No ROI in mining Zcash or any other altcoin

Current $ per ZEC required break even on electricity and equipment costs assuming a $200 device using 100 W and getting 150 S/s that will be worth 1/2 price in a year.

0.15/kWh x 0.100 kW = X /ZEC x 24 Block/hr x 6.9 ZEC/block x 150 S/s / 25 M S/s

X = $15 per ZEC for electricity

Equip depreciation:
$100/365/576/6.9/150x25M = $11.50 per ZEC for equipment depreciation.

So at normal electricity costs, a good setup up, and $55 per ZEC you can profit 2x your equipment costs.

As soon as a good wallet and z addresses are working, demand for the coin from a few big sources could be huge. Mining from the big guys with cheap electricity will only be a few months behind increasing demand, keeping things like they are now with ETH, except ETH is more profitable now thanks to ZEC.

3 Likes

Nothing yet from my perspective as an analyst is not unexpected. Price is leveling out. Time is the greatest designator of success. Not heresy. Price should be under 50.

You did not do the calculations well.

1200ā‚¬ for a 4GPUs rig
700ā‚¬ for 1 year electricity

1900ā‚¬

According to this calculation I do not have the benefit nor to pay the cost of the equipment.

If I buy the equivalent in ZEC 1900 ā‚¬ I can buy 34.5 ZEC at this moment 3 ZEC more than I would give a year of mining.

After doing these calculations you will think that you are wasting time in mining ZEC and should buy them directly.

You will say that I am not taking into consideration that the price of ZEC can go up (or go down). Then I tell you, I will get more benefit if I buy ZEC.

1 Like

Right, I left out the cost of the rest of the rig (on accident) and assumed a miner with a very efficient rig in terms of hash per electricity. Right, most small miners are not going to make any money.

Hm. I consider myself as a small minerā€¦ :grin:

Anyone that thought Zcash would have a solid price with no current practical use set themselves up for failure from the beginning. Ask yourselves what can you do with Zcash currently other than mine and trade it? Zcash will hold no value until that changes.

Take ETH for example. It traded below its ICO price for months and took a year or two before it found its footing to get where it is today. Same is the case with XMR where it only recently saw a surge in its price. Neither one of these currencies started out life trading at their current prices, so what makes Zcash any different. As with all alt coins, even Bitcoin, you mine it while price action is non-existent in the hopes that the price will rise substantially in the future. If youā€™re not willing to take that risk, then one would be better served to just buy the coin instead, and leave mining to the risk takers like myself.

Given the mentality in this thread, those currently upset with Zcash would of missed the boat with Bitcoin as well applying the same logicā€¦

4 Likes

Well looks like some people are actually shutting down their rigs.

ETH diff was constant for the last 24 hours and ZEC diff failed to go higher than 500 for the last 5 daysā€¦

I stopped my rig yesterday. Actually Zcash is not decentralized. Itā€™s owned by the founders as you can see the team is controlling this forum. They can ban users or lock threads as they like. :sunglasses:

move to zclassic but i see no direction there.

lol, i just went to www.whattomine.com and filled in 0.2 at $/KWh. result, none of the GPU mineable coins is profitable on these default settings over thereā€¦

thatā€™s only partly true. if itā€™s actually costing money to mine, then you can better just buy them at the exchange. less work, easier result. i would not mine zcash if it would not be profitable. i would not even buy them also at this price because at this moment i dont see the market interest in this yet another coin.

I have 1.1gh farm for ETH and Iā€™m proitable.
Electricity is .07c
Profit is roughly $1500 CAD a month ( love that exchange rate )

1 Like

You canā€™t join this thread with your business plan and your market research - this thread is for pissinā€™ and moaninā€™ā€¦ :smiley:

1 Like

care to share your setup?

Actually, my post had nothing to do with emotions. Mining is strictly a business proposition for me, as it should be for all.

1 Like

x9
Asrock h81 pro btc
54 cards R9380 4gb

Mine is a bit lower, around 12 cents per kWh. But when I factor in the time it takes me to monitor and tweak it, check for newer/faster miners and the stress that my rig takes running full blown O/C 24/7 at nearly 400 watts, itā€™s a no brainer to shut it down.

How long have you been building your farm ?

To each his own my friend. All Iā€™m saying is if the early Bitcoin adopters had used your same logic from 2009 to January of 2011 and not mined BTC from the time it had no value up to the time it reached $1, they wouldā€™ve missed the boat on the real profits that were made years later from Bitcoin when it was trading for $1,000 USD. Same philosophy applies to venture capital investing. Itā€™s easier to invest funds into buying an already established business, but thereā€™s more potential to make a lot more money by investing into start-ups. Some start-ups fail and some start-ups succeed, which is where you hopefully makeup for your losses in the other investments. To me the same applies with cryptos. At least with mining at a loss, if the coin goes belly up you can always sell your hardware to help recover some of the cost vs. only having the coin to sell and recovering a much smaller portion.

4 Likes

I built it at same time 6 months ago

1 Like