Amazon.com 6 x RX 470/480 4/8GB GPU Mining Rig Shopping List - DIY

I would avoid running or even putting the motherboard on that rug

1 Like

Its acutally a few inches off the ground there but nevertheless its still riskyā€¦ it will be moved well away from rug i can assure you lolā€¦ but thank you guys for making this happen

1 Like

What are those standoff feet your motherboard is on? On the wire rackā€¦ source?

1 Like

Also newegg.com has a sale on R9 Fury $259 plus a $20 mail in rebate comes to $239 sale until 12/7/16. I piked up 6 and other rig parts also on the wayā€¦

SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 Fury 100379NTOC+SR 4GB 4096-Bit HBM TRI-X OC+ (UEFI) Video Card

Isnā€™t the rebate for only 1 gpu per household?

Iā€™m not sure but the price alone is a huge break. Amazon has them over
$300. I did not buy them based on the rebate. The sale price alone was
enough for me

Hi,

Iā€™m Karl from PandaMiner.

PandaMiner is a global leading and professional manufacturer of mining hardware.

We have just launched our new GPU intergrated miner, PandaMiner B1 Plus (8 * RX480), a professional altcoin mining rig which supports multiple hashing algorithms such as Ethash (Ethereum and Ethereum Classic), Equihash (ZCash and ZClassic), CryptoNight (Monero), LBRY, and other GPU minable cryptocurrencies.

For more info please visit www.pandaminer.com

Anyone using mSata cards instead of external ssd with sata cable?

Like thisā€¦

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-MSA370-mSATA-Solid-TS32GMSA370/dp/B00K67E5DA/

I second the question about the standoff feet. I have put together many computers but never with a rack like that. I understand some of the screws on the motherboard need to be grounded special (?) - any tips to how that is done or if that is necessary from anyone? I was thinking of using corkboard with layers of cardboard as standoff feet as the corkboard isnā€™t conductive.

I would recommend against using corkboad or cardboard due to the potential fire hazard issues.

Some people have used the spacers used for tiling work and zip ties through the screw holes to secure their mobos. The tile spacers for the bigger flooring tiles work great and are cheap, you can get a box of like 500 for just a few bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/QEP-10005Q-Spacers-Spacing-200-Piece/dp/B000FK41MI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1488717078&sr=8-9&keywords=tile+spacers

They are little X shaped plastic spacers that are perfect to place under the mounting hole and then use a zip tile to wrap through the hole, around one side of the spacer and a wire on the shelf then up on the other side of the spacer and edge of the mobo to secure the connection. Just a few of these per mobo is needed to keep it safely spaced above the wire shelving.

EDIT: I also see they have a U shaped spacer that might work too, but they are a bit more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QKZ0XQK/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_3_w

Thank you for the reply! I have purchased those spacers while thinking on how to best proceed. I also found some plastic L brackets that may work on some configuration: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L6Q5F4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - relatively inexpensive for the amount of them I get - originally these worked as pinball/video arcade mobo mounts. Though as motherboards rarely get above 60 C so not sure that cork board would be a problem - though I am considering now linoleum instead as even less flammable. The reason I am still considering a board to put the mobo on is still my apprehension on grounding the board with grounding screws. Videos Iā€™ve seen show people ignoring them; I do know that the 20 pin does have a grounding wire from the power supply to the mobo. Those who ignore them state that they are an overkill assurance that everything is grounded. Iā€™d prefer that overkill, call me paranoid. I am going to look into getting those L brackets grounded; ideas include getting the linoleum coated in aluminum foil that makes contact with the wire (foil would be glued down TIGHT to linoleum so no chance of hitting mobo when using the L brackets) and making sure the screws make contact. Certainly those spacers you mentioned would be easier if not considering ground along the mobo.
I have almost all the parts here and I am going to start with 2 RX480 GPUs on a mobo capable of 6. I have read also how (again bracing on paranoia maybe) that more than 3 GPUs should have an extra power supply All the risers need to be powered by ground by the same psu so they have common ground and the power of the remaining 3 should be by a second psu that powers up in sequence by one of these: Add2PSU Multiple Power Supply Adapter - Run Multiple Power Supplies Together - Newegg.com ā€” this will depend on what my kill-a-watt tells me on power draw. Again, the caution with the common ground and the 2 psu switch is to prevent an electrical fire.
I do appreciate your help and anyone elseā€™s suggestions! What fun!

Iā€™m seeing discontinued on the motherboard listed in the build at the top.

MSI Z97 Intel LGA 1150 DDR3 USB 3.0 ATX Gaming Motherboard

What motherboard is everyone using now?

Iā€™m having the same dilema.
Was making a shopping list today and couldnā€™t get the motherboard.

I guess we have to look for a 3 x PCIe x16 + 3 x PCIe x1 one.
Am I correct ?

Any sugestions ?
Thank you.

maybe look at MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON ā†’ 7 PCIE-E slots
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2016/02/msi-z170a-gaming-pro-carbon-review/z170a-pro-carbon-0-1280x1024.jpg

1 Like

thank you (:slight_smile:

Donā€™t use Al foil for grounding, itā€™s an unreliable conductor due to its tendency to oxidize. If you insist on grounding the mobo mount points use a proper conductor tied back to a common ground point or just use a piece of sheet metal as in a PC case for chassis ground.

Once you have a second PSU you will need to tie chassis ground for each PSU together (technically not a common ground point). The worst thing you can do to your rig is have multiple ground points at different potentials causing ground loops, and this is also a good way you start a fire. You are better off leaving the mobo and Add2PSU to tie the grounds together as they has been designed to do. A chassis ground is never a bad idea, but if its not done correctly it can cause more harm than good.

1 Like

I was checking for some motherboards as well looks like the 1151 socket are the ones to get now.

What do you think about the msi z170a sli plus ( mb-z170asp ).

Looks decent, has 6 pcie slots

Hello,

can someone tell me where to buy this parts for the manboard spacing?

1 Like

look at this message:

I can tell you the MSI B250 Gaming M3 only supports 4. Even though it has 6 PCI-e slotsā€¦