Mining Speculation/Strategy

ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-11G-GAMING @ 975CHF equal 1035.64USD

its good news if these prices are there .

here in austria you could also see prices of some things appearing cheap .
but (out of stock ) or ( unknown shipping time ) or ( add extra $$$ for payment ) or ( preorder , which will have maybe 800 euro price tag minimum for KFA gpus ) imagine that .

and most of the time amazon.de has cheapest prices in europe .

https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gtx+1080ti+11gb&sprefix=gt%2Caps%2C157&crid=M38N50OH6552

IN reference to the power supply problems -

If you are willing to step away from the ATX form factor and use refurbished server power supplies with breakout boards, or solder and modify them based on the datasheets you can save a lot of money.
I was able to get 28 675w 91% efficient for an average price of $8.50 used/refurbished. They are quiet, they are relatively efficient (for the cost it is stellar, and they can be replaced later if need be) They can be used without a breakout board if you’re willing to solder the wires directly to the card edge (or one chinese company on ebay makes breakout boards that puts two in parallel with current sharing)

It’s not that hard if you’re willing to do a bit more work and research.

thank you! but I’m just a smal miner :slight_smile:

As an IT professional who has the ability to purchase cards (1080 TI’s, 1070 TI’s and 1070’s) from distributors, cards are becoming even more scarce and wholesale prices exceed MSRP by, in some cases, more than $100. At the end of Dec. I was able to purchase out of available inventory from my distributors. Now there are lead times from 30 days (if you pick the crap card) to 120+ days with 1000’s more cards with no ETA. Some wholesalers are even removing manufacturers (PNY and Zotac) from their databases for reasons unknown as of yet. The other manufacturers have stopped taking orders altogether. I used to be able to pick from dozens of models in a “1080 TI” search. Now I have 3 choices all with 100’s of cards before me.

Also, one distributor posts the warning

Video cards are on allocation thru end of 2018. There is no ETA or lead time and PRICING WILL go up without notice and vendors can cancel PO at any time

So, the card you order today at $821.42 (real distributor price for a ROG Strix GTX 1080 TI) will increase. Will you get to buy it? Who knows. If you get to buy it when will you get it? Who knows.

I don’t see an end to it until 3rd quarter 2018 if at all this year. I even suspect that distributors and/or manufacturers will start to require bulk orders greater than 2 safeguards that cards won’t be used for mining. How? Requiring additional background checks of purchasers, such as my company, are also a certified systems builder. That or they will do what vendors such as CDW et al are already doing; requiring purchases of 1 at a time per household.

1 Like

one also should take in consideration that last 4 days price actually is in range 400 - 460 .

if there are one more push down to 350 or 300 for example ( I don’t think so. but nothing is impossible )

6000 USD will be getting you almost 2 years of mining reward of 6000 USD rig, without any mining hassle or electricity cost .

it will be plain stupid that time not to buy the coins and instead buy GPUs at those levels . because soon enough I as a miner, might even think of selling my GPUs while prices are high , and snatch some coins at those levels .
and I am pretty sure many will be thinking same .

and we know what does that mean , flooded used GPU market and the rig that costs 6000 will be worth 3000 and the miner who invested in it, doesn’t even have any coins yet and he is already 50% down on investment.

but that ofcorse is speculation , but any how the thread is called mining speculation :slight_smile:

I just checked Craigslist in my area. No rigs or GPU’s of any value for sale yet. Will wait for the gluttony of used GPU’s. :slight_smile:

Also, just got this from a distributor.

Please note that GTX Series cards are on worldwide allocation. SKUs are restricted at the moment due to price instability.

I can open up parts for you to quote but need you to make sure that reseller is aware that vendor may change cost. Any quote now would be budgetary. Pricing can only be confirmed once cards are available to ship and not necessarily when order is placed. If cost goes up we will need to pass on costs to reseller. Long ETAs on all Geforce parts.

