Let’s talk about ASIC mining

There is NO such thing as Consumer Grade GPU’s/CPU’s/FPGA’s/ASIC’s or Memory, there is only silicon wafer fabrication processes. All integrated circuits from the same fabrication process have the same quality and reliability.

As described in the post:

Todays process are better than this.

But than again, your car doesn’t hava a failure rate of 50% for 100 years, right? :thinking::roll_eyes:

This has been covered before in this thread.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING as consumer grade integrated circuits. There is ONLY Silicon wafer fabrication processes from various wafer foundries around the world.

Failure analysis is done on the silicon wafer fabrication process not the specific electronic design. Digital integrated circuits on the same fabrication process ARE BASICALLY THE SAME from a reliability standpoint.

There is NO difference between an Nvidia GPU and a Innosilicon ASIC from a quality or reliability standpoint.

• BItmain has their ASIC’s fabed by TSMC, GlobalFoundaries, and Samsung
  • Innosilicon uses SMIC, GlobalFoundaries, and TSMC
  • Nvidia has their GPU’s fabed by TSMC and Samsung
  • AMD uses GlobalFoundaries and TSMC

I hope it is obvious that electro mechanical components have a completely different failure mechanism, such as fans. Hence these components require a preventative maintenance schedule to address their different failure profile.

2 Likes

Nvidia GPU’s are rated at 105c maximum temperature. It is very difficult to reach the junction temperature limit on a modern IC (but not impossible). Most burn in is done at elevated temperatures for this reason.

MIL-STD-883 “Test Methods and Procedures for Microelectronics”. Burn-in time and temperature may vary but burn-in temperature is normally 125C with an initial burn-in time of 168 hours.

2 Likes

A car is a mechanical device and does not have the same failure mechanisms as IC’s, so not an apples to apples comparison.

However, for the sake of your argument, your computer, TV, cell phone, and just about every other electronic device you own has had highly accelerated stress testing, that can simulate years of use. This is done primarily with significantly elevated operational temperatures (as well as temp cycling, humidity, bias, and shock).

So YES, your cell phone had 10K miles on it when you bought it.

2 Likes

Maybe not but out of the 200 gpu’s I have right now. 100 gpu’s have run non stop for 1 year and 2 months with no failures or dead fans! Now for the other 100 gpu’s. 50 of them right now have 6 months on them running non stop with no failures or dead fans! The last 50 gpu’s I have been running non stop for the last 2 1/2 months with no failure or dead fans! I did get one card used with a broken fan blade. And I replaced that but that wasn’t a dead fan. All my cards are Overclocked. I have heard of some miners out there killing cards by overclocking to high. But I have never had that problem. The big trick is air flow and lot’s of it.

2 Likes

Like your all other conclusion you are totally wrong.
I have ATI 6870 that worked 6 years 24/7 mining …none died …just few months ago i turn them off when they finally became unprofitable thanks to this ASIC thing …they mined everything from BTC,LTC,DASH (then dark coin) and then Zcash from second days off its egistens to like i sad few months ago.
Only GPU that ever died was some zotac 1060 with just one fan…it died after just month but it was just poor cheap built…all other GPUs had 0 problems.

If you had 4 1080ti died then you knowledge off computer hardware is very poor …it just takes to blow dust one in 6 months and that is it…also keep at 90% TDP…you dont lose any hash rate and you power is better and fans run in almost totally silent…for ETH most my cards work at just 55-60% TDP…and work in total silence.

1 Like

I find it ironic that when when 50 year old accepted scientific FACTS are presented in this thread… two things happen:

• A few people who know something relevant speak up
  • Many people who do NOT know something relevant speak up

So what does that say about the credibility of this thread???

1 Like

No one is able to speak unless he holds the coconut of power?

It’s an open forum, and it’s here to discuss certain topics whether you are a PRO or a complete rookie. Even we encounter loads of baloney there are still some ppl with a huge pool of knowledge, I personally stick to these contributions.

Strange everybody here says that they NEVER EVER had failures with GPUs, makes me wonder how they don’t give 10 years guarantees, lol.

• from ASUS RMA procedure: “Please be advised if the unit is used for crypto currency mining this will void the warranty.”

• from EVGA support: We do guarantee the functionality of the cards for the 3 year warranty. Obviously running the cards 24/7 will put the cards under more stress, and might lower the lifespan of the cards.

• Inno3D sticker: This product is not designed for Crypto Mining. We reserve the right to void the warranty if there is any damage associated with this application

just some examples. So now i wonder, after there are NO issues running gpu’s 24/7 why are all producers voiding or limiting guarantee for crypto mining?

The answer is just simple, most here are just not honest enough to admit whatever if it would hurt their main argument and agenda, be it anti-asic or pro-asic. 100’s of GPU’s and nobody a failure, lol. Joke of they day.
This topic, expect maybe some 100 posts with facts, charts, stats, real arguments, all together out of 4512, by now degraded into a wild west joke. If there wasn’t that science approach by ZC93 with some facts and good explainations it isn’t even worth answering/commenting anymore…

2 Likes

GPYs have 3 year warranty …on one that failed to me i got money return in full…ASIC have only 6 month warranty …and if you overclock them you are out warranty and they are clock very low so everyone clock them so ASIC basically dont have any warranty.

