2 1080 are daisychained this way, also no problems, no heat.

Corsair tech is right, the 2 x 8 cable delivers 300 watt.

See, my problem isnā€™t about running out of watts, itā€™s connectors. Each of my 1060ā€™s require a 6-pin (in rare cases, an 8-pin) and then another 6-pin for the riser. On the two boards that I have that require the 8-pin, I donā€™t split that connector (just directly from manufacturerā€™s cable to card) and use two molex cables (one for each riser).

Regardless of the max capacity of the connectors, nvidia-smi (the NVIDIA System Management Interface) tells me that the highest drawing card is 85w and the rest range from 71-75wā€¦ none even come close the the 150w or more that the 8-pin plus riser power would suggest (in fact, that one oddball 85w card is an Asus Dual that only uses a 6-pin plus slot power).

I know that this might seem like I am just banging on until I get the answer I want, but Iā€™m actually kinda stuck here because if I do just use the four PCIe cables provided to power four of my GPUs and their riser boards, which I was doing until the splitters came, I use a little under 400watts at the wall on a 1000W power supply. Needless to say, not only is that wasteful of capacity, but using that little actually drops the efficiency of the PSU (If I remember correctly, efficiency peaks at about 50% load at the PSU on a HX1000i and similar).

Iā€™ve even looked at server PSUs with breakout boardsā€¦ and while they are cheap, efficient, and have a ton of PCIe cables, they donā€™t work for me either because they are so loud that Iā€™d even hear one in my basement. (I donā€™t have a shed yetā€¦ just trying to get one rig together for now)

So, if the Corsair tech is right, are there splitters that are known to be better than the rest? Of course I would ditch them the moment I upgrade the rig with power-hungry cards. Am I overthinking this in my particular setup?