Can you ask them what is their application for the cards – if it’s not for gaming or mining, we can direct them to the workstation cards. GeForce prices have gone up with no firm ETA, they are now very close to the price of Quadro, so they may want to consider Quadro instead of Geforce.

Ordered one from a vendor last night. They were quick to take my money, but wonder how long it will take to deliver.

@Morinic Ebay would be the first place to check when used GPUs start flooding the market.

Just got a notice from the vendor telling me that the card I ordered had a price increase from the manufacturer. This was after I paid them. I think that’s a load of crap and told them to cancel my order. I’m going to see what I can pick up for used on ebay for used cards as now is the time to ramp things up.

1 Like

So… you know all those people that say this miner is faster, or that miner is faster, or I’m not paying the dev fee because USD $2.00 fee is way too much to pay when I just earned $100.00 for their work… I’ll stick with EWBF and pay his fee. Be nice to the Dev’s!

GPU is a MSI 1080 TI Hybrid Sea Hawk Cosair

2 pictures posted, one with AB settings, and another after running for 24+ hours

20180130_084101

When you mine everyone gets a cut of your ZEC. The mining pool, the founders, and the mining app devs. In the end you are still making out with something. I’ve only ever used EWBF so I can’t compare other mining apps. If one does yield more shares then I would consider switching, but that’s a long shot.

Article here from Forbes Magazine stating that AMD threadRipper is as profitable as a GTX 1080, and that they are in stock!

I see multi cpu AMD boards for mining coming soon!

I’ve wanted a ThreadRipper for a while now for my server farm. I would love to bench mark it personally a mining rig. If I could get around $100 a month from that, it would be good investment.

My next thought would be on how to do distributed computing with 10 of them to start.

100$ a month profit (included electricity) for a 1080 is pretty exagerated!
And 1300H with cryptonight would bring in 50$ (without paying electricity) would be more than major profit calculators.

This article is sooo misleading and who wrote it has no experience what so ever with mining.

I’ve mentioned it before but I wanted to give an update on wholesale prices of cards and inventory. I am now seeing 1080 TI’s being sold for >$1,000 wholesale. You can still “order” cards for less than a $1,000 but I suspect prices will increase before delivery in April or May. PNY is leading the charge with price increases. They used to be the cheap cards, now they are the most expensive.

Prices for 1070’s and 1070 TI’s are creeping into the $600 range for wholesale prices. And lead times are “advertised” as a couple of weeks but my order has already been pushed back a week twice so I suspect it would be several more times it gets pushed back. Also, one model has an advertised delivery of 2/28 for 40 cards, but there is a backorder of 3246 more cards. I suspect that the most recent order, if not cancelled, will not be fulfilled this year. :frowning:

1 Like

I just ordered cards for my farm a couple days ago… I got zotac 1080 ti’s for $783.09 per card didn’t think it was too bad of a deal so i scooped them up then went on the website the next day and what i just ordered was placed on there website as do not order currently unavailable so guess i lucked out there…

If the shortage of 1000 series cards is due to Nvidia ramping up production of the 2000 series, that would make sense. I would shell out the cash for a 2000 series and use funds to pick up used higher end 1000 series cards.

I’m still watching and picking up lower end 1050ti and 1060 cards when the price is right. Got a 1060 today for $279. Thought that was still a little high for the 3GB version, but it was Gigabyte G1 edition, so I said why not. Every little sol/s helps to lower my time to produce 1 ZEC.

1 Like

So I went out and bought a 1070TI and a Ryzen Threadripper 1900x 8 core (X399 Aorus gaming 7 mobo) just to test this… Figured a 1070 Ti is almost a 1080, so lets see!!

Disclaimer - the article is about a 1950x,all could afford was a 1900x

well… here are two pic’s, first one is after 5 minutes running , the second is 5 minutes later (taken on Feb. 5, 2018)

Good thing I posted it in the speculation section of mining

Can you show us how much you would make a day running CryptoNight on the GPU? I think we will see similar results on the GPU as CryptoNight is not very good with Nvidia GPUs.

What program is that BTW? I’d like a copy for myself.