I can overclock GPU any how i want…still have warranty.
And if you want to back ASIC you need to send all way to China … GPU problem i just return to shop 2 minutes off drive from my house.

So it cant even compare…maybe who have 100 000$ to invest he dont care about warranty off ASIC but for me and most people even 1000$ is big money and ASIC is just huge risk witch even i am miner for 6 year i am not willing to take…and 99% off people want.

2 Likes

You know how many fools jump into mining with gpu’s and know nothing about computers and don’t really care only about profit and if that means overclocking gpu’s to far so be it. By the way out of the 4512 post 611 are your’s and your mighty then tho and your never wrong!!! I try to be nice but you called me a lair.

2 Likes

In many ways, traditional use of GPUs (e.g., frequent, rapid changes in load and the thermal stresses that result, especially at soldered junctions) is much more taxing on a card than a mining profile in which a near constant load is applied and temperatures vary more gradually over a narrower range. The same applies to the fans which spin up and down across a range of 1000s of RPM hundreds of times in a lengthy gaming section. That is much harder on the bearings than running at one speed for months.

3 Likes

200 GPU’s and no faulty ones? 100% legit /s

I’ve bought around 100 GPU’s and had issues with at least 5% of them.

To share an example: I bought 12x 1080ti AORUS from massdrop, 2 of them had faulty fans and 4 of them are running at 3-4% less hashrate than average. All of them have different power draw but the rig is stable and has been running for a year without interruptions.

AMD cards are even worst and have much more maintenance and higher/more delicate overclock settings. My AMD rigs have never been stable and I reboot them regularly every week. The difference in power draw and hashrate is much more crazier: i’ve got rx570’s mining @ 31 Mh/s with 110W and 580’s @30 Mh/s with 180W.

I can say all my cards are running stable and I don’t have issues, but that wouldn’t be true. Anyone claiming having 200 GPU with no defects is unrealistic.

In your dreams! MINING voids the warranty.
So if you feel good with yourself lying that’s your own business.
If you mine the first day your warranty is of 0 days in comparison of the 6 months ASIC manufactuers offer (and deliver in reasonable times).

6 years mining what with what? Share your bitcointalk profile or this is FAKE NEWS.

Too much bla bla in here.

1 Like

Not quite, there is a big difference between stress testing prototypes for resilience and selling the stress tested protoypes to the public. Beyond power cycle bench testing on your device or a quick drive for less than 3 miles at a auto factory the product/car delivered to the end does not have the equivalent of the prototypes hours on it.

There is a reason Nvidia doesn’t sell the manufacturer GPU prototypes to the public, and companies like GM are required by law to crush the road test vehicles: because they are worn out and not suitable for public consumption.

1 Like

150 of the 200 are used cards from gamer’s, Craigslist and very little from ebay.! The remaining are new that I got about 3 months ago. No GTX 1080 ti’s. Just GTX 1060 6gb’s and GTX 1070’s. I don’t use windows for a OS. Just SMOS. During the summer months they hit 55c. And during the Winter I have seen some of them drop down to about 35c. Managing airflow is your biggest friend. And I clean them every 2 weeks.

So you are accusing me off lying just because it does not fit your ASIC propaganda??

This is my bitcointalk profile

But i use mostly on Serbian forum for crypto Kriptovalute | Benchmark Forum

Second…At least in my country ( i did not buy in some other country)
its 3 YEAR WARRANTY…it DOES NOT MATTER if you mined or NOT …you can only be denied if there is physical damage …i am years on crypto forum in Serbia and no single person ever sad that they were denied warranty because off mining.

Also how can you know if card was used for gaming or mining…if that person dont tell you…no one cant know…GPU does not store in memory what was it running.
Also GPUs are much better mining then gaming because they are on open space and have 100 times better ventilation then in closed PC cases where heat from GPU is mostly trap inside off PC case.

Also GPUs are for years very well build and only way you can kill them is with bad PSU that dont give proper voltage for longer time (or badly connected) or fans that are left with out some dust treatment (i blow them every 6 months)

2 Likes

No ASIC propaganda, just a miner.

Yeah, that’s shady.

Can you back up your information with some real data?

Also I can say that in Switzerland no one had problems with warranty but that doesn’t suggest that 100% are honest about their acts.

If you can prove me with a document or a link that in serbia mining will not void warranty of GPU’s then you are all set and 100% trustworthy, if you are on the side of “oh, I used my GPU only for gaming” for making your “warranty work” than you are a dishonest person and highly unprofessional.

I’ve got a registered company and offer cloud mining contracts so warranty is a serious issue for me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m an appassionate GPU miner and would prefer a world where PoW was fair and equal for everyone, but hey, capitalism (aka we don’t make the rules).

1 Like

You do realize that warranties are not the same in different countries? Like in the USA the warranties are 3 years for most graphic cards. But most other countries there more or less.

In any country you’ve right not to tell how you’ve used it at all. Silence is not lie. As I know only Inno3D stated that mining voids their warranty but I’am pretty sure that it’s illegal in some countries and it’s possible to sue them about it but it’s not economically effective to hire lawyers for it. It’s easier just to bring GPU to the shop where you’ve bought it not saying details.