How to Build an 8 GPU Mining Rig (works for AMD & Nvidia)

I tried this morning when riser arrive and i was able to get GPU detected but getting Error Code 43 in device manager. What I’m doing wrong ?

maybe the 4g, but today im a little busy so I wont be able to help on the forums too much.
did you try to enable 4g?

Not yet, i’m just set 3.5 and pcie speed to Gen1 .
I will try soon and keep you update .

Hi crytomined, I’m not finding any Encoding setting in my bios. Just Top of Lower Usable Dram (tolud) and already set to highest

which mainboard are you using?
did you try searching sth like “yourMainBoardModel 8GPU” ?

Asrock B250 Gaming K4.
Already did but i can’t find any information related.

I have the same exact build as you except with 5 GTX 1070s and 3 RX 580s. I am having trouble with getting my last GPU (#8) to show in windows through the bottom m.2 slot. All the GPUs and risers are verified to work as I tried them through the PCIE ports but, I think it may be a bad M.2 to PCIE adapter. I have updated the bios (4G enable), drivers (NVIDIA and AMD), and the OS (Windows 10) but nothing is still showing. So basically I have two M.2 PCIE adapters. One only works in the first M.2 slot (closest to CPU) but not the other M.2 slot, and the second M.2 PCIE adapter doesn’t work in either M.2 slot. I have 2 more M.2 to PCIE adapters coming Friday and one coming from cryptomined.com sometime in the future. Are there any recommendations you have that I can attempt before Friday? I would hate to waste 2 More days of troubleshooting if I find out it wasn’t a bad M.2 to PCIE adapter but, I can’t think of anything else it could be. Thanks for your help!

That M.2 slot(key E) is only specific to a wifi/BT card, in short you can’t run a gpu through it

Somehow Cryptomined got the 8th card to work on the same exact board. At least in the video that was made.

My apologies, I misread when you said “I have the exact same as you” you were referring to the post above you with the Asrock B250 K4.

I think there might be a settings in the bio’s to change the m.2 to work with the pcie adapter?

IF the adapter you have works in one m.2, but not the other, I would lean towards a setting in the bio’s as the issue. I don’t have that board, so I can’t tell you where to look.

Hi @cryptomined
did you need to do any specific steps or bios configuration to get the card that plugged into the M.2 PCIE works?
I managed to get 7 cards that was inserted to PCI slots recoginezed in windows but not the one that was plugged into the M2 PCI slot.
If I plug that card to a normal PCI slot, it is recognized so the riser is OK. I also replace the M.2 PCIE with another one but it does’t work either :frowning:

Thank you for the great tutorial

they are a pain in the ass to get working. my advice is, remove, reseat, repug power… keep doing it until it works… thats what people have found works. once you get it going, its all good though

2 Likes

Hi @CitricAcid, thank you for checking.
I do realize the M.2 Key E support, but in Wikipedia Key E they support up to PCIe x2 too.

Edit:
There are 3 M.2 socket in B250 Gaming K4.
M2_1 and M2_2 M key type and M2_3 E key type.
I’m only using M2_1 and M2_2 because M2_3 unaccessible.

So a GPU with two power plugs on the top both need to be plugged in?

1 Like

the devils or sapphire 580s do not need the 6 pin plugged in

But some of the other cards do require both plugged in? I’m interested in a physical qr code address. I noticed bitcoin has a different address per transaction but zcash and ether is the same address. What about monero?

@cryptomined @maximanima
Can you please tell me, which bios settings have you changed? Have Z170-P and 8x1070 and booting only with 4 of them. Each GPU, each of 8 raisers and 2 M.2toPCIeX are working, each MB slot is working, but can’t start more than 4 GPUs. Win10x64Pro + bios 0810 + all latest chipset and gpu drivers.
I’m getting black dos screen with blinking cursor (underline) when adding fifth card in any slot (
Please help

I’m all ear too… z270-p with 1070… recognised 7 out of 8… the last m.2 just won’t register itself… but that’s not the main point… my hashrates are now less than 10% from the previous even with only 1 card inserted. windows10pro latest bios latest nvidia driver… @FlamingPumpkin I’m curious what’s your current hashrate?

1 Like

@chw39 what are your BIOS settings (which differ from default)???

My hrate is 485-495 per GPU and still only 4are active.

My advise for you is to replug faulty slots. M.2 pins are especially bad-aligned. Try to make a photo and zoom in to see if contact lines are well aligned with pins

Pcie speed… first auto… no good… gen 2 and gen 1 same behaviour… m.2 → pcie, above 4g… ok gonna do some reslot of the card