Let’s talk about ASIC mining

As mention many times before that many here love the Asic’s.

1 Like

For the Equihash ASICs, I don’t think it’s likely that Bitmain is mining on the ASICs they are planning to deliver to customers. If they were mining on them, then the difficulty would likely be higher and they couldn’t sell them for as high a price. I have some suspicions about the X11, Sha-256, and Scrypt ASICs because the network hashrates for the major coins are discordant with the hashrates of publicly available hardware.

But whether Bitmain sells used hardware or not is beside the point. ASICs are a threat to the network, and Zcash should change the Equihash parameters to protect the network.

2 Likes

Zcash (ZEC)

1. zcash.flypool.org
    219.15 MSol/s

2. zec.nanopool.orgPPLNS
    1 %
    51.85 MSol/s

3. zcash.miningpoolhub.com
    34.83 MSol/s

4. www.f2pool.com
    5 %
    28.77 MSol/s

5. zec.suprnova.cc
    5.55 MSol/s

6. dwarfpool.com
    3.66 MSol/s

7. www2.coinmine.pl
    1 %
    2.65 MSol/s

8. zec.waterhole.io
    1.64 MSol/s

9. pool.viabtc.comPPS+
    4 %
    1.33 MSol/s

10. zec.2miners.com
    1.03 MSol/s

11. antpool.comPPS
    5 %
    1.00 MSol/s

12. www.coinotron.com
    670.70 KSol/s

13. minergate.com
    1 %
    307.15 KSol/s

14. coinfoundry.org
    0.75 %
    13.53 KSol/s

15. zec.pool.sexy
    2.85 KSol/s

16. solo-zec.altpool.pro
    2.20 KSol/s

17. Unknown
    252.12 MSol/s

Unknown pool has already more hashrate then flypool on Zcash…and is close to 51%

1 Like

With regard to paragraph 3
My miners are working on the pool zcash.miningpoolhub.com and I’m sure that the real situation is different:
34 - 36 MSol/s - this is the hash power on port 20570
17 - 44 MSol/s - hash power on port “Algo switch mining”
As a result, the amount is from time to time jumps up to 78 - 80 MSol/s

I hope my information will allow you to more thoroughly conduct your research. Or at least not make hasty conclusions :wink:

It’s the secret Innosilicon pool, about 90% sure, 10% go for the Asicminer 50k produced by Asicminer that it’s theirs…

That’s one of the outcomes when we ask for competition. The major concern over 3350 posts was that bitmain will have the biggest hashrate shares, so everybody now should be more than satisfied that this obviously did not happen…

Sidenote: While still everybody is beating on Bitmain i wonder why the new major player
(Innosilicon) in the Zcash Hashrate distribution gets away without a single post about future 51% attack fear and similars?? Really strange how everybody was beating on Bitmain with far less than 10%, but 1/3 or more by Innosilicon doesn’t seem to be a problem … Englighten me what i miss??

1 Like

Probably because there is no real difference between Bitmain, Innosilicon, etc. and everybody are tired of pointless posting on this subject. There is no difference who of manufacturers/farmers has the majority of shares, even if they are split between 2-4 major players it still means the current community is out of game.

2 Likes

The major concern was that people, who invested money and their time in ZEC with GPU rigs now kicked out by ASICs and devs ok with it

3 Likes

Really? That was the major concern that I saw.

“we don’t want bitmain controlling everything, selling used hardware, too expensive”

All of that is now disproven.

Bitmain doesn’t control everything they have competition in the space.

Jihan Wu already said they don’t mine with retail hardware.

It’s now $850

1 Like

1.) I know very well that this was the main reason and that all that decentralisation/competition talk was just pushed in front of it.

2.) No miner invested into ZEC with his hardware, neither with it’s time. We all invest(ed) in our very own business. It sounds good that miner invest in a given project with their hardware, but it’s not the case, never ever. Even that ZenCash CEO with his 600 rigs invested them into his business and not ZenCash …

Excuse me, the point keeps changing and it’s hard to keep up.

When we all said people are just worried about their GPU investment I was told I just don’t get it and I’m Blind or a schill or w/e else.

So I’m glad we’ve boiled it all the way down to, (being worried about GPU investment).

I suppose the song and dance of 3300 posts was unavoidable, we could have done this at post #2 instead of piling on the mountain of FUD, speculation and wild guesses.

1 Like

Hashpower switching to more profitable coins at the moment. Just checked, a lot of coins are currently way more profitable than Zcash is … Just normal profit switching…

So they are the GPUs. I don’t see these jump in the ETH difficulties.

First of all, right now at the time of writing the ETH is the top profitable coin due whattomine. Second, they have huge hashrate and some minor fluctations won’t be seen like in lower hashrate networks … And 3rd, ETH favours AMD cards while Zcash favours Nvidia Cards anyway…

I was expecting a jump in the difficulty due to the ASICs but don’t see it yet.

There was and will be a difficulty increase for sure, but when their are more profitable coins the issue gets a bit “watered” right now, due the switching devices and compensate right now the difficulty increase

If you have invested a lot of money on new Equihash ASIC dump them now as Zcash will fork later this year, don’t think they are that stupid as insiders have hinted…also price of Bitmain Z9 was US$2000 now it is only US$850 in less than a month does this not prick your curiosity? you can’t be that narrow minded? Just recently another Equihash ASCI with greater than x5 power efficiency ratio compared to the just released Bitmain Z9? what else is out there? do you not see this is going nowhere and there as to be linear growth in hashrate for network security. This does not happen in Ethereum or Bitcoin, if it did they would fork intermediately as it would be a network security and stability issue.

1 Like

1.) Again, the investemend is into own business only.
2.) No, it doesn’t prick my curiousity as i have only 1x Z9mini as i saw it coming that more manufactures and models are entering the equihash space…
3.) You are wrong, it happens at Bitcoin of course, and most likely these weeks to Ethereum as well.
4.) The whole gpu/asic mining is flawed since moving away from cpu mining. Preparing another thread about it … I vote for POS from here.

Not sure why GPU owners are complaining. Buying GPUs means uncommitted to coin anyways. ASICs are probably more committed. I don’t have ASICs as it is too risky

Because ASIC are replacing GPUs …you want see much jump until they replace all GPUS…i mined Zcash since day 2 off Zcash …and stop mining it a weak ago…guess many people are doing the same because does not make sense any more to keep mining.

Its interesthing that Zcash is much newer coin then ETH and still ETH much more ASIC resistent.

2 Likes

NO…moving from CPU to GPU is not same like from GPU to ASIC…because CPU and GPU are hardware you can buy anywhere in the world and almost everyone have it and ASIC in just concentracion in few places.
And i still did not see POS coin that work …years before i invest in POS coin call Black Coin…and that did not go well for me …i lost almost all money.