Mining Speculation/Strategy

Can you explain - does your CPU get split into 2 devices or do you have 2 CPUs mining? Also, any indication of power usage on those?

The program is nicehash miner its the older one the new version 2.0 looks way different…

it spilt the cpu into two separate ones, when you run both at 100% NH can’t handle it, when you run just one it works fine but at only 50%

Sorry, still not quite sure I understand.

If you add just one to NH, then it can’t handle it at full load? So you added the CPU as 2 ‘half’ CPUs so that each would run?

Another update on GPU pricing and shortage. Ingram Micro is now showing for almost all GPU’s an ETA of 12/31/26. I am sure that this is their way of keeping people from calling in for updates but it is across the board. Also, some wholesale prices are almost $150+ over MSRP. Here’s to hoping the bloodbath shakes out some weak knees.

1 Like

the ETA is just a standard value they set. quite like linux starts always at the 01/01/1970

The ETA yesterday for some was 2/9/18 up towards 3/16 or later giving some indication of expected delivery. Their new “standard” is 2026 giving no hope for delivery if that date were true. They are just trying to scare off buyers b/c they are, IMO, overwhelmed with inquiries. The last time I called in they would only accept backorder inquiries on 3 models before they told me to call back.

zcash now is most profitable to mine on what to mine and I am getting less now .

I kinda liked it when it was not on top .

1 Like

Every time I check the hash rate of Flypool, I just cringe. I take a .25 payout and with it constantly going up I wonder when it will be unprofitable to mine.

Just watched a video where they demo the NVIDIA Titan V mining ZCash. 748 Sol/s out of the box. The best part is it’s half the power usage of a GTX 1080 ti. The worst part is the card cost $2999 from NVIDIA. It is a good preview to what the Volta chips can do.

Right. With OC and software optimization the Titan V has already reached 1050 Sols/s at an efficiency of 5.1 Sols/watt. See more data at https://ba.net/zcash-eth-nvidia-mining-os/building-your-first-mining-rig.html#gpu

At least if the price keeps dropping, the difficulty should go down…fwiw. It’s become one of those situations where if you didn’t get into mining before the end of last year, you’ve mostly missed the boat unless you want to pay out the a$$ to get into it.

I had dinner with a colleague last night who is doing lite mining with his idle card. I told him I got into in July of last year. I also told him how much I make a day doing it. He was impressed with my setup.

@banet 1050Sols/s makes me want to buy one now. Having a 7 card rig of those would probably only take a while to payoff but totally worth it.

@ current pricing roughly 26 months

If 13 months is all it takes then I just need to find $21k for the 7 card rig. For the moment I want to find the $3k to start the rig with. The question is will the consumer model high end Volta cards have as much hash power as the Titan V.

Sorry I typo’d its 26 months at current pricing, not 13

I look to balance power consumption vs GPU price vs hashrate. It’s my personal opinion that the 1060 3gb card balances those variables the best (for Zcash mining). With that card you get 275 h/s for what used to be 225 bucks (said angrily) and uses about 100W. There are few cards that will give you 1+ hash per dollar. Now I think that’s impossible unless you reach back into the used market, but all those older cards are power pigs.

That’s closer to what I thought. I was estimating 2 years.

Before the GPU market went insane, my plan was to build about 10 rigs of GTX 1060 6gb. I’ve found that there is not much difference in the output between the 3gb and 6gb. It’s about 25Sols/s. I’m thinking of redoing my strategy and do GTX 1050ti for the moment. The cards are still a little high, but the payback time is better.

I have a rig with 1050ti’s. They use about 68 watts and do ~170sol/s. They were 150 bucks…prolly 600 now…wtf?!