Mining Speculation/Strategy

That’s how I’ve built the bulk of my business. I invested in 3 rigs with my own money last year and now only use the ZEC I accumulate to pay for expenses. I’m building a new rig right now that was payed for completely with mining profits.

Those 3 rigs have long been payed for BTW.

Sure understand that. ROI is hard to know. My main issue is the used equipment. Stuff I used I know the clocks, I know the temps, I know how often I give them a dusting. I also have original receipts and warranties. Not all companies might take a warranty when transferred to a 2nd or 3rd owner.
So yes paying over msrp for new stuff might be ok for some. Paying way over msrp for used in this market is just silly imho.
I think a lot of people who bought high priced cards on credit are feeling the pain. If this keeps Up for a few months and 20xx cards come out, look out below on the used card market.

Just checked Ebay and was looking at 1060 GTX 3GB cards. I bought one for $279 new yesterday and am seeing used ones for $240. I would give them maybe $200 at the most. Speaking from experience I have sold a few used cards for near retail in the past. Regret doing that now, but oh well.

You are right about warranties. I’ve warrantied Zotac cards in the past and they want mounds of paperwork as proof that you were the original owner.

The first sign that equihash AISICs are already on the way to the store near you too :wink:

Given Flypool’s overall hash rate I wouldn’t be shocked if someone was pointing an ASIC at it right now as a test. If I had the resources to build an ASIC that is the first thing I would do. Have to recupe the cost somehow. What better than using what it was intended for.

It will be years before an equihash ASIC becomes cost effective for the average person. I could see the large mining operations buying them first.

For all we know, Overwinter or Sapling could kill ASICs for ZCash.

did someone saw the poor amount of mined blocks on all pools on saturday?

According to anonymous sources, Nvidia will be delivering the GPU and memory to its partners around June 15, pointing to a July launch for the Founder’s Edition.

As well as launching the GTX 1180, there’s also likely to be a GTX 1170 Founder’s Edition as well, with the GTX 1180 being the flagship, and the GTX 1170 being a more affordable GPU.

This follows rumors that suggest that the GeForce GTX 1180 could be faster than a Titan Xp, which is currently Nvidia’s most powerful consumer GPU.

The GTX 1180 will apparently run with 3,584 CUDA cores, compared to the GTX 1080’s 2,560, with 224 TMUs (versus 160 Texture Mapping Units on the 1080) and is built on a 12nm process (as opposed to 16nm).

It packs double the video RAM compared to the GTX 1080, with 16GB of faster GDDR6 memory, and the new card has a rated peak FP32 performance of around 13 teraflops.

link to article

1 Like

Need to be careful about any “leaked” information on the 1100 series. There was an April Fools “leak” about them that all the legitimate tech news outlets ran with and it ended up being complete B.S. (best April Fool 2018 IMO). This has been followed by several other fake “leaks”.

If it is real information, that’s kind of a disappointing improvement (not that anyone mines with standard 1080s anyway). The current 1080 Ti is 3,584 CUDA cores…the exact same being quoted for 1180 there. That raises an eye-brow for me unless it’s a natural step up number (like doubling ram) that the next up card would get to.

The sounds of it though are that these are no faster than the current leading cards. A little cheaper to buy and lower power means lower capital to invest but no increase in revenue.

And also a moot point with the ASICs coming out.

1 Like

Yeah I wouldn’t buy any new GPU’s for mining until we see what happens the next few months. The 1180 is only a bit faster than a 1080TI it sounds like and it will probably be $700 or more at launch.

They need to release a card that is a consumer version of the the Titan V. If the 1180 only has 3584, then the 1180ti needs to have 5120 like the Titan V.

Nvidia CEO: No next-gen GeForce GPUs for a 'long time

Well those of you waiting for the next gen gpu, the wait is now even longer
Click me for the article

Good news if true. Rumor sites are saying there are already specs and launch is before September.

I think this delay has to do with the memory manufacturers manipulating the market in their favor. It’s going to be another 6 months before the current cards drop back to what they were in November of last year. It also gives the little guy time to buy more of the 10 series.

I don’t believe that is the reason. AMD Navi won’t be out until some time next year and Nvidia already has the lead in performance so they will wait to see how good Navi is and then try to beat it with Volta. This is good for us current miners since our resale value will stay up until at least next spring and the GPU-only mineable coins’ difficulty won’t increase very much until then.

Just got an email from Nvidia to pre-order the next generation of graphics cards. The RTX 2080 FE is retailing for $799. Now I just need to scrape the cash together to buy one. The RTX 2070 is already sold out. I’m going to sign up to be notified when the 2070 comes back into stock.