Let’s talk about ASIC mining

Again, you took it out of context. So after you seem to have a problem following the posts/threads here again to what i actually answered:

To all Pro Asic people. Be very honest and NO BS! What would you do if you got your Z9 mini’s on June 20th. Then login and found out you could not mine Equihash at all. Be honest no BS.

On that i answered i would be forced to look for another coin.

So if you quote me, at least make it fair and objective, that’s the last thing someone can ask.

And NO, i’am NOT going where i make the most profit actually. Don’t copy on me how you run your rigs. Actually i have a totally different approach and i even mine coins that are not yet listed. And while you mostly go after whattomine i do daily my own research on coins and projects that are promising and investe into them, be it with mining or directly buying shares.

Actually with this sentence you outted yourself allready:

Zcash dropped in worth to 1.00 USD and Zencash or whatever coin you could mine was worth 15.00 USD you would still mine Zcash. I don’t see the difference.

You don’t see the difference because you are a short time daily profit oriented miner. Nothing bad actually with that as it’s up to everybodies own discretion how to run his mining operations.

But there are miners out, like myself, that are strong believers in given projects and for these the reward at the end is more important than your daily-whattomine-hourly-profit-switch-multi-algo option.

I get your point and i personally can agree to a lot of things, especially that there are as well loyal gpu miners, totally agree on that, but it’s a minority in my opinion, same mostly will the same with asic miners of course, no doubt here as well, but than again, with an asic you don’t have the freedom of the gpu switching through 79 algos and 963 coins … means no matter if it’s less or more profit you are stuck with that algo and have to support the coins algo network, period, there is no moving away…

I understand the the problem with zookos Asic resitance, but calling him a liar isn’t the right thing. I mean than back everybody thought that equihash is just an asic resistance algo, and than back that statement was true and i doubt that zooko at this time thought that 2 - 3 years later it would be an easy task for asics to get on equihash.

This said i totally understand the point of view from every gpu miner, but as the CEO of such a big multi million dollar project nowadays he as well has to adapt to changed envirement and check the possibilities and options in fully and not just emotional make a decision. He and the foundation could even come to the consensus that in 2019 the best would e POS, we don’t know. It could be 2 chains, we don’t know, it could be back to cpu mining, we don’t know, it could be indeed a final at some time asic resistant move, we don’t know again.

And if i remember right the foundation as well stays behind the research first and if i remember right ZenCash takes the same path, first researching and than acting. Seriously, i write this as a business owner, and not as an asic miner, moslty nobody will believe anyway with their blinkers on, but from a business CEO point of view it’s just logical first to make an analytical research and than a decision and not reverse. Sure, it’s easy to make a decision and than over time to analyze if it was the right one, but that’s not how successfull big businesses are run.

Someone else suggested allready that some experts for marketing, security, tech, whatever should be hired or having them inhouse. Makes perfect sense by the way and Zcash really should consider that if the main target is to get stay as a top 25 coin.

1 Like

A man is only good as his word! And if gpu miners had decided not to mine Zcash in the beginning. Zooko would have no Zcash!

2 Likes

You guys are still fighting back and forth. Leave the convo to devs and people with real input. Enough name calling and slandering. No matter what side of the fence your on. In the long run, Zooko said it best. ZCash is a fork feiendly coin, whoever “wins” great. The loser can fork zcash, andnit sounds like the name is trademarked. So…whoever owns that trademark gets the name.
IMO, Zcash will fork, unfortunately

While i agree to everything,
Why unfortunatly if they fork? I think that’s perfectly ok when and if the research shows and comes to the conclusion that this would be the best option for zcash. I can not see anything unfortunatly there.

I said “they” and it’s very clear in the context of the that posting “they” would be the other EquiHash coins.

Here is the link to the foundations current answer,

2 Likes

@chucky732 In the context of this thread, my opinions have shifted several times after listening to others and reading up on ASICs. To say that someone isn’t allowed to have their positions or priorities change after learning new information is unreasonable. Ideas and positions change with new information.

