How to Build an 8 GPU Mining Rig (works for AMD & Nvidia)

Hi guys, I often read that the hashrate on the 8th card in M.2 slot would get lower hashrate, more like 20MHs than 31MHs on ETH from a 1080Ti, is that also your experience ?

Wow, it looks like those can get super hot

I also got the problem that the second M.2-adapter doesnā€™t work to recognize the 8ā€™th card. I will try the in/out/fiddle trick mentioned here.

However in the bios I see only one M.2 setting, and in some videos I saw there were 2 M.2 settings. Can that make any difference?

The reason I came here was to ask what PCIe 1x to 3x splitters @cryptomined was using, then I realized that he just used 2 M.2 adapters :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I hope it works on the second try, or Iā€™ll just have 2 cards lying around as spare parts :slight_smile:

I Have same board AsRock b250 k4 i have buyed a M2 adaptor and installed well, ot works, detect my Asus GTX 1060 Dual OC, but in Windows 10, i receive the code 12, canā€™t find resources for the board.
Its ao frustrating. Have something I cam do to enable all 8 VGAs om this awesome board! I disabled all unnecessary items on bios, and ia not enough to put this on work.

Ive got the Asrock b250 K4 gaming as well. Ive got 6x1060 6GB cards all running well, when i add a 7th via the m.2 socket windows recognises it but wont install a driver for it. It also uninstalls the driver for one of my other cards. It feels like a windows limit as i can bootup with 1 of the cards on a pcie riser unplugged and the 1060 on m.2 card works fine.

Anyone with a B250 gaming K4 managed to get 7 or 8 cards working?

I have same problem here, the gtx was installed but the system do not allocate resources to put the the GPU to work. And Iā€™m the windows 10 we canā€™t change or allocate manually. I disabled all unnecessary itens, change the ssd to Sata 4, put an removal several times the M2 adapter, the m2 ia found on bios Advanced > Storage and not show anything when I connect the VGAā€¦ Someone have any ideia?

Hello guys,
Anyone got this method working on a MSI Z270 SLI Plus?
Works great with 6 gpu, but when I add the M.2 adapter it only recognizes one gpu.
There is any settings on the BIOS you need to change? Power is not an issue since I have 2x evga 1000w.

Hey everyone, I really could use some help and advice. I just finished an 8 gpu build using gtx 1080 Tiā€™s. The mobo I used was ASRock Z270 KILLER SLI/AC LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel. Iā€™m running Windows 10 and can run 6 stable however when add even just one to the m.2 adapter, I have zero stability. I get almost constant program restarts due to unspecified launch failures or get hard system freezes. Iā€™m using 32 Gb of virtual memory and 8 Gb of physical memory. Iā€™m also running a SSD and an i3. Iā€™ve tried two different brands of m.2 adapters and have the same problem. Is it time to trade up to one of the boards from the original posts in this list?

is your m.2 board ver. 2 ?

My 8 gpu rigs are on ASUS Z170 proā€™s

When bring them online, my 2nd GPU was the m.2, then expanded from there.

I am having issues getting my 8th card to work properly. I have an asus z270-p, 2 m.2 adapters. 8 evga GeForce Gtx sc 1070s gpus. 2 evga 750 psu. Windows 7 recognizes all 8 cards but give error 43 on one card. I have 8gb ram and virtual memory set to 32gb. The cards on the two m.2 slots are working. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several time 8th card just keeps giving 43 error message.

Hi. Im using Asrock b250 K4 in windows. However it only detected 4 cards. What is the setting in bios to get all the 6 cards running ?

Excellent guide to build ethereum mining rig, If you want to build with cheap hardwares than visit here. Gpu Mining Rigs in Pakistan

Hey, building my first 8 GPU rig. Any reason why you used 1 molex riser instead of doing all sata risers?

Also, has anyone tried an M.2 to USB 3.0 adapter?

Hi bro! I am looking for information about mounting on the same motherboard, both nvidia and amd, I see that there are no inconveniences, my question is, can I configure both with the afterburner? and in the case of the miners, what do you use to work both? Thank you in advance for your advice. regards

hello, how are you?? Have u used gtx 980 4gb? for mining zcash on windows 10? ive been reading about driver issues. is it true?

I just build a very similar mining rig with 8 gpus using asus prime z270.

I didnā€™t know that m2 to pcie existed before!

What are people using for MoBos these days that easily allow for 8 cards? The most important component for me is at least 7-8 cards quickly detected by Mobo. I have been using Asus Z270 A and AR, but the supply is becoming hard to find. Any insight would be appreciate.

I would add that I have used an Asus Z270 P and it was very difficult to get to work with 8 cards. I was amazed that a Mobo from the same family and manufacturer could be so much more difficult to set upā€¦

Yup that Asus 270 P is much of a headache

Have any one tried MSI Z270 Gaming M5? I am unable to get M.2_2 slot detect my GPU, i dont see anything in device manager. I have updated BIOS and 4G enabled, one strange thing is in BIOS it said M.2 slot empty even i have two GPU plugged.

Hey @cryptomined,

Thank you so much for putting this build together! This is super helpful. Iā€™m curious to know if youā€™ve tried an 8 GPU build on the previous version of this board, the Asus 170-A Deluxe?

I canā€™t seem to get Windows to see the 8th graphics card, specifically on the second PCI-E X1 slot.

Any tips?

Thanks again for all of you help putting this together!