Anyone still GPU mining ZCash?

There is no evidence that ASICs increase centralization more than botnets or massive gpu farms. Anyone can buy ASICs aside from a few countries.

1 Like

Well for a lot of people GPU mining zec is approaching the power costs now. Looks like the market could take a major dump from here.

2 Likes

:point_right:t4: If you have questions you want to put to the Zcash project and third-parties involved in mining, please add them to this thread:

1 Like

Wow z9 and that 50k sols machine must be coming online. Difficulty is close to the high and price still falls. GPU zec miners are getting wrecked.

Yep, about 700 units from Z9 mini batch have been shipped some days ago, seems they arriving in their destinations now and getting online. I guess the same goes for the Innosilicons these days …

Bring on 144.5. Going to be a fun Equihash after that.

1 Like

Jeps, calculator keeps on going down, lost 20 % today it seems. This will be an important week, already lose with a kwh of 0.22 and a declining Zec price. No problem a while ago, but with the Asics online, I think I am done very soon. Makes me sad.

This isn’t just zec. It’s across the entire crypto-mining space. Further, in the long-run ASICs will probably increase zec’s price because of the added difficulty. More rare → higher price.

1 Like

I was more talking about a 20% decline in what the rigs bring in. I still believe in Crypto and I am not planning on dying soon, so I hodl all the way. Still believe all will be back on track some day, could even be in two weeks, never know in Crypto. Bears could be here for a long time, time will tell. If Asics will increase the price I don’t know, I myself don’t believe in the Asic story, but that’s another topic hehe

I’m looking for a weaker stock market, just like gold and silver rise in a bearish stock market I believe crypto will too. :crossed_fingers:

Mine and buy all the coins you can now.

Hello everyone! I think that ASIC’s are a good thing and do not jeopardize the decentralization that is the strength of cryptocurrency, especially the Zcash. This ASIC from BITMAIN will on the contrary democratize and strengthen the cryptocurrencies that will let this technology pass through their network, because these ASIC’s are efficient, consume little energy and are at prices accessible to the general public. $ 850 as of 25/06/2018 (BITMAIN Shop); it’s almost the same price as one of the last iPhone from Apple.

When we read that Apple has sold the Iphone 7 to 32 million units worldwide in Q2 2017 (Dernières news IT, sécurité, transformation numérique et réseaux - ZDNet model-the-most-sold-in-the-world-39858430.htm), such a success for a cryptocurrency would be great in the framework of decentralization.

Morality, so let to the players the graphics cards; they will say thank you, because will have a better availability on the graphics card market and will no longer blame the miners to drive up the prices of their graphics cards.

Best regards.

1 Like

what a bunch of BS 1st iam not willing to toss 1 mount payment for a single purpose device with
2. questionable ROI
3.with 0 resell value
4 runing on high temps with a lot of noice
5 and have no warranty for the device what so ever
and of course yest they jeopardize the decentralization due to bitmain as well as others mine on them before they will sell/ship them to the customers what is making a huge centralized hashrate power on one side …eater way i dont give a dam about zcash anymore since they claimed to be asic resistant from the start of the project and when shit hit the fan everyone started to turn around not even thinking about the promise they give to all the miners that supported the coin with GPUs that will be out if the game after asic adoption …

2 Likes

My gues is that in about 3 months a 50.000 sol Asic will be the same as a Nvidia1050 2gb now.

like there still will be coins where you can use them
but on the other hand the high coin emission made by asics can drive the price pretty low
as in my opinion this is how it will end that the coins of equihash algos will be divided into these that are asic resistant and keep the promise they give to everyone and these which didnt and let the asics in the game.
these witch let asics in will be mined only by asics since the Gpus miners will be pushed away from them because they wont be profitable anymore and they end up as BTC where bitmain has over 40% of total hashrate already

1 Like

Yup, i still mining with 6x R9 280x , undervolted, underclocked, bios modded, but currently it’s only for electricity costs. Want to see what overwinter update will change…
If nothing i’ll sell the rig.
Can’t switch to eth because of only 3gb vram.
I have different rigs for eth.

u can mine with 3 GB cards but u will need to go for linux or dowgrade to old win that isnt allocating the gpus memory

Thanks for info but i’m not familiar with linux.

I read the article you linked and honestly interpret their results as Monero and Zcash were the most profitable to mine. If Zec sticks with the current alogrithm, I feel it will be more like the Dash analysis by the next review.

I highly doubt that the network difficulty will explode like other coins in the short-term. At least 1/3rd of the network could be ASICs right now and the difficulty has remained flat. All things being equal, using less electricity for the same hashpower is good.

2 Likes

SMOS or Hive should accomplish the same and are easy to configure.