Mining Speculation/Strategy

at these gpu prices and current crypto prices , it take over a year and a half just to break even .

only stupid one will buy at those prices if they are into crypto .

I managed to snag a bunch of gpu’s at $700. Newegg had Asus 1080 ti turbos for $709 for two weeks in Dec. I bought most of mine then. Nvidia also recently allowed backorders on founders editions for $700 and I had myself and my entire family order 2 each. They sold out quickly. I know, I’m sorry. But I’m not spending $1500 a gpu. My biggest problem atm is PSU’s are sold out almost entirely.

You’re bragging, but it’s ok… :slight_smile:

I use these PSU’s on my GTX1060 miners, and it’s a good unit. I’m thinking you’ll need two of them for a 1080ti mining PC:

You get 6, 6+2 PCIE connectors. They were 95 bucks yesterday, but it looks like the ***** raised the price again.

I’ve been having the same problems finding PSUs. For the current price I think it’s worth it. I’m like you and only running 1060s at the moment.

So we speculate about gpu price now eh

1 Like

Let’s take the quote and go back in time 12 months. in January of 2017, GPUs were USD 450.00+ for AMD R9's and 1060's with price of Zec from 30.00 to 52.00 and an ROI of 9 to 11 months.
At that time you were “stupid” for spending 450.00 on a GPU that has an ROI of 9 to 11 months, oh and btw this is a fad, a bubble, this is going to fail and be left with a GPU you can’t resell.

Glad I went with my gut and didn’t listen to them, my ROI was 75 to 90 days

Here is a question for you, how many coins are you earning by not having the GPU?
@ current pricing (419) a 1080ti is about $6.00 USD a day (NiceHash). So a $1500.00 1080ti ROI is 8 to 9 months. That ROI sounds familiar?

Think about the ROI when the price goes back to 700+ USD per Zcash

Well, the title does say Price Speculation (and you do buy GPUs in the open and black market)

1 Like

There is a mining speculation thread that I started a while back. Nobody seems to be commenting in it.

450 price of gtx 1060 divide on 40 usdzec (average) = 11.25 zec

gtx 1060 gives currently 0.3 zec per month , assuming difficulty was lower and it was bringing even double that which means 0.6 zec a month .
thats 7.5 zec a year . ( not counting electricity or rig or management or any risk of failure and assuming it was still bringing 0.6 till now :wink: )

so in short clear mathematical answer . buying that time brings double the profit no question on that ! . buying then was smart move . mining was not smart move period.

and yes its complete stupidity if any one buys 1060 at 1000 USD price that well net him 0.3 zec per month ( again without electricity or rig or management or any risk of failure ) which equals 3.6 zec in a year . and again not counting difficulty rise which I am sure this card will not bring more than 2.5 zec if any one started mining now till the end of the year .

so , if whomever willing to invest in crypto now , the short answer is : better to buy now crypto rather than mining .

1 Like

You forgot to include “insurance” if the rig overheats

good math, except you forgot to account that the miners we used then were not as efficient then as they are now. You were getting the same 0.3 a month

which even highlights more that buying is better than mining in this kind of situations .

I agree, if I had took that 3400.00 and used it to buy Zcash instead of mine it, I would have made $65k to $80k. in fact every single cryptocurrency, if you would have bought it in 01/17 you would have made a lot of $$ compared to mining.
If I had done that though, I would not know what I now know, and I would have deprived you guys of getting to know me, and I have a new hobby!

2 Likes

I think, though, that comparing 2018 to 2017 has its problems. I don’t think we will have the astronomical growth we, cryptoworld, had in 2017 in 2018. As the radio commercials are saying, “the quick money in crypto has come and gone.” Yes, you “could” make a ton of money if you place your money on the right new coin(s).

However, this is the way I think of it. I have $6,000 to invest in crypto. Invest in crypto or invest in a mining rig? If you invested in ZCash at today’s price you would roughly get 12 ZEC if you bought the coin. If you truly believe in ZEC you will HODL. No trading up for more coin.

Now, invest $6,000 in a rig. Say on average you mine 1.5 coin per month. At the end of month 8 you will have 12 ZEC. At the end of month 12 you will have 18 ZEC. If you bought coins and HODL’d you would still have 12 ZEC. 18>12. Even if you had to sell some to pay your costs - electricity et al - at the end of 1 year you would still have more than the “investor.” Now, go into year 2. Year 3. IMO, mining is the long game.

And don’t forget, if ZEC were to go bust I still have my rig and can either sell it or move onto another coin. The investor has to take his diminished funds and hopes he finds the next big thing to recoup his losses.

2 Likes

@Morinic Agree 100%, but keep in mind not everyone has the time or knowledge to mine. Those of us that do have a leg up on the actual investors imo

1 Like

You can also build momentum like I have been doing. I was at a point where the price was high enough to purchase more cards. When you add more cards you increase your output, but you also increase your overall electrical spend. When the price is high, it doesn’t matter.

Right now, you can’t do that due to a shortage of cards. The price still makes expansion worthwhile.

gtx 1080 ti now price around 1400 .
6000 USD gets 4 of them and remaining will go for PSU ,motherboard ,risers ,processor ,ram ,rig

will net around 2700 hashrate which will get 1.1 zec monthly . and in a year time with difficulty increasing I doubt it will continue getting 1.1 zec monthly .

I have 2400 hash rate rig gets me barely 1zec monthly .

so, 6000 USD buys now at 460USD price 13 zec
and the rig will barley get 12 zec in a year .
*not counting electricity cost , which can reach up to 2 zec . which means the rig net is only 10 zec in a year.
*not counting work - time consumed - risk of failure of anything including risers .

now lets take two types of investors .
very conservative one with no investing background:
will opt in for mining for only one reason , if prices crash or anything goes very wrong . he will have hardware thinking that he will try to sell and lose probably 20-30% on his initial investments. but actually the GPUs prices are inflated to almost double because of crypto boom . which in reality if something goes wrong the loss will be closer to 50-60% might be more . because new GPUs prices will return to normal “half price of current rates”

second type .

buys now 13 zec at current price .

and hold till either risk 50%-60% to exit ( price drop ) . " some might hold and not care of risk of ruin "

and in his mind , due to volatility in this market he can actually get all his money out in a month or two if prices just went up to previous achieved highs , IE closer to 800USD . by selling half of it and forgetting the rest for long term investment . which is not unrealistic at all .
this way he got his money back , plus he has 6 zec for free , and if he would like to reinvest in mining he can still invest back into a rig later with the gained 6000 USD . and most probably GPU prices then will be better and might have new volta GPUs . more over it might happen before 6 months passes and he will have a way better lead than the miner , who can only get around 10 zec in a year.

so my sole opinion . I would take the second choice at current prices of zec and gpu .

if the gtx 1080 ti was selling around 700USD then its a different story .

802.60CHF for a ASUS GTX1080TI-FE Founders Edition in switzerland
equal 833USD right now.

if gtx 1080ti at 850 USD then mining is better . with 6000 you can build a rig with 6 of them will get almost 2zec monthly

I am in austria now " next to switzerland " and I need one and I can’t find anything good here less than 1000 euro .

I dont want founder edition .

I want evga sc1,sc2 or asus rog oc