Amazon.com 6 x RX 470/480 4/8GB GPU Mining Rig Shopping List - DIY

When you say two risers per molex? The psu I am going to get has a single connection coming from it with 3 seperate molex connections on it. I would think that running those 3 each into 3 seperate risers would be ok?

People have done it and it can work on three risers per run, but depending upon the amp load you can overheat the wires and or connectors. This could happen day 1 or it might not happen until day 201, but it is running past the recommended specifications. This can cause a short, sparks, and/or a fire. If this is in the middle of night and the miner is in your house it can be dangerous.

If you under-volt your cards and have lower overall power draw you might be able get away with it, but if you plan to mine and buy new rigs in the future, I would try to get a power supply that can provide the number of Molex 4-pin connectors you need so that you do not exceed 2 risers per run.

Updated post with actual rig purchase specs. Under $2k for everything.

I’m getting stuck on this step. Do you have any pics/video of how all 3 connections to the gpu look? (8-pin power from psu, riser card usb, and molex/sata).

Couldn’t you get away with this? I don’t really see a reason for 1300W PSU.

Mathematically speaking, by going with this you get your risers and power button for free. (Save ~$58)

1000w isn’t enough for 6 GPUs

My 480 rigs currently draw at worst 770W for 6 cards so there is still a fair bit of leeway (that being said I do have a 1300W PSU on it)

Which 1300w psu do you guys recommend? Would any work or should we go for the best?

Are you using a kill-a-watt ?

770W I would guess on ZEC mining

Ethereum should be closer to 1000w.

EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200W 80 Plus Platinum is the best IMHO

1 Like

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332027587294

What you guys think of this? Worth it or not?

Doesn’t look good at all to me. Those are 6 pin PCI-E used on ASIC miners.

1 Like

Thank you i think il pass on that 1 then

1 Like

Compared to the 1300w evga is it worth paying extra for 1300w? Its only about $30 difference

1300w EVGA is gold rated (80%+) the 1200w one is platinum

Either one will do (I have both)

1 Like

thre is 1300G2 -gold
or 1300P2 Platinum
and I think there is a titanium T2?

Looks like I’ve found some folks quite serious about mining.

I have, and can build for anyone who motivates me in coin, a full datacenter mining operation that doesn’t bother with hard disks and updates in unison.

It’s not cheap, but it shouldn’t be.

Have fingers, will travel.

1 Like

I think times are changing in regards to the CPU requirement. In the past the cheapest CPU you could find worked great for mining as it was basically idle most of the time. Now with ZCash mining it seems there is a benefit to having a higher performing CPU, in not only can you run a few mining threads on your CPU in conjunction with your GPU mining, but the GPU miners seem to perform a bit better with a higher performing CPU as well.

The Intel i3 series seems to be a sweet spot right now. Claymore’s latest miner is getting a few % more sols when used in rigs with a i3 versus a lower Celeron or Pentium. The i3 series starts around $120 so you would be basically doubling your CPU budget. Looking at your current list, I think this could easily be offset in some places, one obvious spot is the frame. $200 is a lot for a frame and a DYI solution could be done for half that easily, and under $50 with a bit more creativity and effort. Myself I would double your CPU budget from ~$60 to $120 and cut your frame budget in half.

Here is a quick look at what I mean. I have circles where you use the 4-pin Molex cables supplied with your PSU to connect into the riser boards directly and not using the SATA to 4-pin Molex adapter cables that are often supplied with these types of riser boards.

The bottom card has a different, heavier gauge, connector that also plugs into the 4-pin Molex connectors, these are also acceptable and can buy you some flexibility. The key take-away is don’t use the SATA adapter cables, use 4-pin Molex directly when possible as they can supply up to 9 AMPs (> 100 watts) whereas the SATA can only supply 4.5 AMPs (~50 watts) of power. Since a GPU could draw up to 75 watts from the PCIe slot, you can see the problem.

The 6 or 8-pin PCIe connector should be self-explanatory, simply use the cable that comes with your PSU. In both cases, Molex and PCIe connectors, do not put more that 2 GPUs on a single cable run. With the better PSUs, this should not be a problem as they provide plenty of PCIe and 4-pin Molex connector to easily support 6 GPUS.

Also note the wire 6 shelf rack. These can be found for ~$100, if you have a SAMS club they sell an excellent one that has wheels so you can move the rack around. Home Depot sells one too for around $100, but they want an extra $20 for the wheels. You can easily get 6 rigs setup in one of these, maybe even up to 9, so your frame costs would be down $20/rig with some zip ties and a non-conductive surface to mount your mobo to thrown in.

1 Like

EVGA 1300 G2 Gold. A beast with 10 year warranty.
You can get used one for $110-125 in US.
I use them for btc/eth and now zec.

1 Like