Here is the EQUIHASH ASIC. Maybe why Zookos didnt answer my question about ASIC and ZEC?

this is a big enough deal for them to take their time, and evaluate. i’m glad they’re not in here posting emotional/incomplete thoughts.

4 Likes

He’s not going to give a “clear statement” because there’s no clear direction. They’re stepping back with a “wait and see” or “stay out of this for now” approach. ASICs will come in, and GPU miners will leave (as probability adjusts). The ZEC fans that can’t afford ASICs (nearly everyone who doesn’t have a small basement or garage “farm”) will redirect their support toward other blockchains.

2 Likes

If the ZEC team doesn’t have any answer for the ASIC intrusion in to the Equihash mining community then I’ll be selling everything I have and moving to another currency. It’s really that simple.

Either you support small, independent, miners or you don’t. Either you are for decentralization or you aren’t. This isn’t a wishy washy question. It’s black and white. Either you prevent ASICs from taking over your network, or you allow it. And if you allow it, you deal with the repercussions.

As for me, I’ll be selling all my ZEC just before the dump.

5 Likes

The debate has been going on heavy for a month. That they have not given an answer is unacceptable and a clear lack of leadership and direction.

3 Likes

a month of debate isn’t much, imo. i’m anti-ASIC, but can still make pro-ASIC arguments.
side note - for what z9 offers price point is on point.

2 Likes

I’m anti-asic, but the economics of it force me to buy one. If there’s one left when I get home tonight.

1 Like

FORK! I didn’t spend $10,000 in gpus and equipment and then not pool hop around to be screwed over by asics and see Zcash become centralized in the hands of a few. Speaking of decentralized, where is the search for consensus in all of this? Or, is it all up to Z man?

3 Likes

That is pretty much how it will play out. Then then story will be, well we can’t fork it off, there isn’t enough hash power left to support the network without them now. A decision needs to be made “now”. Enough of the speculation, it’s a fact now, it does exist. Either endorse it, or forsake it. If your going to forsake ASICs, then you need to be planning a hard fork and what that will entail because your going to need to bring the maintainers of all the mining software(s) into it so they can make adjustments as well.

1 Like

The issue is that you can only buy 1, unless you have a bulk quantity order. Then you can order XXXX.

That is centralization, but worse then anything that is feeding bitmain. They sell their prior unit, as they bring the next unit online. This announcement means that they have started bringing that newer unit online. They very well could be at 51% already.

Do you know the consensus problem with bitcoin? Its owned, controlled and voted on by a few major players. They decide on everything. That is what zec is about to face. Somehow the mgmt here doesnt seem to get that/they dont care.

This is why they need to answer this question:

Did you have or have you had any contact with Bitmain or any other ASIC manufacturer, any of Bitmain or other ASIC manufacturers subsidiaries or agents regarding strategy, implementation, timing, pricing, acceptance of any hardware based ASIC mining equipment?

This is not being pushy. This is preliminary discovery. We need the answer to this. If you keep apprised of US government activities relating to the cryptocurrency sphere, the reason this question is important is obvious.

1 Like

That is a very good point indeed

1 Like

parameter adjustments to the memory requirements are most likely all that is needed.

True, but will that require a small change to mining software?? I don’t know, do you?

To go “big blocks” with other algos has not, but it does require a fork I believe.

Please fork it…
don’t be a joke

1 Like

I hate ASIC too. Please fork if possible, ASIC is centralized!

2 Likes

ASIC in itself is not the problem. In-fact a GPU is also an ASIC. What is the problem is that a few manufacturers will dominate the market with equipment that is dedicated. Where general purpose consumer miners provided a very diverse group that support the consensus mechanism. Some use Linux, other windows or even Android and Mac. Some use Nivida, AMD and in the near future Intel and there is a verity of equihash software out now. Of which some are even opensource. It is highly unlikely with such a diverse group that there will be an easy exploit that can threaten the network. Unlike ASIC miners that in all likelihood has a backdoor programmed in or a few bugs. If there is some exploit then GPU miners can easily update their software where ASIC miners can’t.

forget about the small-time miners. They are screwed regardless of ASIC or not. It’s about the diversity of the coins consensus mechanism. Think about a disease hitting a homogeneous population that has little resistance to that disease. That population will become extinct if the disease is lethal. But if the population has diversity then some will be affected but others will be resistant. if Zooko /Zcash does not see the threat then they should suffer the consequences

It really depends on the zcash philosophy. If decentralization is the essence of the zcash then having your consensus mechanism in the control of one entity is a thread. GPU/CPU mining provides a divers and robust community which will prevent a single point of attack. It is not really about ASIC as it is about the thread of manipulations by one single entity. if Zcash has decentralization, Privacy and security at its core it should fork.

8 Likes

this is not accurate. A GPU is not an ASIC.

Agreed Cryptomon. I wish people would stop trying to associate a GPU with a ASIC. One is specialize graphical processor (but can do more than graphics), the other is a device purpose built to serve only one specific function and cannot be changed. A GPU is capable to doing many things that are not graphics related. GPU has more in common with a CPU than either have with an ASIC.

Did you read the first sentence and then stop? Cpu is also an asic depending on how you define the A.

No I think he was pointing out the only inaccurate statement he saw in your post. A GPU is NOT an ASIC…and neither is a CPU. A GPU is not a CPU per se, but it has far more in common with a CPU than an ASIC. ASIC’s are purpose built for a single use function (one specific task) and cannot be re-purposed to do anything else (alright, maybe a door stop). That is NOT true with a CPU and a GPU, granted a GPU is more specialized than a CPU (IE graphical functions), but it is still generalized in nature. It can be used in a multitude of ways depending on the software you implement. You can’t do that with an ASIC.

Why is that important? The easiest way to lose a logical argument is to allow inaccurate statements to stand. They will frequently be used as support against your position.