Let’s talk about ASIC mining

Chiming into this thread to say what I think the Zcash Foundation’s role could be in this discussion. (In case you don’t know, the Zcash Foundation is an independent non-profit entity separate from the company, and we are having a general election in the next couple months home - zcash foundation ).

First, the Foundation’s mission includes helping the Zcash community to develop its voice. Therefore I think at a minimum we should include a ballot item in our election pertaining to ASIC resistance. It is not yet clear (to me anyway) whether this is as urgent of a problem or one of wide concern yet. Having a ballot measure can help frame that discussion.

Second, if technical ASIC resistance measures are what the community wants, then the Foundation could allocate technical resources to support the development of them. We don’t necessarily have to rely on Zooko or the company to do this. If more technical inputs (analysis, inputs from experts) are needed we can also try to provide them.

I’ve made an initial ballot measure proposal here, but it was done very quickly and could use input from you all:

Also note that the scope of this proposed ballot is deliberately limited and vague - it’s intended to gauge the community’s opinion on this problem and will determine whether the Foundation takes up this question as a priority. The proposed ballot is not for example, a vote on whether or not we should hardfork in a new proof of work.

7 Likes