Miner- Claymore's Zcash Miner

@cryptomined thanks.

Ijust cant get anywhere near the power savings in linux that I do in windows with powertune. when I undervolt core and mem, I can see it shave some watts, but nothing like windows using powertune.

Does anyone have experience with changing TDP (w) TDC (a) and Max Power Limit (w)??

I tried to lower them, but it doesnt seem to do anything… on a MSI rx470 bios (v213) I tried

TDP was 85, now 70
TDC was 107, now 99
Max (w) was 110, now 100

Do I need to go lower?

Hi guys,
I’m struggling like hell with stabilizing this miner. I use Windows 10 with Crimson 15.12 . The rig has 6 x HD7970 , 3 GB RAM, and dual core intel celeron. So far i managed to mine with 4 of the 6 GPUs.
I tried with Claymore v10, v11, and v11.1. On all versions if i add the 5th card, one of the cards hangs in OpenCL call and Claymore restarts itself. For a short time before crashing , that GPU appears with 0.00 H/s. i tried every possible combination between the 7 PCIe slots on the mobo and i concluded it’s nothing wrong with any of them or with any of the GPUs . I also uninstalled the driver with DDU and reinstalled several times but to no avail…
Also when one of the GPUs hangs , the driver crashes and a message informing about the crash pops up in the right (AMD driver has stopped and recovered or something like that …).
Moreover, sometimes when i add the 5th or 6th GPU the windows crashes (BSOD with atikmdag.sys).
I decided to move on Linux maybe it will be more stable.
What distro do you suggest given my hardware? Please help ! And share your experiences :slight_smile:

Ubuntu 14.04.3 (the latest you can get and retain the fglrx (15.302) drivers). That’s what I’m running. Also, I have a few cards that will choke/hang occasionally unless I lower the default/auto intensity on the command line to “-i 3”.

yeah from what I read its a pain in the butt, and im not even really sure how to undervolt properly in linux
need to patch the linux 4.8 or 4.9 kernel… then change a bunch of settings in amd overdrive or something

heh… i dont even think im using 4.8 or 4.9 kernel so I just forgot about it…

just updated my boxes to claymore 11.1 linux - the GPU’s are stock, no modifications
R9 Fury gets 420 H/s
RX480 8G gets 260 H/s

R9 Fury:
Imgur

RX480:
Imgur

have you found any way to undervolt on linux ? this is my main concern not the speeds! On win i have -130mv the 480 and oc from 1750 to 2200 100% mining stable…i wonder if this could be possible on linux. I am using trixx for undervolting if anyone wants to try!

Sorry, I have not tried undervolting the GPU’s. Does it end up using a lot less electricity? Enough to make up for possibly voiding the warranty and not being able to replace it during the 2 year warranty period?

I use Ubuntu 16.04 with latest amdgpu-pro drivers. I build it to run headless and unattended. Here’s a complete build how-to I wrote up:

Moded 8gb 480s eat around 110-120W, and do 270-280Sols/s, on windows. On Linux i’ve seen them do more with Optiminer.
Waranty will be voided if you change your BIOS, but hey everyones doing it and nobody got caught… yet.

stock power usage is about 150W. A 30 watt power savings is about 2 kwhr per month, or $0.20. If I had 100 cards, that would be $20 savings per month, or $240 per year.

How long does it take to modify the BIOS, and how easy is it to do without breaking the GPU? 1 broken card not replaced by warranty out of 100 means it wouldn’t save me anything at all.

Also, I ran the numbers on whether to use the Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury or the RX480 for Zcash mining, taking into account power, hash rate, and system cost. Fury comes out way ahead.

I only have HD7970 GPUs . Will it work on Ubuntu 16.04.01 with 15.302 drivers ?

I don’t know about that. You probably need to use Ubuntu 15.04 with the fglrx drivers.
See AMD linux driver list per card:

Ubuntu 16.04 works best with the AMD GPUPRO drivers. This page shows that cards that are supported by AMD driver version 16.50

According to this Ubuntu page, the HD7970 is based on the Tahiti chip, and it is supported by Ubuntu 16.04 and later operating systems. You should be able to use it right out of the box, possibly without installing any drivers at all.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

im doing around 500 with my 7990, 15.12. win 10

1 Like

I didnt change the bios just with TRIXX tool i reduced the voltage, it doesnt break the guarantee!!!

ok, I’ll check into that. Just switched one of my boxes to optiminer 1.4 also.

Optiminer v1.5 just came out.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up - just switched to it. And figured out how to turn up the intensity to 7. on ubuntu 16.04 with AMD 16.50 drivers. With stock BIOS on GPU’s: after increasing intensity to -i 7
RX480-8G - 290 S/s
Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury - 440 S/s

I also added a howto on my website for building it

Hi Mastercarlox
what settings have you got for your cards?
I’ve overclocked mine to 1000 but just getting 233
I have 15.12 drivers ?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi.

Stock BIOS, 1100/1500. 1.2V. Power Limit +20%.
Crimson Relive 16.12.1

And in the bat file i have this:

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
set GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
set GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
set GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
set GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

ZecMiner64.exe -zpool ssl://us1-zcash.flypool.org:3443 -zwal t1RdJ5aFaHAunBsbhTY8BWUD8ysFZLT4RaZ.GPU -zpsw x -allpools 1 -i 8 -r 50

2 Likes