Technical AMA w/ Zcash team June 15, 2018 noon PST

I think I saw this in action on Sapling activated testnet as proving times were ~27 seconds :boom: as opposed to times > 60 seconds. Is the memory requirement still the same at ~1.7MB?

1 Like

Yeah, the disadvantage of an rpc call directly from sprout to sapling would be that someone could forget the amount is temporarily exposed…

3 Likes

Sapling does not include all of the pieces needed to remove t-addresses. It is a significant step on the way. We’ll also need to replace functionality that is currently only supported for transparent addresses such as multisig and scripting, and change parts of the consensus protocol that depend on them such as coinbase transactions and fees.

We’re pretty confident that we know how to replace all of these things, and at that point I would expect us to push hard on eliminating t-addresses.

4 Likes

I think the memory requirement has gone down to around 1 GB or so. Edit: actually 1.2 GB, as measured here. The 717 MiB mentioned in the comment that @arielgabizon links below is only the size of the parameters, not the run-time memory usage.

3 Likes

Yep :slight_smile: memory also goes down to 700MB use new proving system and parameters for Sprout notes · Issue #3071 · zcash/zcash · GitHub

[Edit by @daira: this isn’t the run-time memory usage. See the preceding comment.]

3 Likes

That’s a wrap, folks! Thanks for participating!

I’m going to close this thread but feel free to break out on any of the issues raised here into new forum topics!

9 Likes