Optimized vbios settings for performance / power saving

• Added Sapphire R9 290X 4GB
1 Like

Hi you could tell me where to download the modified bios version for: Sapphire RX 470 8 GB OC and tell me if I still work 396 H / s for mining zcash?

ok, i just tried to flash my msi rx 470 8gb gaming x videocard.
i have saved the bios with atiwinflash (original.rom), did a 1500 strap with polaris editor, saved the rom under a new name (modded.rom).
after that i rebooted, and the card is no longer recognized by windows.
i could flash it back after a little fuzz from atiwinflash which at first gave me some errors, now everything is back to normal again.

is it normal that windows does not recognize the card anymore? it still sees it, but says it’s not working properly after i flashed it with the modded rom.

Request for XFX RX 470 RS Triple X RX-470P436BM 4GB
Thank you,

Sounds like you are using older drivers and need to make changes as driver checks signature of bios rom, AMD removed this check in latest drivers so any driver released in last month will get you past this problem or jump over to bitcoin talk ether thread and you will find necessary steps to use old drivers with modded roms, hope this helps

Hi

do you have modded vbios for ref RX480 8GB ?
thanks!

@teosanru : You can find Sapphire RX 470 8GB roms here https://anorak.tech/Anoraks-VBIOS-collection

@zcrash : Like @Stealth8368 says, this sounds like the drivers are checking the signature. Use the latest 16.11.5 Hotfix drivers, which you find here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

@William1 & @imish I will fix some roms for you guys. Please upload the backup of your roms, then I can be sure to use the correct versions for you guys. :slight_smile:

@AnorakSupra I managed to mess up my RX 480 Nitro+ OC 4GB card by possibly flashing the wrong memory type BIOS over it in Boost mode but didn’t make a backup. Now I have 0 mhz speeds showing in GPUz and card mines at 40 Mh/s. Is the BIOS list for RX 480 4GB on your web site compatible with this card or is there a separate 4GB OC version?

I have been having problems with my RX 470s showing up as 0mhz after flashing new BIOS and flashing original backup still GPUz showing empty stats. Are you aware of any particular reasons for GPU-z to show innacurate info?

I am not at home right now. I will have a look into this in a bit. :slight_smile:

After flashing your card and rebooting, click on reset in Sapphire trixx and reboot again. This usually resets the 0 MHz bug. I experience this with my rx470 as well.

1 Like

Just let me know how it goes. :blush:

I am at work myself. Thanks for your quick assistance!

1 Like

original bios: Reference Sapphire RX 480 8 GB

thank you for your help! @AnorakSupra :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • Added Sapphire RX480 8GB Reference Samsung
1 Like

@AnorakSupra and @Stealth8368 thanks a lot for your responses. i have updated to the 16.11.5 hotfix drivers and that did the trick. it increased just a little in mining zec as well as eth, but hey, it’s extra, and when it works… why not :slight_smile:
nice experiment anyway!

what i also noticed is that when i try to open atwinflash that it does not always work. sometimes it gives me an error reading rom. however, when i start the miner it does work. i have the feeling that one of my gpu’s is getting not enough voltage (with default voltage) to be able to ‘work’ in idle mode. note that i don’t have any external things connected to fake a monitor on it, i’m just doing a remote desktop to it. i have 2 msi rx 470 8gb gaming x gpu’s in it.
if i check them with wattool i see that the second gpu (the one with not having enough voltage somehow i have the feeling in idle mode) is having the mV on p7 with 1100, while the other one is having 1150 (also p3, p4, p5 and p6 are lower on the second gpu compared to the first gpu). i know i can adjust it of course, but this is just how it came out of the box, they just seem to differ from each other. weird?
i don’t consider it an issue, i just can undervolt the second one less, because by default it is using already less anyway than the first gpu.

anyway, i’m happy that i got the strap working, thanks again.
next step i might look into is to undervolt them in the bios, not sure yet.as said, now i’m doing that with wattool, which is also fine by me (for now).

1 Like

Nope. Your motherboard puts the cards into sleep mode to save power. You can disable this with Sapphire TRIXX with the option “Disable ULPS”. Make sure to disable ULPS when working on the settings of the cards while they are not under load.

That each card has different voltages is normal. The volage is calculated for each card. And as they differ in quality and fabrication tolerances, this is normal. :slight_smile:

thanks, that worked, one issue less again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m having problems with rx480.
I’ve used memshift bios. Set claymore miner with clock 1191. Voltage is 1.01V.
It crashes when i cancel mining.
What voltages U use for rx480, and clock of course.

Memshift uses stock clocks and voltage.
Just shifted memory timings.

1.01mV is very low. Give it some more juice. :wink:

@AnorakSupra, first of all thank you very much for your hardwork! you explained everything very clearly actually.
However I am noob at GPUs! :slight_smile:

I have 1000W EVGA and 750W Corsair Power supplies and I want less power usage in order to make 6 GPU at 1000W.

I saw that below;

Can you please tell me;

• How to see which memory brand by Sapphire is working/which program shows?
    -For 101W - which file to download for Sapphire RX470 4GB Nitro (Sapphire 11256-01-20G)
    -For 110W - which file to download for Sapphire NITRO RX 480 4GB GDDR5 UEFI

Thank you again. You rock!