Let’s talk about ASIC mining

Posting flame bait comments doesn’t bring anything to the conversation @amanalar. Asus does not own, or operate mining farms. They make/made far too much money selling the “Pick Axes” and “Shovels” (Motherboards and GPUs) to bother with starting their own mining operation. The same goes for chipset makers AMD and Nvidia. They don’t have a vested interest in the mining scene…but that is not the case with “some”, maybe all, of the ASIC manufacturers.

1 Like

you could swap “asus” with bitmain inno amd intel dell any boogie man thats fotm,

tilt detected, im evacuating now.

Sigh my statement would apply as well to Intel, Dell, or any other CPU or System Manufacturer (IE off the shelf computer manufacturer). Trying to muddy the discussion by asserting the PC manufacturers and/or the GPU/CPU manufacturers are “doing the same” is ridiculous when it is well known that is flatly not true.

the discussion has been muddy for a few months now brother, le sigh…

I’d like to add something new to this discussion, let’s talk about QA (Quality Assurance). I’ve never had a single GPU die on me and that’s with me operating a small GPU farm since 2016. The only issue I ever had was one fan on one RX 480 stopped spinning, but that was only after a few years, and even then the card still functions without the one fan.

In contrast, I recently ordered a few A9’s from Innosilicon, and one was DOA. Another unit in the same shipment had one faulty hashboard so it’s only mining at 2/3 speed. Even if Innosilicon manage to replace the defective unit, the turnaround time shipping back and forth to Hong Kong will assure that unit in particular will likely never see any ROI. This is definitely one of the biggest strikes against ASICs, but people don’t mention it enough.

2 Likes

This probably happens because Innosilicon pre-mines the machines they sell. Bitmain has stated (not 3rd-party confirmed) that they don’t premine.

That said, GPUs do last longer. It is definitely a greater risk to mine with an ASIC.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if Innosilicon sent you the ASICs because they were defective. It’s not like you can get a refund or anything. They don’t need customer service either when they have a 1,000% profit margin on their products.

1 Like

GPU manufacturers are, in general, consumer facing. Their warranties have to mean something. Their repair and replacement departments have to perform. There is so much competition that a bad reputation will put them out of business over time. A consumer product manufacturer has to have minimum quality levels as well for the same reasons.

3 Likes

Now China is adding a 25% tariff on electronics in this new “trade war”, Aug 23 2018. Another reason ASICs are currently bad for the network. This is just giving people in China a even bigger part of the pie.

ROI on ASICs just got worse, when it gets to low who is even gonna buy them to secure the network?

tariffs

Bitmain asic based miners arent shipped under those codes.
I beleive mine was admitted with just a six digit code 8471 41

This is contradictory to known quality assurance practices of electronic devices.

Burn in, stress screening, highly accelerated stress screening (HASS) have been used in manufacturing engineering for decades to eliminate infant mortality from products. The process of burn in (pre-mined) if you prefer, increase reliability, not the other way around.

Even with the complete absence of QA design control and testing, reasonably safe to assume for all ASIC manufacturers. Any form of burn in testing will statistically improve reliability for even a poorly designed product.

2 Likes

Indeed. My company stresses units in temperature chambers for multiple days before shipment. It really shakes out the infant failures.

1 Like

I would prefer to either A) receive the profits from the pre-mine or B) not have any pre-mine at all. Without pre-mine there is a good chance that the working device (good apple) will last longer.

A pre-mine is great for the organization, lessening QA issues and making up costs before the sale, but it’s bad for the miner trying to maximize profits with a chance of increased longevity.

There is also a difference between ‘burn in testing’ and pre-mining for 6-8 months. The latter would cause stress beyond quality control and would reduce the life of the miner.

Days, not months. Big difference.

true. I do not consider months of usage to be “Stess testing” or “break in”.

1 Like

Off every $ invested in crypto 80% will end up in Bitmain pocket one way or another.

In February 2018, Bitmain reportedly held 70-80 percent of the global market for Bitcoin mining hardware, and posted between $3 and $4 billion in operating profits in 2017 — higher than American graphics processing unit (GPU) manufacturer Nvidia.

At the end of July, Fortune reported that Bitmain earned around $1 billion in net profit for the first quarter of 2018,"

Just yesterday, Bitmain revealed it will construct a $500 million mining facility in Texas as part of its expansion into the U.S. market, hoping to initiate the center’s operations by early 2019.

1 Like

You should be mad at all the shady bitcoin-tether pump-and-dump groups that manipulated the price last year because without them bitmains incredible figures would not exist, no way

3 Likes

Relevant to this thread, please discuss there:

1 Like

“An investor prospectus for the IPO proves exactly how significant Bitmain’s mining business has been. Last year, Bitmain machines accounted for 66.6 percent of the total mining volume and Bitmain-run cryptocurrency mining pools covered 40 percent of the total mining network.”

So one company mines 40% off all bitcoins…and on other coins is probably much more …with big their mining expansion they will have more then 50% mined bitcoin in house…whole crypto will be owned by them .
And i am not mad at them…they want money …always more money…that how big companies work…but i am mad at crypto world…which surrendered to bitmain with our shot fired and even brainwash other how that is good…how centralisation is good even crypto first and most valuable promise was decentralisation.

I agree, but they could test it on the testnet, or their own internal testnet. There is no reason to test on the mainnet.