Equihash was thought to be ASIC-resistant. If the Zcash team would have immediately moved to change the parameters in the first week after ASICS were announced to calm GPU miners, that work would have been in vain. About a week ago we learned that a more-general ASIC could be quickly developed that would adapt to parameter changes with minimal performance loss. We can’t expect quick answers or quick declarations while the Zcash foundation figures out the best way forward. At this point we just have to be patient.

2 Likes

only because one guy from one good company says something (which he didn’t prove) doesn’t mean it’s reality.

The only way to actually find out is by phisically accessing these machines, which no one I know has…

In any case,
I personally prefer doing something that ends out useless then doing nothing…

which he didn’t prove

Although David Vorick does have some bias as the creator of Siacoin, his experience developing an ASIC for it does put him in a better position to say what is and isn’t possible.

From that article:

We’ve been pessimistic on ASIC resistance for a long time, and our journey into the hardware world solidly confirmed our position. Hardware is extremely flexible.

The vast majority of ASIC-resistant algorithms were designed by software engineers making assumptions about the limitations of custom hardware. These assumptions tend to be incorrect.

Equihash is perhaps the easiest target, as a lot of people were quite confident in the equihash algorithm, and we’ve been saying for close to a year that we know how to make very effective equihash ASICs.

@johnwisdom I disagree that acting before fact-finding is the best approach. What if ProgPow turns out to be a really valuable solution? I would rather the Zcash foundation find the best way forward before acting. Changing the parameters might brick the Z9 minis but a new, secret ASIC could quickly be developed once that is announced. This would make GPU miners happy but it would actually undermine fair coin distribution.

I read that article and my statement remains true: he didn’t prove anything.

it would indeed :slight_smile:

EDIT: I ordered an z9. I personally prefer to never use it…

You know that 1080ti is not only GPU in the world?

You could buy 3 1070 and will hash the same like 2 1080Ti…and for less price.
And now if i want to buy this ASIC for Zcash i pay now but will have to wait to september to send me so would arrive at oktober the best…and now is may.
And Bitmain can mine right now with them.

On ASIC in the end only few are left mining…99.999% off other miners are out sooner or little later.

On ASIC in the end only few are left mining…99.999% off other miners are out sooner or little later.

There are new miners here that bought the ASIC and haven’t GPU mined at all. An ASIC does increase accessibility for non-technical users and decreases the overall setup time and other issues like potential electrical fires.

Using Bitcoin as an example, miners are fairly distributed despite the usage of ASICs for years. I don’t believe that only .1% of miners will be around after the switch to ASICs. Blockchain.com Explorer | BTC | ETH | BCH

10 years from now? Who knows what the mining situation will be.

After june shipments (2-3 months) ZEC mining community lose all GPU-members while number of ASIC-members will rise. This didn’t lower net hasrate or stability. Just people who support ZEC from the beginning will be forced to leave to antoher asic-resistant algo’s with their GPU-farms. No harm to ZEC, only to initial miners,that promoted ZEC since day 1.

I’ve supported Zec from the beginning and I’ll continue to do so via ASIC or GPUs depending on what the Zcash foundation finds. My interest in Zcash isn’t second to being able to mine with a gpu.

1 Like

I already ROId, and already purchased 6 z9 to continue my support.

2 Likes

Difficulty just shot up. I am not seeing any news of early shipment of z9 miners. I can only conclude that bitmain increased their farm with their asic miners 1 month before shipping out their asic miners…

Well,like i said before,ASIC’s don’t get the same distribution as GPU, and i can’t buy it even if i want,due country restictions (money not the problem). So you and some few go on with ASIC’s, while many will be overboard

2 Likes

It’s been like that for months now. It go’s way and then down. Nothing new.

Not like this. I usually average .35-.38 per day. 2 days ago it started and I got .32 and yesterday I only got .30… thats a huge difference spike